Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Which out of town community?
Previous  1  2  3

spinkles

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:29 pm
Cleveland is great. You can PM me if you want more info. (I live there.)

ETA: Somebody asked about Greenfire saying Cleveland has three communities. What she meant (I assume) is that there's Wickliffe (where Telshe Yeshiva is), Cleveland Heights, and University Heights.

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:42 pm
As other pple said, detroit. all I really know about it though is my brother lives there and they're very yeshivish and are happy there. also the cost of living there is pretty good from what I hear.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:57 pm
Detroit has many ma'alos, but the big chisaron is the economy. I would only recommend you come here if you already have job.

There are a lot of houses in the the frum community for sale, and many are less than 200,000. There are 2 solid frum schools, both with girls' high schools, and one yeshiva gedola. There is a yeshiva kolel, a Lakewood kolel, and a very strong Partners in Torah program. There is also another kiruv organization called Machon L'Torah.

Another good thing about Detroit is that you can pretty much drive anywhere from here.

Kosher food is expensive, but it is probably that way in other out-of-town places as well.

Toledo is very fledgling. There are only a handful of frum families there, and it is really in the pioneer stages. Hopefully the Yeshiva will do well, but I wouldn't really call it a frum community.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:58 pm
twerski started a drug rehab in pittsburgh because that is where he is from ... no community is immune from drugs ...

as far as cleveland ... there is the telshe community out in wickliff ... mostly being the yeshiva and a kollel but nothing else ...

then you have cleveland heights which is mostly telshe/yeshivish type people with a couple of others ... inexpensive housing ... 2 schools - yeshiva type mosdos & hebrew academy elementary ... jewish stores ... 5 shuls ...there is a kollel here as well ...

as it moves to university heights property gets more expensive ... and people also are more of a mix as in yeshivish as well as mo with a co-ed school there mizrachi ... also has a kollel

again it moves a tad farther into beachwood and you have an even bigger variety of chabad, yeshivish, modern ... houses more expensive ... many shuls available ...

there are 3 miles from cleveland heights to beachwood with university heights in between ...

as with every community you will find positives and negatives ...

again check more details as you decide where might be doable for you ...

employement might be more difficult in this location ...

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 4:03 pm
We moved from E"y back to america a few years ago. We are now in Baltimore and it's working out very well, BH. I think it's a great place for a "post E"y/post kollel" family, meaning that coming from kollel, we've found a lot of similar like-minded people. The big benefit of Baltimore over other yeshivish OOT places is that:

1) it's big and there are lots of opportunities for learning. Your husband can join kollel dirshu in the AM, or a night kollel, or whatever...meaning, there are enough people here that he will find a good match.

2)Economy and job market is much stronger than other OOT places, such as Cleveland and Detroit

3) Tons of young people. lots and lots of young, yeshivish families, not just people in kollel. Lots of serious, working bnei Torah.

if you want more info, you can email me at jrm538@gmail.com

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 4:06 pm
I am the Detroit amother again. I just wanted to add that I just noticed that you were looking for a kolel and I recently heard that Partners in Torah/YBY may be starting a new kolel, so that might be something to look into.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 4:15 pm
what is the cost of living like in baltimore? also, my husband isn't a professional therefore he would be looking for a kli kodesh position working with high school/beis midresh/older/balabatim/kiruv type thing.

also, I need a place where I can get a job as an accountant with decent commute or within the community itself.

MMEC123

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 8:20 pm
If you want info on Atlanta, GA feel free to PM me. It's also a nice place. There's an elementary school with separate classes, a girls' high school and a boys mesivta/yeshiva. There's a kiruv kollel and a number of shuls with a wide range of people- including plenty of yeshivish. Housing is significantly lower than the NY area and it is beautiful. Again, PM me if you want more info.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
what is the cost of living like in baltimore? also, my husband isn't a professional therefore he would be looking for a kli kodesh position working with high school/beis midresh/older/balabatim/kiruv type thing.

also, I need a place where I can get a job as an accountant with decent commute or within the community itself.

The cost of living in Baltimore is def. less than NY. While I can't say that every single thing here is less than what I would pay in NY, I think overall the COL is lower. For sure that rents, insurance, gas prices, tuition is lower.
The economy here is relatively strong, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to find work as an accountant-- it seems like everyone here is either a programmer, an accountant, or an attorney! A lot of people here work for the federal gov't. I know many accountants who work in the Baltimore area-- either downtown, or one of the nearby suburbs, so commute shouldn't be such a prob.

, In terms of your husband, that's trickier. While there are many frum institutions, there are also BH a lot of very talented bnei Torah. So I don't know what the competition is like.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:
Detroit has many ma'alos, but the big chisaron is the economy. I would only recommend you come here if you already have job.

now really. the economy is bad everywhere. and it would be silly to move to any community without a job if you were expecting one. many job markets are thriving- just don't plan on working for the big three car companies.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
I am the Detroit amother again. I just wanted to add that I just noticed that you were looking for a kolel and I recently heard that Partners in Torah/YBY may be starting a new kolel, so that might be something to look into.

why are you still trying to convince her to come here. you've already scared her off. please continue to make detroit sound like a 3rd world country. you're doing a great job

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 10:42 pm
another cleveland vote with chana_f and greenfire. Smile

I live here too, pm me if you get serious about cleveland! I live in Cleveland Heights and LOVE IT!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 1:26 pm
Just wondering what the OP decided on?

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 2:01 pm
If the OP still hasn't made a decision you can PM about South Bend.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating