Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you kasher the kitchen by yourself?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:11 pm
I’m going to have to do everything by myself. Usually dh does it. If I hire a rabbi it will be costly but maybe worth it. I mean stove counters and sinks. Wwyd.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:14 pm
Sometimes, bochrim offer the service. Is there anyone you can find out from?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m going to have to do everything by myself. Usually dh does it. If I hire a rabbi it will be costly but maybe worth it. I mean stove counters and sinks. Wwyd.

I've kashered counters myself. I bought a kashering kit which makes it way easier. We have a blowtorch for the sink, but I don't usually do it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:18 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
I've kashered counters myself. I bought a kashering kit which makes it way easier. We have a blowtorch for the sink, but I don't usually do it.

What do you do for the sink.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:18 pm
I kasher the oven (self clean then 40 minutes on broil). The burners kasher themselves. I switch out the grates on the stovetop to the pesach ones.

Dh kashers the sinks with boiling water and a stone for good measure.

We don't kasher the counters. We cover them. We don't like hot water dripping down the wood cabinets.

Zehu

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:19 pm
imasinger wrote:
Sometimes, bochrim offer the service. Is there anyone you can find out from?

I live OOT there is a rabbi that does it for money

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:21 pm
I kasher and cover by myself.
I have 2 sinks and 2 ovens. It’s not a fun job.

hodeez

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:26 pm
Of course I didn't know there was an alternative

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:26 pm
Never occurred to me not to do it myself. About 10 years ago I finally bought myself a self-cleaning oven. Sink is stainless, kashered by pouring boiling water over it. It's a messy job but not difficult. Stove grates and burners are a pain but I scrub as best I can and the rest goes in the oven on self-clean. That burns off anything I couldn't scrub off. The stove top gets covered in heavy-duty foil and the grates and burners put in place over that. Shelves get covered with paper; fridge just has to be washed, not kashered; table gets covered with tablecloths that stay in place all Pesach; wash machine serves as a counter and the top gets covered in heavy-duty foil. The counter is part of the cabinets, not the sink, so it doesn't get wet and can be covered with paper. Microwave gets put away in a closet. Bechers and washing cups get kashered in a big pot of boiling water. All of this is tedious drudgery but none of it is rocket science. I certainly don't need to hire a rabbi to do it. But you do you. If you can readily afford to hire someone, why not? Cleaning services need to make a living, too.

It's not the kashering that's the bear; it's the cleaning before you can kasher. If I were to hire someone, it would be to do the heavy cleaning, not the kashering.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you do for the sink.

DH usually does it, but it's a matter of cleaning and drying the sink, lighting the blowtorch (harder than it sounds) and running it carefully over every part of the sink. I kasher the faucet by pouring boiling water over it and running the water at its hottest at the same time.

mfb

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:32 pm
We pour boiling water over sink and then put in an insert

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:33 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
DH usually does it, but it's a matter of cleaning and drying the sink, lighting the blowtorch (harder than it sounds) and running it carefully over every part of the sink. I kasher the faucet by pouring boiling water over it and running the water at its hottest at the same time.

I do not use a blow torch for kashering the sink. After pouring boiling water into the sinks and on the faucets, I cover the sinks with a sink insert and cover the faucets.

mama123

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 10:43 pm
I always do the kashering myself. Most years, my husband is not available to help, as he is busy working hard so we can afford to make Pesach! But of course, you do what works for you and your family, OP.
I scrub and self clean the oven. The stovetop gets scrubbed and then covered by heavy duty foil. Counters get covered, as mine are porcelain and non-kasherable. Sink gets scrubbed and kashered by boiling water. I hate kashering the sink. It is so nerve wracking making sure I get every single inch. I usually end up doing it many times to make sure I get it right, but it is so time consuming and exhausting.
For those who have tried blowtorch and also boiling water for the sink- which is easier? I’m wondering if blowtorch would be a better option for me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 11:04 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Never occurred to me not to do it myself. About 10 years ago I finally bought myself a self-cleaning oven. Sink is stainless, kashered by pouring boiling water over it. It's a messy job but not difficult. Stove grates and burners are a pain but I scrub as best I can and the rest goes in the oven on self-clean. That burns off anything I couldn't scrub off. The stove top gets covered in heavy-duty foil and the grates and burners put in place over that. Shelves get covered with paper; fridge just has to be washed, not kashered; table gets covered with tablecloths that stay in place all Pesach; wash machine serves as a counter and the top gets covered in heavy-duty foil. The counter is part of the cabinets, not the sink, so it doesn't get wet and can be covered with paper. Microwave gets put away in a closet. Bechers and washing cups get kashered in a big pot of boiling water. All of this is tedious drudgery but none of it is rocket science. I certainly don't need to hire a rabbi to do it. But you do you. If you can readily afford to hire someone, why not? Cleaning services need to make a living, too.

It's not the kashering that's the bear; it's the cleaning before you can kasher. If I were to hire someone, it would be to do the heavy cleaning, not the kashering.

Do the grates and burners survive the self cleaning oven?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 11:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The finish comes off/becomes pasty. Don't do it.
Follow the OU and StarK instructions for sticking the clean grates into the clean oven (that was already self cleaned) and doing libun kal on the ovens highest setting for the amount of time it takes to properly kasher the grates. Or by turning on the fire under them to the highest setting for 1 hour until they glow.
Follow their lead on burners. They say that halachicly the burners kasher themselves each time you turn them on due to the fires high temp.

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 11:10 pm
Thank Gd I live in Baltimore and the Star K does it for me. Pretty costly but worth it

mama123

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 11:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It depends what you consider surviving. The shiny finish no longer looks very nice, but there is no structural damage to my grates. Just check first to see if your grates have rubber feet on the bottom and if so, remove them. I made that mistake my first year with this oven Confused

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 11:35 pm
Kashering Oven:

Self clean oven (don't stick the racks in or finish will be pasty and racks won't slide in and out easily anymore).

Clean racks very well. If a caustic cleaner like Easy Off or St Moritz is used (be careful with long thick gloves and a mask), and some stubborn spots remained after a second application, the remaining spots may be disregarded. (Use these instructions for cleaning a non self clean oven before kashering as well.)

Now that the oven and racks are clean, proceed with kashering the clean oven and racks by turning on the oven to the highest setting - broil or 550, for 40 minutes (libbun kal).

Stovetop Grates:

Kasher the grates by putting them into the oven with libbun kal (550°F for 40 minutes).

If the grates have rubber feet and you don't want them to get ruined in the oven, you can cover the stovetop with a blech or use aluminum foil to create a blech and turn on the burners to “high” for 15 minutes; this will create enough heat for kashering.

Burners:

The burners kasher themselves each time you use them, so nothing more necessary.

Stovetop:

Clean stovetop well. Cover the enamel surface of the stovetop with foil. Be careful to cut out all areas that are meant to have ventilation. Do not forget the back of the stovetop that has an almost invisible opening across the back of the stovetop, from the oven, which allows the heat to escape up into the air. This cannot be covered of blocked. Very dangerous to close that up.

Place the kashered grates back in place.

*Before pesach it's ok to cook without covering the stovetop with foil. To be careful, some people just use the disposable burner liners when using the stovetop on YT itself, so that no openings are C"V covered by mistake, and then just don't eat anything that falls down.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 11:45 pm
It's easier to clean the grates if you leave them overnight in a ziploc bag with a little bit of ammonia.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 12:14 am
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Thank Gd I live in Baltimore and the Star K does it for me. Pretty costly but worth it

How much is it?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics