Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Cleaning Hacks?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 1:24 pm
I am looking for cleaning hacks so I can keep my two bedroom apartment clean while working 35 hours a week. I am always super tired in the evenings after work, plus I have my baby to take care of, but it bothers me that my apartment isn’t super clean. I have a cleaning lady every other week for three hours and I can afford more hours but would like to do more during the week myself so my apartment is clean on a regular basis. Working moms, how do you keep your spaces clean while not wearing yourselves to the bone? I also like going to sleep around 11:30- if I stayed up longer, I’m sure I would get more done! I am looking for easy cleaning/organizing hacks that are quick and effective.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 1:29 pm
Depending when you function best, morning or night, I'd do a quick power half hour/power hour (depending on how much time you have) to quickly tidy up. Once you do this often enough, you'll fall into it naturally and you won't even have to think of what you need to do once you start.
There are loads of videos on youtube of this.

GLUE

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 1:31 pm
Not what you want,

Lower your standards, it is going to get worse as your baby starts to crawl and get into every thing.

If you are working full time you are already tired don't make things worse by trying to keep to impossible standards.

Things look cleaner when the surface is clean, get a box to hid your babies stuff and you could just throw everything in it.

Paper like mail could take over your life, get a box to throw it in and once a week go threw it.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 1:36 pm
Take 15 minutes in the morning and make the bed and clear the sink and wipe down the counter. Throw out any clutter. Keep Clorox wipes in every bathroom and just swab down the counter or other surfaces while you are in there. Throw out any that is obvious waste and make a point of taking items back to the rooms where they belong do they don’t pile up. Take out the garbage on your way out.

Have a box to toss baby stuff so the living area looks neat.

If yiur home doesn’t look messy it goes a long way to coming home at night and feeling more relaxed.

Also if you can afford the cleaner to come once a week it is worth it because it will stay looking more organized and you will have time to keep it from looking disorganized and messy rather than have to actually clean it. My hime stays neat looking for at least a few days and if it is neat it is easier for me to keep it neat looking 🤷‍♀️ That is the basis for making the bed and clearing the sink every morning

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 3:08 pm
I don't know your husband or his schedule but get him on board in some capacity. Approach the issue together.

Much easier now than down the line when you're drowning and resentful and he's not used to it.

I also prioritize what's important to me - what will make me feel calmer. It's not always the same thing. Sometimes, it's the dishes. Sometimes, it's the clutter.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 5:03 pm
Ha I would go for wishing my house to be kept clean, not super clean. It really does get harder as the kids multiply and get that bit older.
Things I find helpful is really trying to stay on top of things-sweeping the floor and clearing the counters as I work. When things start to build up, that's when it gets harder.
I love my cleaning wipes. I keep packets of wipes in convenient places and just a quick wipe gets my counters/table etc clean without needing to spray and find a cloth or kitchen towel. I also have cleaning wipes for my bathroom so I can give the sink and toilet a quick wipeover to keep it looking clean.
Make sure you have a space for each thing to avoid clutter building up. Have boxes if you want to dump things and sort at a later date. I put all my mail in one place until I can sort and either file or throw it.
Having a box to throw baby toys and things into is helpful for a quick tidy.

zaq

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:23 pm
There are shmillions of websites with housekeeping advice. But no matter what, unless you have the energy of a hummingbird, no household with small children --even with a SAHM, let alone a mom who works full time-- is going to be pristine. You need to accept the fact that your home will not and cannot look as it did before you had a baby. Not till your youngest child moves out in 25 or 35 years from now, at any rate. SUPER clean? You're out of your mind, or, if you're not there yet, you will drive yourself there very soon with your unrealistic expectations. You don't say how old your baby is, but rest assured, things will get worse before they get better. Don't you know that a toddler's favorite activity is to take a box or bin full of toys and upend it on the floor, shrieking in delight at the accompanying racket and disarray? And if there is no bin of toys, the trash bin will do just as well.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:26 pm
Get a robot vacuum and let it run once a day. Get some big baskets where you can store things that make the space look messy. I use one for toys in the living room...can just dump all the toys in and stick it in the corner and it looks tidy. Keep the counters clear with minimal clutter. In the evening I put away what doesn't belong on the counter and wipe it down. Tackle one room at a time. A few minutes in each room should do the trick.

Flip Flops

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:29 pm
It's not worth cleaning up the toys at 9:00 pm if they are going to be right back on the floor at 7:00 am. Just leave them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:30 pm
Thank you everyone- to those who say don’t bother and to those who gave tips- it is all helpful!
My husband is very helpful. He wipes down the counters every night and washes the dishes. He vacuums once a week. I just find myself so tired every night that I look at my apartment and get stressed about the cleaning that needs to get done but I have no energy to do it.. I will look into a robot vacuum. We are also very limited with storage space and my 3 month old baby has a TON of stuff- any tips for that?

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:30 pm
Plastic disposable goods. Tablecloths. Plates. Utensils. Cups. Etc. I feel terrible that I'm using so much plastic. But it keeps my house running smoothly.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:33 pm
I totally hear what you want, but it's just that, a wish!

Working full time + a baby + going to sleep early, there is no way your home will be clean.

I am slowly learning to embrace this. Life with children = mess. But it's all worth it.

I got a robot vacuum to clean my main floor every night. Makes a big difference for me.

I try to keep putting things away as I go about my day.

Good luck learning to embrace the beauty of motherhood. If you like cleanliness, it's not an easy thing to swallow.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:35 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
Plastic disposable goods. Tablecloths. Plates. Utensils. Cups. Etc. I feel terrible that I'm using so much plastic. But it keeps my house running smoothly.

You don't need to feel bad!

Your job is to be a mom, and the best one that you can be. If plastic is what helps you be a better mom, than you use all the plastic you need!!

Hashem is the only one who manages the world/ climate/ eco system.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone- to those who say don’t bother and to those who gave tips- it is all helpful!
My husband is very helpful. He wipes down the counters every night and washes the dishes. He vacuums once a week. I just find myself so tired every night that I look at my apartment and get stressed about the cleaning that needs to get done but I have no energy to do it.. I will look into a robot vacuum. We are also very limited with storage space and my 3 month old baby has a TON of stuff- any tips for that?

Put the baby's stuff in baskets/bins. I put toys in a big basket. Diaper stuff in a bin. Formula stuff in a bin. Whatever you don't use frequently should be in a closet. The less clutter the neater things look.

cupcake123

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:48 pm
Get a roomba! Cheaper then cleaning help in the long run. The roomba will also motivate you to quickly clean up the toys.
Get rid of any extra stuff or clutter
Use wipes to quickly clean the bathroom and the disposable (flushable ) toilet cleaner.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:07 pm
Do you have room for some kind of storage wall unit in the living room. As others have posted, the easiest way to deal with baby or children clutter is to have bins or baskets - anything that hides the mess and is easy to access. If it is difficult to throw things in it won't get done.

IKEA or The Container Store have some good stuff - at least they would give you some ideas of storage. The Container Store is especially good for giving one ideas even if one doesn't buy from them.

Nice looking woven baskets are an "elegant" way to hide clutter. Even if one just has shelving one can put a row of baskets on the floor and it upgrades the look as well as hiding the clutter but still making it accessible.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:14 pm
Clorox wipes won’t be safe once the baby gets more mobile and curious.
Unless you keep them locked up.

mra01385

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:22 pm
Thank you all for the chizuk on keeping the house clean and organized. I also find it hard to keep my house organized and clutter free as I work part time and have physical disability that limits me a lot from doing a lot of physical work due to shortness of breath.
When does everyone find time to organize and get rid of clothes and items they don’t need, especially paper clutter?

Amarante

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:27 pm
mra01385 wrote:
Thank you all for the chizuk on keeping the house clean and organized. I also find it hard to keep my house organized and clutter free as I work part time and have physical disability that limits me a lot from doing a lot of physical work due to shortness of breath.
When does everyone find time to organize and get rid of clothes and items they don’t need, especially paper clutter?

You declutter 15 minutes at a time - and stop when the alarm stops.

Depending on what you are cluttering - for paper most of it can be tossed - if you need to keep it then scan it and put it in a file on your computer. Very few items need the original - e.g. you need your original birth certificate; death certificate; wills, trusts etc. But almost everything else is fine with a digital copy. You don't need bank statements or any kind of brokerage statements because they are all available on line.

What other paper stuff are you dealing with? There are specific ways to deal with children's artwork for example.

There is almost no reason to have lots of printed photos. Keep them digital. =

mra01385

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 8:52 am
I also have School papers, insurance papers, papers that don’t fit into any category, receipts. Where do you keep your papers til you’re ready to scan them? Also, when do you have time to scan your papers?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics