Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Israeli child tests positive for polio
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 4:47 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I am skeptical regarding these initial reports regarding this case, were this all true then it would have happened before globally.
Waiting patiently for the dust to settle and facts to coalesce and be verified.

Particularly nowadays when I just heard on my radio that two previously reported two deaths some months ago in the US and which were loudly proclaimed by the media and teachers' unions to be the reason not to reopen schools as they claimed due to these children coming home from school and infecting and killing their respective parents were in fact now proven FALSE. One parent had covid but died with covid due to a different reason. The other died from alcoholism and alcohol poisoning and did not even test positive for Covid.

It may be because Israel still uses the OPV.

Why was oral polio vaccine discontinued?
Use of the oral polio vaccine was discontinued in the UK in 2004 and the US in 2000, and the UN agency advises that the use of the oral vaccine should be discontinued after polio is judged to be eradicated because of the risk of vaccine-derived outbreaks.

Genius

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 5:35 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
So because it's uncomfortable and awful, it's less true or legitimate? Good to know.

Also good to know that in your book, anything you don't like is considered idiocy.

What is supposed to be true or legitimate? You decided that polio will get rid of covid. Evidence?
Hashem can leave both or get rid of both. For some reason you decided it’s either or and make awful declarations based on your own, far from proven theory. I call that idiocy. What I like or dislike is completely irrelevant.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 5:51 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
In 2013 they found traces of polio in the sewage and there was fear (that never became reality) that someone unvaccinated would contract the virus.

It's self-understood that those who choose not to vaccinate are not going to vaccinate just because there was polio in the sewage, so what the government did was push all the vaccinating parents to protect the elderly and immunocompromised, and also to protect all the anti-vaxxers' kids, and get the OPV. After three doses of IPV, the OPV is safe. IPV, meanwhile, requires a series to be effective, and OPV without IPV is not safe, so in addition to the fact that the unvaxxed kids were not going to get vaxxed, it was quicker to just shove OPV down the vaxxers' kids throats (literally).

After they reinstated the OPV they just kept it in the schedule. But the point was to prevent unvaxxed kids from getting sick and passing it on. Or in other words, to allow anti-vaxxers to keep their privilege.

But the point is that this was done to PROTECT those who can't be vaccinated (IPV lets you be a carrier but not be sick; OPV doesn't let you be a carrier). And everyone who gave their kid OPV was told to keep their kid away from anyone elderly or immunocompromised for two weeks, just in case.

Actually, OPV is not given "to protect the unvaxxed." OPV sheds and thus creates secondary passive immunization in the unvaccinated. This is one of the reasons OPV and not IPV is used in third world countries. In locations where many people don't have access to direct vaccinations, herd immunity can be achieved with OPV due to secondary passive immunization.

The irony is that since OPV rather than IPV is given to ward off an impending outbreak, it actually increases the risk of more polio infections. Most cases of polio world-wide in the last 20-30 years were vaccine-induced polio.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 5:57 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
And this is how unvaxxed people are a danger to society. The more unvaxxed we have, the more the diseases can circulate, the more those who can't be vaccinated are put at risk.

In terms of such horrible diseases like polio, the resistance is mind boggling. Hopefully, this one case will be sufficient to change up some things. I see that the Rabbonim are calling for all unvaxxed in the area to be vaxxed immediately. B'H. Hopefully, this can be nipped in the bud, before the negative repercussions worsen.

And this is why moshiach is not here yet.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 7:00 pm
Not read the full thread but wanted all israeli imas to know: polio vax is part of mechumeshet. Its on pg5 of the pinkas. There are 4 shots in total. If given on time they will be at 2mnths, 4 mnths, 6 mnths and then 1yr.
Please check ur kids have had these shots. Most tipot chalav are doing 'yemei mivtza' in the coming week where u can bring kids without an appt just for the shot..

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 8:30 pm
Nobody should be "blaming" anyone. Or using this seemingly tragic situation of one child for any ulterior motives, purposes, or agendas.
Hopefully this child will be ok. Perhaps even a misdiagnose IY"H. Hopefully only one child. Though one afflicted is one too many.
Hashem Is In Charge.
We do our hishtadlus.
There is no comparison between the polio vaccine and the covid vaccines.
Polio vaccine confers virtually lifelong immunity after childhood immunizations.
Risk benefit.
While no vax is perfect for everyone the risks of getting polio outweigh the clear benefit of relatively safe tried and true tested now for over 6 decades yes over 60 years.
No rationale for all or nothing overly simplistic thinking ie all vaccines or none. Or one size fits all on everything.
Each make our own choice with our dr.
B'achdus lev echad we triumph.
No need to divide anti vaxxers versus vaxxers and so on.
Simply wanted to set the record straight about polio in case some may not know.
Ask your dr.
May Hashem Watch over all of us for revealed good.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:26 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Actually, OPV is not given "to protect the unvaxxed." OPV sheds and thus creates secondary passive immunization in the unvaccinated. This is one of the reasons OPV and not IPV is used in third world countries. In locations where many people don't have access to direct vaccinations, herd immunity can be achieved with OPV due to secondary passive immunization.

The irony is that since OPV rather than IPV is given to ward off an impending outbreak, it actually increases the risk of more polio infections. Most cases of polio world-wide are actually vaccine-induced polio.

I'd love an explanation of the hug. Thanks!

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:44 pm
Can anyone explain why Israel is still giving the OPV (oral) version of the vaccine? Here in the U.S., only the IPV (inactivated vaccine) is given, so that it does not shed or cause disease. (The OPV used to be standard until it was shown to cause disease in a small amount of people, so they switched to the IPV years ago, which does not). I'm trying to understand why a first world country like Israel is still giving the live, oral version when the IPV is readily available.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:49 pm
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Can anyone explain why Israel is still giving the OPV (oral) version of the vaccine? Here in the U.S., only the IPV (inactivated vaccine) is given, so that it does not shed or cause disease. (The OPV used to be standard until it was shown to cause disease in a small amount of people, so they switched to the IPV years ago, which does not). I'm trying to understand why a first world country like Israel is still giving the live, oral version when the IPV is readily available.

I explained it above in my post at 5:51

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:49 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
I'd love an explanation of the hug. Thanks!
I’m pretty sure some people use it as a love button. Like I really really like your post and a like just isn’t enough.

Genius

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 10:08 pm
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
I’m pretty sure some people use it as a love button. Like I really really like your post and a like just isn’t enough.

Lol! Your positivity is inspiring.

heidi

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 1:29 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
The only explanation someone could possibly think polio is less lethal especially for children than measles, coronavirus, or many more illnesses R"L is because it has largely been eradicated in the modern world since around the 1960's relatively speaking so people may be ignorant of its history.
Polio is a horrific and terrifying disease a scourge which irrevocably and permanently crippled and killed many children. Understandably, it was greatly feared before Jonas Salk developed a phenomenal vaccine which conveyed virtually full life long immunity B"H. In the US the vaccine became widely administered to children in the 1960's. Prior to that people used to send kids out of the cities in the summer to hopefully minimize contagion.
My heart goes out to this child and family.
May we know no more magefos and milchamos.
Hashem Yishmor!

My 80 year old father recently reminisced with me about the horror of polio. He recalled his usually put together mother wailing hysterically when she thought one of her children had been exposed. Polio is a terrible disease. And people who don't vaccinate against it should be prosecuted for child endagerment.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 5:26 am
heidi wrote:
My 80 year old father recently reminisced with me about the horror of polio. He recalled his usually put together mother wailing hysterically when she thought one of her children had been exposed. Polio is a terrible disease. And people who don't vaccinate against it should be prosecuted for child endagerment.

Agree , I don't have any sympathy for the parents who don't vaccinate their kids , just I wish the parents would get their kids taken away or something so the kids can be safe. This is completely child abuse .

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 5:53 am
Polio is a terrible disease that used to kill thousands of children and leave many more paralyzed or otherwise affected. There is no cure. It's inconceivable that anyone would want.to see it return.

Because we have better sanitation than we did in the past, children are not always exposed to small doses of polio and don't develop immunity. One of the arguments for giving a vaccine that sheds is that it helps the unvaccinated develop natural immunity.

Get your shots.

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 6:55 am
Have you ever seen an iron lung? There's a medical facility in Sefat that has one as a 'museum type of display'. Scary. Scary. But it is the norm for people who were having trouble breathing.

I can't believe that some one would say 'bring on Polio."

We didn't learn from Covid so Hashem is pulling out another card ...

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 7:51 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
I explained it above in my post at 5:51

You explained why a 3rd world country would use it, where people don't have access to immunizations, which I understand. Not a first world country like Israel, where people have ready access to immunizations like IPV.

zebra111

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 8:16 am
Opv is still given here a) to protect the digestive system of the person having the drops (ipv protects against neurological damage but not digestive problems), b) so that the person will no longer be a carrier and be able to spread the disease even if they themselves are not ill from it (not just to protect anti vaxxers, to protect babies, elderly, etc), c) it was reintroduced in 2013 in order to protect against a different strain of polio.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 8:25 am
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
Polio is a terrible disease that used to kill thousands of children and leave many more paralyzed or otherwise affected. There is no cure. It's inconceivable that anyone would want.to see it return.

Because we have better sanitation than we did in the past, children are not always exposed to small doses of polio and don't develop immunity. One of the arguments for giving a vaccine that sheds is that it helps the unvaccinated develop natural immunity.

Get your shots.

Yup. Also the reason for an increase in polio cases. For the unvaccinated to develop this immunity, there will be a percentage who will suffer from the disease.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 8:29 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
You explained why a 3rd world country would use it, where people don't have access to immunizations, which I understand. Not a first world country like Israel, where people have ready access to immunizations like IPV.

I also explained that OPV is used to ward off a potential impending outbreak.

Israel reinstituted OPV after detecting polio in the sewage in order to hopefully prevent a full-blown outbreak. OPV is a live vaccine and thus more effective in creating immunity. The downside of a live vaccine is that it can be contagious. Therein lies the irony of utilizing a more dangerous vaccine, with potential to increase cases, precisely to ensure no one gets infected.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 10:03 am
So confusing.
The father went on TV to say his kid was vaccinated.
He doesn’t look like from mei shearim

(ETA: Never mind - his other kids are vaccinated. Not this one. BH it sounds like she is ok and no risk of being paralyzed)
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics