Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Daycare fed baby chametz

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 2:29 pm
We send my baby to reform daycare because of the lack of childcare options for young infants in our area. They said that no non-kosher-for-passover food was allowed at the daycare, but one of the daycare providers fed him some of his baby food which was chametz gamur that we gave them a few weeks ago. If this happened to you would you pull your child out of daycare? What should we do?

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 2:48 pm
I'm sorry that's so upsetting. Do you have any other options?

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 2:49 pm
It means you likely can't rely on them for any religious issues including hechsherim. I would ask a Rabbi what to do about sending back.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 2:54 pm
They probably figured that feeding the baby the food you'd provided (even if it was chametz and before) was ok. Having had experience with daycares that are not frum, I would in the future take back all food you've brought there for your child for "year round" and give them foods only for pesach during pesach. (also this will resolve any potential issues with having unsold chametz that may be yours) This will make it easier for everyone to be more successful.

ETA: To each her own, but I personally don't see this as a rav question...with the exception of if OP would need to do anything about the chametz baby foods they still have from her at daycare to not be violating owning chametz on pesach.

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Wed, Apr 20 2022, 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

scintilla

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 2:55 pm
Oy, that's awful. Can you talk to them and see what happened? I think it would help to see their attitude and if it was more of an innocent mistake vs carelessness. And I agree that you need to ask a rav what to do but it will depend on how willing they are to work with you and be really careful. I have relatives who for various reasons had to send to non Jewish daycares and the staff were always super respectful and knew never to give food that wasn't sent by the parents.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 3:27 pm
I’d speak to administration

( I send my kids to secular daycare)

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 3:39 pm
Did they know that the food you sent is chometz? They might have assumed that your food is ok.

Aurora

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 3:53 pm
I feel like they might not have understood. I would talk with the administration. We have used a local secular daycare for years, along with a number of other Jewish families (the running joke is that half the children are Jewish).

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 4:31 pm
How were they supposed to know?
It’s ridiculous to not send your baby back to that daycare If you honestly love it.

devorah1231

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 5:44 pm
Hope you remembered to sell it with the chometz, side note.

BrachaBatya

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 5:46 pm
I would just move on. You can't un-do it. The world isn't going to end over it. Send your child with his/her own foods and move past it. If it's a safe, loving environment for your child, that's the important thing to remember. JMHO.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 6:16 pm
If they gave the baby some other food that was chametz I’d be upset, but it was your food. Honest mistake. I’d just move on.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 6:22 pm
You should have taken the food back b4 pesach

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 6:49 pm
They messed up. I would take it up with the administration and be proactive in the future about making sure they don’t have chametz food left over Pesach.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:01 pm
My daycare made sure to send all chometz gamur food home with my baby on the last day of school b4 pesach. I asked my rav and he said that according to halacha the daycare can't sell your chometz that is in the building and you have to take it all home. So you where also in the wrong for not bringing it home to sell...

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:10 pm
I think it's worth talking to:

1. A rav, who can guide you through both ways to try to prevent this from happening ever again, and what to do now; and

2. The director, so they realize what a big deal this is for you, and that they need to do a better job with staff knowing when to ask questions.

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:21 pm
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
My daycare made sure to send all chometz gamur food home with my baby on the last day of school b4 pesach. I asked my rav and he said that according to halacha the daycare can't sell your chometz that is in the building and you have to take it all home. So you where also in the wrong for not bringing it home to sell...

When I sold my chametz, I just had to list the address where the chametz was so I sold stuff at my work and my best friend house. Don't assume everyone sells it the same way

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 8:04 pm
My husband is a rabbit and he said that while its definitely stressful and of course shouldn't be repeated, there is no actual aveirah as far as he knows.
The baby isn't at the age of chinch, you didn't own any chametz (assuming you said kol chamira) and chametz doesn't have any timtum halev. The only potential question might be hannah of chametz on pesach.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:04 am
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
My husband is a rabbit and he said....

Can't help laughing are you a rabbit also? A mouse? Please share

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 9:59 am
OP do you even sell chametz gamor?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics