Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
When are you cooking shabbos?
Previous  1  2

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 11:23 pm
Challah maybe Thursday night potato kugel farfel and chicken Friday.

I just made the fish and a big pot of soup.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 11:27 pm
Some tomorrow some Friday some in freezer already bh.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 11:28 pm
From the freezer: potato kugel and challah
Wednesday: fish
Friday: chicken soup, ferfel, and chulent

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 1:12 am
I always cook on Friday afternoon. So this year will be no different. Except that I'll have more to nosh on when I'm cooking!

(It takes me about 3 hours to put together Shabbos. So I just do it a few hours before Shabbos.)

salt

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 3:47 am
I'm in Jerusalem.
Purim is on Friday.

DH cooked and froze some food last week.
But the rest of the food for Purim and Shabbat I'll be cooking on Thursday after work.

4g01o

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 3:48 am
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
I always cook on Friday afternoon. So this year will be no different. Except that I'll have more to nosh on when I'm cooking!

(It takes me about 3 hours to put together Shabbos. So I just do it a few hours before Shabbos.)

Wow it's amazing how you do the whole shabbos in 3 hours.
What do you make? Does it include cleanup too? Bought or homemade challa?
I'd love to do it like this. Thanks

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 3:59 am
Fab4 wrote:
Wow it's amazing how you do the whole shabbos in 3 hours.
What do you make? Does it include cleanup too? Bought or homemade challa?
I'd love to do it like this. Thanks

Includes basic cleanup of the kitchen. I have a dishwasher though so no dishes!

Usually homemade challah, gefilte fish, pasta for salad, open and drain cans for salads, soup, matzah balls, chicken, green beans, kugel, quinoa, roasted vegetables, brownies. Nothing fancy. My challah dough takes me about 5 minutes to put together and I don't knead it much. I also don't braid challos (sorry!) I just make rolls. I also don't usually cut vegetables for salads until shortly before the meal.

This is more or less my system: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....13778

Success10

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 4:37 am
I live in Jerusalem.... Purim is on FRIDAY!!! I am making a very light Friday night dinner, just challah, dips and salmon. I think I'll cook the salmon during the Purim seuda so it will taste fresh on Shabbos, a bit undercooked so it doesnt' dry out on the plata.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 4:43 am
Most things I'll make double for Purim & Shabbos. The rest on Friday.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 5:53 am
What? People expect to also eat on shabbos?

I guess challah in my freezer and hopefully someone sends some real food in MM.

Wink jk Well, yes, challah in my freezer, and probably salmon, a selection of baked squash/root vegetables I want to use up, and some DH brownies that I also want to get out of my pantry. By day, replace hot veggies with a salad.

But we're going out for the seuda to a community party---my kids like that better, and it's less work for me!

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 8:52 am
I grilled some dark chicken for the seuda and am saving a few pieces for an appetizer salad for Shabbos day.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 9:07 am
I have some stuff in the freezer, going to put up the soup, chicken and fish on purim day while my toddler naps.

miracle

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 9:13 am
Some today, some on Friday, some is in the freezer
Punch all under control BH

Another mom

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 3:37 pm
All under control because I'm tired of being stressed over this! Not because I'm ready... did some shopping today and BH my makolet is open after Purim till about 9 Smile
If I don't have leftovers or get things from MM I'll have a long night and day.....מה לעשות.... In a way Shushan P is easier cuz you just cook more. But I don't want to cook Wednesday for Shabbat (day). Good luck to everyone!

Aurora

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 3:47 pm
As usual, Friday.

heidi

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 4:48 pm
Success10 wrote:
I live in Jerusalem.... Purim is on FRIDAY!!! I am making a very light Friday night dinner, just challah, dips and salmon. I think I'll cook the salmon during the Purim seuda so it will taste fresh on Shabbos, a bit undercooked so it doesnt' dry out on the plata.

Last year Purim fell on Friday for the rest of the world.
We had an early seuda.
My son's family started seuda before shabbat, took a break for קבלת שבת/מעריב and then continued the seuda. He said it's actually the preferred method halachically. Worth looking into. Saves a lot of patchke.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 4:21 am
Thankfully we made way too much for our seuda. We have barbequed chicken and burgers left and its enough for a full meal. And thankfully last friday when I cooked, I made double of everything so its in the freezer waiting to come out a bit later in the day. So no cooking needed here. Just a chilled out day. So grateful.

twizzlers1

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 4:28 am
Oh goodness I'm sitting here enjoying my coffee and now I really realize I have to cook! My house is pretty messed up from yesterday and I haven't thought about it. But going to make as simple as I can! I have chicken soup already ready so at least we'll have that and I have challah. I just realized I don't have any meats was thinking about putting rice and chicken in a crock pot has anyone done that? For the day meal

acemom

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 10:28 am
Fab4 wrote:
I have some of it in the freezer, the rest I'll make or buy on Friday Smile

Same.
My in-laws actually offered me to take home some leftovers that I can use on Shabbos so I barely have to make anything!
I planned in advance to have most food in the freezer from previous weeks' double batch cooking.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics