Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Thoughts about Pesach magazines
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 7:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What about the father's right to give his kids what many friends have?
What about the children not being jealous of their father's kids experiences.
These kids don't only belong to the mother. No?

Having grown up as part of a blended family, nothing made me angrier than double standards. I was one of the mother’s kids. When my stepfather’s kids came, we weren’t allowed to look at or talk to him AND he bought them anything their little hearts desired. And then they had the gall to tell us we didn’t deserve to live with their father.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 9:10 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Another shout out for the story by Rachel Newton in Family First about the car service driver "Masha." It was so sensitive and beautifully written- I read it three times just to savor it.
this was the best story I read this Yom tov (didn’t get around to reading all the story supplements yet)
Overall I think this Yom tov the family first had the most toichen out of the magazines I read...

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 9:17 am
For those of you who have issues with parents (abusive or not) you may want to read the story in Binah (if you do not generally get Binah, you may want to try to find a copy, it's worth it). Very validating to those of us going through it, though the ending ruined it somewhat. (And I wonder if the author got her material from imamother, it was so familiar).

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 9:17 am
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
Having grown up as part of a blended family, nothing made me angrier than double standards. I was one of the mother’s kids. When my stepfather’s kids came, we weren’t allowed to look at or talk to him AND he bought them anything their little hearts desired. And then they had the gall to tell us we didn’t deserve to live with their father.

I'm so sorry, that sounds so painful! Sad

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 9:20 am
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
For those of you who have issues with parents (abusive or not) you may want to read the story in Binah (if you do not generally get Binah, you may want to try to find a copy, it's worth it). Very validating to those of us going through it, though the ending ruined it somewhat. (And I wonder if the author got her material from imamother, it was so familiar).

Which story?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:13 am
I didn't get the ending on the one with the two alcoholics in rehab. Was it something about how the chassidishe guy's son also became an alcoholic? If so, how sad and what's the point?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:31 am
I thought it was just that their project did happen in the end and was used to help teens...

4g01o

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:48 am
I can cry for that poor woman who's ex took her younger sons away from her. I still don't understand how children can be taken from a parent like that!! How is that fair??

Eta: I remember the original story. Its heartbreaking. Why should someone with money be able to kidnap?! I just don't get it. Why couldn't the police sort it out and get them back to their mother straight after it happened?! I'm confused by it. Truly

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:52 pm
Fab4 wrote:
I can cry for that poor woman who's ex took her younger sons away from her. I still don't understand how children can be taken from a parent like that!! How is that fair??

Eta: I remember the original story. Its heartbreaking. Why should someone with money be able to kidnap?! I just don't get it. Why couldn't the police sort it out and get them back to their mother straight after it happened?! I'm confused by it. Truly

What magazine is this in?

4g01o

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:55 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
What magazine is this in?

Ami living I think

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:18 pm
Was thrilled to see Sara Wiederblank in the Vistas again! Hope she serializes a story again.

losingweight

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 9:01 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I didn't get the ending on the one with the two alcoholics in rehab. Was it something about how the chassidishe guy's son also became an alcoholic? If so, how sad and what's the point?

I reread it a few times. I think it meant to show that the kids came around to the father. In the beginning, they didn't want to talk to him and now when they're showing their program to youths, he came to see it with his father. And by now they both agree they're addicts. I don't think the son is also an addict.

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 10:22 pm
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
I know it's a hot topic here, so what are people's thoughts on the Binah story about the girl who had to give up driving in order for a shidduch to go through?

Sorry but that story pissed me off. We are that style where we are Chassidish but consider Shidduchim with Heimish or more Litvish. We Also live among other such people.
The story made absolutely zero sense.
So many Chassidish women drive, especially those that would consider being meshadech with Heimish families. We've never heard of such a request, not amongst our own family, extended family or anyone in the community. I discussed it with a few such people and they were all pissed as well.
I don't know anyone who is that style Chassidish and would demand something like that. If you consider a girl for your son from a home where women drive, you don't ask her not to. It just doesn't happen. And if someone would actually put out this request it would be looked at as extremely inappropriate and mean.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 10:28 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
Sorry but that story pissed me off. We are that style where we are Chassidish but consider Shidduchim with Heimish or more Litvish. We Also live among other such people.
So many Chassidish women drive, especially those that would consider being meshadech with Heimish families. We've never heard of such a request, not amongst our own family, extended family or anyone in the community. I discussed it with a few such people and they were all pissed as well.
I don't know anyone who is that style Chassidish and would demand something like that. If you consider a girl for your son from a home where women drive, you don't ask her not to. It just doesn't happen. And if someone would actually put out this request it would be looked at as extremely inappropriate and mean.

The entire concept of negotiating like that for a shidduch is stupid.
Do you want your wife not to drive, or do you want a wife who isn't the type to drive?
These negotiations don't change who the person is.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:07 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:

No judgement, I realize the chasidish English has its own standards, but know that "pissed" is considered a crass way to speak. Piss is a not-nice way to say urinate.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:20 am
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
For those of you who have issues with parents (abusive or not) you may want to read the story in Binah

Binah also had an abusive parent story? (besides the one in Calligraphy)

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:22 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
No judgement, I realize the chasidish English has its own standards, but know that "pissed" is considered a crass way to speak. Piss is a not-nice way to say urinate.

It's weird but I heard another chassidish lady say that she's pissed off and I was really surprised. I don't think they realise what they're saying. It's very low to say pissed off.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:29 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Which story?

"Don't be a Stranger" by B. Myndi

ETA: this is the abuse story from Binah.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:42 am
I think one of the downfalls with all of us being online all the time is we accidentally use words we don’t realize are crass.
One of my hasidish friends who is quite right wing herself but out there in the world has a small social media presence and twice posted the phrase “SNAFU” . The f in that stands for a curse word. I had to reach out to her to tell her what it means.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:58 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I think one of the downfalls with all of us being online all the time is we accidentally use words we don’t realize are crass.
One of my hasidish friends who is quite right wing herself but out there in the world has a small social media presence and twice posted the phrase “SNAFU” . The f in that stands for a curse word. I had to reach out to her to tell her what it means.

Honestly, today snafu is considered a regular word and imho is not vulgar at all.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room