Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Florida new development
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 2:08 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
So where is it?

Glades county boarders lake okeechobee on the west side of the lake, and is slightly north of but between fort Meyers on the west coast and west palm beach on the east coast.
You can open google maps and put glades county in the search box, and you can see exactly where it is.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 2:19 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
So where is it?

Extremely isolated from the frum south Florida communities, nowhere near them.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 2:23 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Extremely isolated from the frum south Florida communities, nowhere near them.

Definitely. It’s about 2 hours from Boca. It’s in central Florida.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 2:36 pm
I would absolutely love for this community to take off, it has so much potential. But those interested should go in with a pioneering spirit. Like, imagine moving to Maine or South Dakota with a whole bunch of other people. Or like a small Chabad community in the middle of nowhere (granted-with good weather)- you have to be up for that! And I'm sure some people are up for that and interested in being pioneers, but you should know that this one development will be everything- shul, school, kosher food, you'll have to build it all up from nothing, and no leaning on a sister community nearby for help. For example- Miami beach, surfside, NMB, Hollywood, Boca, they all borrow from each other, schools, kosher markets, frum shopping. This is TOTALLY isolated. Even if you make the trip to Boca twice a month, you have to be ready to live on your little island.
Thats how new communities start though, like I said, I think this has a lot of potential.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 2:42 pm
From what I know they are not opening up until they have a Cheder/ School fully established.
The Rabbanim involved are Chassidish but I'm assuming it'll be open to Yeshivish/Litvish people as well, knowing one of the Rabbanim personally. He's very Chassidish and very open minded at the same time.
I really hope this works out. I know a few people considering to move there.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 2:47 pm
Who are the Rabbanim?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 3:35 pm
I wouldn’t say it’s TOTALLY isolated. That’s a bit of a stretch when there is a huge community an hour and a half away. True, not practical for day to day but not inaccessible.
People are priced out of boca, Hollywood, Miami, Nmb…where will the next group go?

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 3:40 pm
Can someone explain what happened in Tampa?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 3:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wouldn’t say it’s COMPLETELY isolated. That’s a bit of a stretch when there is a huge community an hour and a half away. True, not practical for day to day but not inaccessible.
People are priced out of boca, Hollywood, Miami, Nmb…where will the next group go?

Sorry but it's completely isolated for day to day living. If you don't want to cook- no restaurant option, no take out, no pizza shop. If you don't like the school option- no switching to one just a bit further away (the way you can do in south florida). Even clothing, if you're into the frum stores so thats a 2 hour drive or a flight into NY.
I grew up in South FL is the 90's- and we felt isolated lol. We bought our clothing at Aventura Mall or Marshalls or Fox's (this is pre Clothes and Bows). There was no such thing as frum clothing stores etc, Florida is FAR. It's not Baltimore far, it's far far. You just have to be up for that.
Generally new communities pop up in the general vicinity of an existing frum community, so maybe there's a 20 min drive but at least doable. That is totally not the case here. They can't build up north of Boca because development there is pricey. The area they are building in is currently not super sought after therefore they can keep prices extremely attractive for what looks to be a really nice plot of land.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 4:08 pm
That’s exactly my point, there is no where to go south, East, west of boca. North is not a good long term plan. So for example, if married children want to stay in Florida but can’t afford the current south Florida pricing where will they go?
The more I hear about this (my friend is getting the information from her chassidish friend) the more I believe there will be all conveniences of in town living

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 4:12 pm
Sorry but it's completely isolated for day to day living. If you don't want to cook- no restaurant option, no take out, no pizza shop. If you don't like the school option- no switching to one just a bit further away (the way you can do in south florida). Even clothing, if you're into the frum stores so thats a 2 hour drive or a flight into NY.
I grew up in South FL is the 90's- and we felt isolated lol. We bought our clothing at Aventura Mall or Marshalls or Fox's (this is pre Clothes and Bows). There was no such thing as frum clothing stores etc, Florida is FAR. It's not Baltimore far, it's far far. You just have to be up for that.
Generally new communities pop up in the general vicinity of an existing frum community, so maybe there's a 20 min drive but at least doable. That is totally not the case here. They can't build up north of Boca because development there is pricey. The area they are building in is currently not super sought after therefore they can keep prices extremely attractive for what looks to be a really nice plot of land.

I agree with your first paragraph, but it your second. I grew up in Miami and didn’t feel isolated at all. Possibly isolated from family, but that’s cuz everyone lived up north except us. Shopping at the mall was fun, not isolating. We had kids from all areas from Coral Springs to Miami Beach in our school and we all got together all the time.
This is very different than how I grew up. That was an established area, with multiple schools, shuls, stores, restaurants, etc. This new community is just itself. That’s something you have to be up for. There was nothing to be up for, growing up in NMB.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 4:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s exactly my point, there is no where to go south, East, west of boca. North is not a good long term plan. So for example, if married children want to stay in Florida but can’t afford the current south Florida pricing where will they go?
The more I hear about this (my friend is getting the information from her chassidish friend) the more I believe there will be all conveniences of in town living

.....Eventually. It'll take a lot of time to get there though. Think 15 years.
South Florida doesn't have a massive chassidish community full of kids dreaming of living in driving distance to their parents btw, So if this is going to be a chassidish kehilla it's not a solution for many native south Floridians. The ones who want to settle in south florida live in NMB where prices are still somewhat affordable, or are professionals doing quite well and can afford boca or hollywood.
I see this as a project for chassidish families with a pioneering spirit who want a nice big house, don't need to live near the tri state area, won't be sad missing tons of minor simchas etc, and love warm weather.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 4:20 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I agree with your first paragraph, but it your second. I grew up in Miami and didn’t feel isolated at all. Possibly isolated from family, [b][b]but that’s cuz everyone lived up north except us.[/b] [/b]Shopping at the mall was fun, not isolating. We had kids from all areas from Coral Springs to Miami Beach in our school and we all got together all the time.
This is very different than how I grew up. That was an established area, with multiple schools, shuls, stores, restaurants, etc. This new community is just itself. That’s something you have to be up for. There was nothing to be up for, growing up in NMB.

Well I grew up in Hollywood, and it was far from everything. Except for Hollywood lol. Look- it's just not boro park or anywhere in the big tri state communities, like you, all my cousins lived up north, everything was a plane ride.
SO moving to literally the middle of nowhere will be all that, missing simchas etc, PLUS not having the greater south florida communities to take advantage of on a reg basis.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:01 pm
If they are open to non chassidish, why wouldn’t people who can’t afford to go to the other areas go there? Seems more bang for your buck, big houses in a frum neighborhood two hours away from other areas.
I heard in Nmb people are buying tiny shacks for a fortune

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:05 pm
Not that flatbush is more for your buck Crying
Housing is just through the roof

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If they are open to non chassidish, why wouldn’t people who can’t afford to go to the other areas go there? Seems more bang for your buck, big houses in a frum neighborhood two hours away from other areas.
'

I'm sure they will want to go there, when there's a normal functioning community there, with food options, school options, shul options (not just one). A huge thing is job opportunities as well, the Miami area is a huge area with law firms, medical practices etc etc. All I'm saying is that someone has to start building it up, and hopefully within 10-15 years it will flourish.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Because the school is going to be chassidish?
NMB, Hollywood, and Boca are all rapidly becoming almost impossible to touch….

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:10 pm
Well I grew up in Hollywood, and it was far from everything. Except for Hollywood lol. Look- it's just not boro park or anywhere in the big tri state communities, like you, all my cousins lived up north, everything was a plane ride.
SO moving to literally the middle of nowhere will be all that, missing simchas etc, PLUS not having the greater south florida communities to take advantage of on a reg basis.

Of course it’s not like BP, it’s a completely different kind of area. If comparing to a place like BP (although I don’t know why one would) then I guess you could consider it isolated, but I think it’s actually far from it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:14 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Of course it’s not like BP, it’s a completely different kind of area. If comparing to a place like BP (although I don’t know why one would) then I guess you could consider it isolated, but I think it’s actually far from it.

I'm comparing it to BP because the people looking to move to this place are chassidish. Obviously I grew up modern (Hollywood) and have never been to BP in my life lol. I guess I'm trying to explain this isn't a "hey there's no more space in Lakewood, lets move to Tom's River and be pioneers" sort of thing. It's completely different. We're talking a totally different area of the country that is very far from the home base of most chassidish networks.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:17 pm
It looks nice in theory. But that's a small area to sustain a school of all ages for boys and girls. How do they plan on filling it with just that development alone?
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating