Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What area in Florida Hollywood/Boca etc.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 10:32 am
Hi wondering what area would be a good fit for my family if we were to move to Florida? Hollywood, Boca, Miami, North Miami, etc.? Younger family, oldest is 6 all boys, not yeshivish not modern orthodox jpf. Something easy going and chilled.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 10:38 am
Both are good
Hollywood is a nicer area

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 10:47 am
Hollywood homes in the frum area are going for 800 k or more (not huge homes, and nothing really available on the market). But its nice and pretty there, majority modern orthodox and some jpf but more to the right moving in. Unless you'd send to a super modern school you'd probably have to bus into NMB.

NMB has more mix- yeshivish families and modern orthodox and jpf. If being close to school is important than nmb is for you. It's not a very nice neighborhood though. More crime than hollywood and boca, shabbier housing.

Don't know enough about boca, sorry.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 10:56 am
Thank you very helpful

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:11 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
Hollywood homes in the frum area are going for 800 k or more (not huge homes, and nothing really available on the market). But its nice and pretty there, majority modern orthodox and some jpf but more to the right moving in. Unless you'd send to a super modern school you'd probably have to bus into NMB.

NMB has more mix- yeshivish families and modern orthodox and jpf. If being close to school is important than nmb is for you. It's not a very nice neighborhood though. More crime than hollywood and boca, shabbier housing.

Don't know enough about boca, sorry.

How many options are there for boys schools?

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How many options are there for boys schools?

What ages

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:21 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
What ages

Oldest 6

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:22 am
I think you should choose schools first before choosing a neighborhood.
I know a family who chose a neighborhood but they weren’t happy with the school. They ended up bussing their kids to a school they liked better but the bus ride is an hour each way. You wouldn’t want that to happen to you. I strongly suggest looking into schools first. There are some new schools recently to handle the crowd moving to Florida so you will have a few choices.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:30 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I think you should choose schools first before choosing a neighborhood.
I know a family who chose a neighborhood but they weren’t happy with the school. They ended up bussing their kids to a school they liked better but the bus ride is an hour each way. You wouldn’t want that to happen to you. I strongly suggest looking into schools first. There are some new schools recently to handle the crowd moving to Florida so you will have a few choices.

Thank you. Really appreciate the advice. Any recommendations of schools to look into that might be a good fit?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. Really appreciate the advice. Any recommendations of schools to look into that might be a good fit?

Toras Emes. nmb

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 12:35 pm
Also make sure school will accept you.
I know if ppl that moved and school wouldn’t accept.
Boca doesn’t accept everyone.
Some areas is Hollywood are very young and looking to start new school. But only accepting who they want

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 12:55 pm
I know ppl that are happy here
https://sites.google.com/a/jew.....home/
You should check into this

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 3:52 pm
Yeshiva Elementary School

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 4:15 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Also make sure school will accept you.
I know if ppl that moved and school wouldn’t accept.
Boca doesn’t accept everyone.
Some areas is Hollywood are very young and looking to start new school. But only accepting who they want

What type of families are they looking for?

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 6:22 pm
Does Torah Academy in Boca accept new families?

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 5:18 am
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
Yeshiva Elementary School

I second that!

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:50 am
Toras Emes - YTCTE.org. That's the main elementary school in NMB and attracts families from NMB, Miami Beach and all the surrounding areas - Hollywood, Surfside, Adventura etc. It has a large range, attracts a lot of Yehsivish and a lot of JPF.

Yeshiva Elementary School - based really in Miami Beach but does get a bunch of NMB families and some Hollywood. It's officially a bit more Yeshivish than Toras Emes (but not necessarily true in actuality). There is a large overlap of the same types of families in both schools.

Those are the two main schools in the area.

There is supposedly a boys cheder opening next year in NMB by a Chassidish Rav, Rabbi Feldbrand.

There is Mizrachi Torah Academy which is located in Plantain. They are smaller and more "homeschool/crunchy" style.

Boca has Torah Academy - TABR, a classic OOT elementary school that is growing very quickly, has great staff.

Look into all the schools, see what sounds most your speed, and then location hunt.

But be aware the homes in all the above mentioned areas are very pricey. Don't expect to pay less than 800k, and that amount is typically for a small home that needs work. If you can find what to buy at all....

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 11:12 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
Toras Emes - YTCTE.org. That's the main elementary school in NMB and attracts families from NMB, Miami Beach and all the surrounding areas - Hollywood, Surfside, Adventura etc. It has a large range, attracts a lot of Yehsivish and a lot of JPF.

Yeshiva Elementary School - based really in Miami Beach but does get a bunch of NMB families and some Hollywood. It's officially a bit more Yeshivish than Toras Emes (but not necessarily true in actuality). There is a large overlap of the same types of families in both schools.

Those are the two main schools in the area.

There is supposedly a boys cheder opening next year in NMB by a Chassidish Rav, Rabbi Feldbrand.

There is Mizrachi Torah Academy which is located in Plantain. They are smaller and more "homeschool/crunchy" style.

Boca has Torah Academy - TABR, a classic OOT elementary school that is growing very quickly, has great staff.

Look into all the schools, see what sounds most your speed, and then location hunt.

But be aware the homes in all the above mentioned areas are very pricey. Don't expect to pay less than 800k, and that amount is typically for a small home that needs work. If you can find what to buy at all....

Just commenting that with the large influx of families in recent years, team and yes have been drifting apart in terms of student body. There is less overlap than there used to be. Obviously still a chunk that does overlap but you will also find that x families overwhelmingly go to one vs. the other. Also, yes boys is located in north Miami so they have been getting more families from nmb and Hollywood than they did previously.

You really have to see the schools in person to figure out the nuances.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 11:28 am
What would you say is the clear difference between the families that send to Toras Emes vs YES?

(Asking as a local who totally doesn't see what you are referring to. I think a lot of what makes one family chose one over the other is simply based on who they happened to speak to and what that person recommended at the time, but not so much rhyme or reason as to why a family would chose one over the other.)

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 11:30 am
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:
Just commenting that with the large influx of families in recent years, team and yes have been drifting apart in terms of student body. There is less overlap than there used to be. Obviously still a chunk that does overlap but you will also find that x families overwhelmingly go to one vs. the other. Also, yes boys is located in north Miami so they have been getting more families from nmb and Hollywood than they did previously.

You really have to see the schools in person to figure out the nuances.

Can you be more specific? Which type overwhelmingly goes to which? I'm not really seeing that at all.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating