Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need fashion advise- Are shells in or out?
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 11  12  13  Next

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:21 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Well let’s back up and define weird… who decides what weird is? Why is it “normal” to show cleavage? Maybe that’s weird? Many dresses still look elegant even with shells under. I think it’s super weird that people walk around skin hanging, fat shaking in the wind and everyone considers it normal. Most people are too ugly to show off that much skin and they just look frumpy and ugly in their tight ill fitting dresses. I’m in a non Jewish photography group so I see a ton of non Jewish weddings. I’m sorry but your typical Jane doe does not look elegant in her sleeveless fancy dress. Most look downright ugly. If that’s the alternative to wearing shells well then you lost the argument there.
the way you refer to certain body types is downright rude. Don’t put down people who look different than the way you think is an optimum body type. You can do a lot of harm to people on this site, who are sensitive to people looking critically at their body shape - even when they are dressed tznius.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:23 pm
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
the way you refer to certain body types is downright rude. Don’t put down people who look different than the way you think is an optimum body type. You can do a lot of harm to people on this site, who are sensitive to people looking critically at their body shape - even when they are dressed tznius.

Never discussed body type. Just skin. And yes I think wearing short short and showing your arm pits is ugly. I actually think telling frum people that what they are wearing is tragic can cause way more damage but to each their own.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:24 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Well let’s back up and define weird… who decides what weird is? Why is it “normal” to show cleavage? Maybe that’s weird? Many dresses still look elegant even with shells under. I think it’s super weird that people walk around skin hanging, fat shaking in the wind and everyone considers it normal. Most people are too ugly to show off that much skin and they just look frumpy and ugly in their tight ill fitting dresses. I’m in a non Jewish photography group so I see a ton of non Jewish weddings. I’m sorry but your typical Jane doe does not look elegant in her sleeveless fancy dress. Most look downright ugly. If that’s the alternative to wearing shells well then you lost the argument there.

Why so extreme?

Many secular women don’t wear skimpy clothing with their fat hanging out or lots of cleavage showing.

It is extreme to find an elbow or a bit of collarbone or toes to be immodest. Princess Kate dresses modestly and elegantly.

If you don’t care about fashion, that is fine as one doesn’t have to. But you can’t claim that a certain look is stylish and also then argue that being stylish is irrelevant to you when people state it is not stylish.

One can be fashionable without being trendy and ine can be fashionable and stylish at any age but there is no denying that there is such a thing as fashion and that fashion changes over the course of time. If you look at old movies or television people would think you were weird if you wore that clothing even though it was fashionable at that time. No one is stopping anyone from wearing anything and if you genuinely don’t care thst is great. However most women do want to be somewhat stylish and fashionable and elegant.

4everdiet

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:28 pm
Amother junglegreen, you seem to know frum fashion well. And I do believe our fashion is specific to us. I’d like to ask what you mean by the tragic shell look. Say if I’m wearing a cute cotton dress with pretty, loose sleeves, is there a way to do this look without a shell? Or the dress is a no no? I’m asking seriously, btw.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Why so extreme?

Many secular women don’t wear skimpy clothing with their fat hanging out or lots of cleavage showing.

It is extreme to find an elbow or a bit of collarbone or toes to be immodest. Princess Kate dresses modestly and elegantly.

If you don’t care about fashion, that is fine as one doesn’t have to. But you can’t claim that a certain look is stylish and also then argue that being stylish is irrelevant to you when people state it is not stylish.

One can be fashionable without being trendy and ine can be fashionable and stylish at any age but there is no denying that there is such a thing as fashion and that fashion changes over the course of time. If you look at old movies or television people would think you were weird if you wore that clothing even though it was fashionable at that time. No one is stopping anyone from wearing anything and if you genuinely don’t care thst is great. However most women do want to be somewhat stylish and fashionable and elegant.

I am responding to extreme. Don't take my comment out of context. I am responding to calling a shell tragic, and to people saying that dresses are super elegant sleeveless with skin showingyet frumpy with a shell. None of that makes sense. This whole thread is about extremes. Who really cares what anyone wears? Does anyone have the head space for this nonsense? While we are on the topic of saying how a shell automatically equals frumpy it got me thinking what looks frumpy to me and the image I pictured was people showing off skin in elegant dresses. It's always weird when people jump in in middle of a discussion and start acting like comments should be taken at face value out of context.

4everdiet

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:33 pm
I’m old enough to remember how difficult it was to buy anything that wasn’t sewn specifically for the frum shopper. To me those tight little shells were a lifesaver that made shopping so much easier. Personally, I treat a shell like it would be skin, if you get what I mean. Think how a dress fits and moves on you when it covers complete elbows and collar bones versus something that’s at least more cut out by the neck. It has much better grace and movement this way. So I vote that we all bring the shell look back!!

DustyDiamonds

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:48 pm
4everdiet wrote:
Amother junglegreen, you seem to know frum fashion well. And I do believe our fashion is specific to us. I’d like to ask what you mean by the tragic shell look. Say if I’m wearing a cute cotton dress with pretty, loose sleeves, is there a way to do this look without a shell? Or the dress is a no no? I’m asking seriously, btw.

It’s out of style to wear a shell underneath it. That doesn’t mean it’s a moral failing☺️

I would take some fabric from the bottom (I’m short) and add it to the sleeves. Or buy two and have my tailor make sleeves from the extra one. Or, last resort, have the sleeves removed and wear it with a shell, if it looks good like that.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:49 pm
Omg this thread is 7 pages lol not reading everything but im 26, and amongst my friends, no one wears shells anymore. its considered very nerdy. if you have a sleeveless dress, a chiffon blouse under looks more stylish.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:05 pm
Ugh. I hate being different. But I have no sense of what's in and ye I had no idea until this thread that wearing shells is so out. I love shells. It makes me feel neat and protects my clothing from sweat etc....

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:12 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Omg this thread is 7 pages lol not reading everything but im 26, and amongst my friends, no one wears shells anymore. its considered very nerdy. if you have a sleeveless dress, a chiffon blouse under looks more stylish.
chiffon blouse? Huh? What age are you referring to? I’m in my 30s and would sooner wear a fitted sleek looking shell than a grandmotherly chiffon looking blouse

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:18 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
chiffon blouse? Huh? What age are you referring to? I’m in my 30s and would sooner wear a fitted sleek looking shell than a grandmotherly chiffon looking blouse

That's the 80s comeback.
However full on dresses are not made to wear anything underneath and wearing a blouse underneath looks off--it just doesn't sit right, unless you can pull the collar out above the neckline of the dress. I'm assuming she means jumpers which are meant to be worn with a t-shirt or blouse underneath it.
I feel like there must be some 80s era Princess Diana pics floating around somewhere with this combo, along with her iconic Peter pan collar blouses, and yes, sweater vests. As a child of the 80s, it's a rare previously published photo of hers that I haven't seen. If you want to get an idea of classy & higher class 80s trends, you can Google older pics of her.

kenz

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:21 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
I’m loving this one! Hope you enjoy it too!

https://www.apparalel.com/coll.....white

Thanks for that - I would love to try it, but they're sold out in my size. Oh well.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:01 pm
So glad I live out of town. People wear shells and no one cares and we have more money to spend towards important things in life rather than fashion rules made by high schoolers. It’s quite freeing.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:21 pm
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:
So glad I live out of town. People wear shells and no one cares and we have more money to spend towards important things in life rather than fashion rules made by high schoolers. It’s quite freeing.

I live oot. The only people I see wearing shells are 60ish and up ladies.....and even they are getting fewer and farther between.....

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:27 pm
I’m finding this thread confusing because I’m a totally with it and up to date girl and I definitely wear a shell if the outfit calls for it! What am I missing??

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:33 pm
I’m finding this thread confusing because I’m a totally with it and up to date girl and I definitely wear a shell if the outfit calls for it! What am I missing??

But you're not wearing it under a top that's short sleeves or under a tank top. More like a t-shirt or crew neck under an open front cardigan?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:10 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
But you're not wearing it under a top that's short sleeves or under a tank top. More like a t-shirt or crew neck under an open front cardigan?
right whatever I wear it under it blends in seamlessly. It’s not so obvious.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:11 pm
right whatever I wear it under it blends in seamlessly. It’s not so obvious.

There you go.

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:21 pm
Hi, my name is Tigerwife. I live “in town” and I’ll wear a shell to make a top or outfit work if I really like it. Sometimes I’ll even wear a long sleeve tee under short sleeves because my inner sk8rgrl is shining through. I’m cool like that 😎

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:30 pm
I live OOT, in my late 30's, and often wear a black or white shell under a sleeveless dress or top. I see shells where I live on all ages. If I had to guess at a dividing line between who wears them and who doesn't, it wouldn't be by age. It would be more by community. I see more shells on MO and JPF women and girls, and fewer shells in the yeshivish part of the community.
Page 7 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics