Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Reading for fun
1  2  Next

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 10:10 pm
Does any one have any suggestions for some light reading? I like to read before I go to sleep, and I'm always looking for something new. I like mysteries and historical/biographical. Secular is ok.

RedVines

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 10:42 pm
there is a great book called Akiva, not sure of the author (publisher: feldheim or artscroll) It is so wonderfully written and you really get an inside look of Rabbi Akivas life,

Maeve Binchy, I have read all her books, light, good stories.

I am desperate for a good read,too!!!!

stem

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 10:50 pm
I don't read many secular authors, but one of the most unbelievable ones out there is Jeffery Archer. Those books will stay with you long after you finish reading them. If you like suspense, you'll love his "the eleventh commandment" if you like a more of an epic story line, read "cain and able" or "as the crow flies". He also has books of short stories that are amazing.

deedee

Post Fri, Nov 04 2005, 1:20 am
Quote:
It is so wonderfully written and you really get an inside look of Rabbi Akivas life,

on the flip side there is a really good fictional book called 'and Rachel was his wife' it tells the story based on real facts of how it was to be the wife of rabbi akiva I read it a while ago and now I'm gonna read it again.

RedVines

Post Fri, Nov 04 2005, 12:40 pm
I just finished it last shabbos, it was very quick read although I felt it was childish (IMO)

chen

Post Fri, Nov 04 2005, 1:00 pm
Anything by Naomi Ragen, but be prepared to cry. Also if you are charedi be prepared to be a bit insulted by some of her books in which the charedi community does not come out smelling like a rose.

Anything by Miss Manners (Judith Martin). you wouldn't think etiquette books could be entertaining, but she is!

Marissa Piesman has several very light mysteries featuring Nina Fischman, a single Jewish woman lawyer who is also looking for "the right one". You'll love her mother, Ida.

The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky: by Farah Ahmedi,Tamim Ansary. A remarkable teenager's struggle to survive after losing her home, a leg and most of her family in the Afghan civil war. You'll be in awe of her courage and determination.

Breaking Clean by Judy Blunt: Autobiography of a woman rancher in Montana.

Don Aslett books: For Packrats Only; Clutter's Last Stand. Organization and decluttering. LOL funny. If you don't recognize yourself, you'll recognize others.

stem

Post Fri, Nov 04 2005, 1:09 pm
Naomi Ragen portrays orthodox judaism falsely. They are a chillul Hashem IMO. I wouldn't reccomend her books on this site (or anywhere else for that matter.)

1stimer

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 3:30 pm
Jeffrey archer is very good. But my favorite is john grisham.

RivkaS

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 4:56 pm
I love, read and re-read Agatha Christie it is even online, and I am proofreading a phantasie-novel that will be b"h publishe online somewhere around next year (maybe summer... ) that is breakfast-reading every day.

Rivka

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 5:08 pm
Agatha Christie books are great!!!
The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time" by Mark Haddon is amazing!
It has bad lanuage, but that;s about it and it's written in the perspective of a teen with autism. It's very good.
Other good book to read is My Sister's Keeper by Jodie Picoult.

Tefila

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 7:55 pm
Yair weinstock "the quest and the Judge" also blackout and Bankers trust if u like suspense and mystery these r for u Wink

stem

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 8:43 pm
freilich, are you saying "the quest" and "the judge" are by yair wienstock?? They're not. They are by Libby Lazewnik. Great books!

Tefila

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 9:14 pm
Thanks stem embarrassed ok so perhaps it's blackout and the Bankers trust that are Scratching Head

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 11:21 am
THanks for all the suggestions. This should keep me busy for awhile. Smile

Re: "Akiva" --- I have read this three times already! Love it! I read it first while in the hospital with my last baby and we almost named him Akiva.

lucky

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 7:28 pm
I like reading Dave Barry. Some of his books are a bit crude, but some are great. Also the books by erma bombeck, and chicken soup for the soul.

shayna82

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 8:10 pm
the john grisham books are good if you are into secular crime/law

zkalan

Post Sat, Nov 12 2005, 9:18 pm
I just finished reading The Da Vinci Code by John Brown I think, excellent book. Highly recommend it!

Pearl

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 3:58 am
I didn't want to open up a new thread re books, but just wanted to post for your information:

chanukah discount of 20% on artscroll.com and targumpress.com (and they ship for free in the usa, canada and israel!)

chen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 8:31 am
feldheim, too.

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 10:56 am
Also you can spin the dreidel and win $2, $4 etc. towards a purchase. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room