Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Sheet-Pan Harissa Salmon With Potatoes and Citrus

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 9:38 am
This was delicious and quite simple to make. WIth the addition of a bagged green salad it is a well balanced meal

I used Yukon Gold split in half because I really enjoy their taste but fingerlings would also be good. I prefer this to the little red potatoes.

You can make the marinade ahead of time but I wouldn't actually put it on the fish until you pop the potatoes in the oven because marinating fish for too long starts to degrade the flesh as it "cooks" it and changes the texture

Sheet-Pan Harissa Salmon With Potatoes and Citrus

* YIELD 
4 servings

* TIME
 30 minutes

Julia Gartland for The New York Times.

In this 30-minute recipe, harissa, ginger and orange are combined to create a vibrant, spicy marinade for rich salmon fillets. The potatoes and red onion get a jump-start roasting, while the fish takes a quick dip in the marinade. Then the salmon is added to the sheet pan so everything finishes cooking together. This meal looks impressive right on the pan, so serve it from there and cut down on cleanup. You’ve got better things to do.

INGREDIENTS

* 4 (6-ounce) skin-on salmon fillets, about 1- to 1½-inches thick
* Kosher salt and black pepper
* 2 to 3 tablespoons mild or spicy harissa paste, depending on your preference
* 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
* 1 garlic clove, grated
* ½ teaspoon orange zest
* ¼ cup orange juice (from about ½ orange)
* 1 pound small potatoes, such as baby red or fingerlings, cut in half lengthwise
* 1 small red onion, peeled, quartered and cut into ½-inch wedges
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped, both leaves and tender stems
* 3 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced on an angle, both white and green parts
* Flaky salt, for serving

PREPARATION

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Lay salmon on a plate, and season with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, whisk together harissa, ginger, garlic, orange zest and juice. Spoon the mixture over the flesh and sides of the fish, and let marinate at room temperature.

2. Meanwhile, line a sheet pan with parchment paper (or use a nonstick sheet pan). In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes and onion with the olive oil, and season well with salt and pepper. Arrange them on the sheet pan in 1 layer, leaving 4 spaces for the salmon fillets to be added later. Roast until the potatoes are beginning to brown and are almost cooked through, about 20 minutes.

3 Add the salmon to the sheet pan skin-side down, and roast until the fish is opaque and cooked through and the potatoes are crisp, about 8 minutes more. Scatter cilantro and scallions over everything, and season with flaky salt.

scruffy

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 9:41 am
This sounds amazing! Do you think the harissa could be subbed with sriracha?

rivkam

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 9:45 am
Hmm I wonder what mild harissa paste is like. The ones that I've found in Israel are very spicy so I have to modify recipes accordingly! Looks like a yummy recipe

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 9:50 am
scruffy wrote:
This sounds amazing! Do you think the harissa could be subbed with sriracha?

You can modify any recipe but I think harissa has a different taste than merely being a hot sauce - I think it is a bit more complex

Here is the list of ingredients for one harissa recipe so you can see that it is more than just "hot". Harissa is one of those dishes that has a lot of different recipes so I am just using an example to illustrate that its flavor profile is more complex than just being "hot" like sriracha

Effectively it is subbing as a shortcut for a lot of other flavors

You can buy the paste and there are powders that are available as well if you want to make those into a paste.
15 dried chiles de árbol
2 dried guajillo chiles
1 dried ancho chile
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1½ teaspoons coriander seeds
3 garlic cloves, smashed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1½ teaspoons hot smoked Spanish paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup olive oil, divided

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 9:51 am
rivkam wrote:
Hmm I wonder what mild harissa paste is like. The ones that I've found in Israel are very spicy so I have to modify recipes accordingly! Looks like a yummy recipe

Why not use a power and then tone it down with more neutral elements like oil or tomato paste?

Or make your own with fewer chilies?

scruffy

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 9:52 am
Amarante wrote:
You can modify any recipe but I think harissa has a different taste than merely being a hot sauce - I think it is a bit more complex

Here is the list of ingredients for one harissa recipe so you can see that it is more than just "hot". Harissa is one of those dishes that has a lot of different recipes so I am just using an example to illustrate that its flavor profile is more complex than just being "hot" like sriracha

Effectively it is subbing as a shortcut for a lot of other flavors

You can buy the paste and there are powders that are available as well if you want to make those into a paste.
15 dried chiles de árbol
2 dried guajillo chiles
1 dried ancho chile
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1½ teaspoons coriander seeds
3 garlic cloves, smashed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1½ teaspoons hot smoked Spanish paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup olive oil, divided

Got it, very interesting - I would probably use sriracha and add cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika. Thanks Smile

rivkam

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 11:19 am
Amarante wrote:
Why not use a power and then tone it down with more neutral elements like oil or tomato paste?

Or make your own with fewer chilies?

I could try making my own to modify how spicy it is. I don't think I've ever seen it in powder form before.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 11:44 am
Yum! If there are two things I love they are harissa and salmon.

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 12:16 pm
rivkam wrote:
I could try making my own to modify how spicy it is. I don't think I've ever seen it in powder form before.

It is widely available - Like "chili powder" the recipe can vary and I you would have to determine what a particular blend is kosher

Jamie Geller sells a blend which is obviously kosher. I don't know how good it is or whether pricing is too high.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics