Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby toys with ladies voices singing
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 3:08 am
A little random, but is anyone super makpid and doesn't have baby toys with songs with women's voices? Like the learning toys by fisher Price that sing the AbCs etc.
I want to buy a gift for a very frum relative and want to know if it's possible they will have an issue with that.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 3:20 am
We're so makpid we don't have any non-Jewish music, including ABCs. Would also have a problem with the Kol Isha.

But we're super extreme, so don't mind us!

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 3:31 am
What age baby? Get something non plastic and non battery and then it won't be muktza either Smile

singleagain

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 3:42 am
It's probably a computer and not a real person

I dunno .I just made that up because it sounds good to me and I woke up on the middle of the night

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 4:08 am
I would get something that doesn’t have music or singing.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 4:39 am
We only turn them on to sing if my husband isn't around, but definitely prefer non electric toys

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 6:24 am
ה' ירחם

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:31 am
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
ה' ירחם

What part of this do you find so painful? If you don't care, good for you. OP asked if anyone cares, and we gave our experiences.

Most studies show that non electric toys are better for kids anyway and it's one less thing to deal with erev shabbos

4g01o

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:36 am
I really don't think it should be an issue, even with extremely makpid people.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:38 am
Never crossed our very frum minds. But I agree. Non musical toys are always a much nicer option.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:49 am
All the lights and sounds aren't great for a baby to be exposed to. It's better in general to buy toys that help develop the baby's mind and body.

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:51 am
Many parents find singing toys annoying, so pehaps
a better reason to choose a different toy.

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:29 am
I once asked a shaila about playing kids music in the car for carpool during times we don't usually listen to music (sefira, 3 weeks), and our Rav told me it was totally fine because it's not enjoyable for adults. I thought that was funny, but he's definitely right. I don't mind it even on repeat because I can tune it out, but DH has threatened to get out and walk during road trips if we play such music.

That was a long way to say that musical toys often drive parents crazy and can be problematic on Shabbos and Yom Tov and are best avoided as gifts unless they have specifically been requested.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:33 am
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
I once asked a shaila about playing kids music in the car for carpool during times we don't usually listen to music (sefira, 3 weeks), and our Rav told me it was totally fine because it's not enjoyable for adults. I thought that was funny, but he's definitely right. I don't mind it even on repeat because I can tune it out, but DH has threatened to get out and walk during road trips if we play such music.

That was a long way to say that musical toys often drive parents crazy and can be problematic on Shabbos and Yom Tov and are best avoided as gifts unless they have specifically been requested.

My husband was given the same psak when he was in aveilut last year

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:40 am
Wow, this is the first time I'm hearing that people have issue with singing toys! I don't know anyone IRL that has issue with singing baby toys.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:53 am
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:

I asked dh and he's like "I have no idea what voices those toys are from. They're all equally annoying!"

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:58 am
Many of them sound like kids singing but we have one that really sounds like a woman- the Fisher Price Laugh and Learning Camera - and DH doesn't like when we play it around him.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:01 am
I think the main issur is with live music and seeing the woman (and associating the voice with her). Recordings, especially if you'll never see the woman are already a less severe issue. Add to that the fact that these are typically unclear and annoying for adults and are also quite tinny and mechanical, and I doubt there's a halachik issue.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:32 am
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
I think the main issur is with live music and seeing the woman (and associating the voice with her). Recordings, especially if you'll never see the woman are already a less severe issue. Add to that the fact that these are typically unclear and annoying for adults and are also quite tinny and mechanical, and I doubt there's a halachik issue.

And they're for children too, I think many accept kol isha when it's singing a lullaby or something to children. My kid's teacher sends vids where sometimes you hear her singing to the toddlers, and men get those vids too.

lovecouches

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:54 am
Like other people said I would hate to get a toy that sings unless I specifically wanted it because I find them so annoying. Most of the mothers I know are the same way. So maybe buy one that doesn't sing so there will definitely not be any issue.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics