Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need fashion advise- Are shells in or out?
  Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 11  12  13  Next

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:30 pm
I just bought a cute leather vest? Is it nerdy if I wear a shell underneath it? What am I supposed to wear?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:35 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
chiffon blouse? Huh? What age are you referring to? I’m in my 30s and would sooner wear a fitted sleek looking shell than a grandmotherly chiffon looking blouse

They're not grandmotherly.
You said you are in your 30's, were different ages, different stages. This is what other girls my age wear. My friends range from 22-26 my age.

But again, most of us dont even bother wearing sleeveless dresses.

Something like this under a sleeveless dress is very sharp. Couldnt find this shirt in white but you get the main idea...

https://us.shein.com/Tie-Neck-.....D_BwE

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:40 pm
Shells are out

Being blunt and honest

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:42 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I live OOT, in my late 30's, and often wear a black or white shell under a sleeveless dress or top. I see shells where I live on all ages. If I had to guess at a dividing line between who wears them and who doesn't, it wouldn't be by age. It would be more by community. I see more shells on MO and JPF women and girls, and fewer shells in the yeshivish part of the community.
this! Shells are used more often when buying cooler less yeshivish styled clothing. The in town Bais yaakov types are mostly shopping in Jewish stores.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:45 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
this! Shells are used more often when buying cooler less yeshivish styled clothing. The in town Bais yaakov types are mostly shopping in Jewish stores.

So interesting. Here in Baltimore the more yeshivish women tend to dress in clothing that hasn’t been in style recently, and wear shells with short sleeve tops. I was just doing a bunch of errands today and noticed this!

I’m referring to women who are at stores during the day, not teenagers!

MommyPhD

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:49 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I'm not worked up. I just think the whole thing is laughable. People against it because it's not in style in the non jewish world, wearing long sleeves is also weird, people who are against it because it's not in style in the frum world, well some of those styles are questionable, and it's about being tznius so that doesn't add up either, people who are against shells because ewww, ugly, gross and all that sound extra silly. And btw cardigans are super nerdy and old lady like, so I never get the discussions that encourage cardigans over shells that's so much worse. It seems that people who are against shells are the ones worked up here. I wear what I like, I don't think anyone would say my clothing is out of style necessarily, but I use a shell as a tznius item. It's so easy, and I would rather that then get all my clothing sewed up or wear uncomfortable top buttons. And that offends people to the point of calling it tragic which is a bit pathetic if you ask me.

Plenty of polished women, Jewish and not, in the professional world wear cardigans. I don't think professionals see cardigans as "nerdy" (hate the overuse of that word on this website). You can buy them at lots of classic stores.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:50 pm
Amarante wrote:
Doesn't an older teen have the desire and ability to pick out her own clothing.

Why doesn't she shop where her friends shop and wear the kind of clothing they are wearing.

Isn't shopping with one's friends as a teenager one of the great joys of life? My mother had final approval when I brought things home but there weren't any issues.

Not everyone can afford to let their teens shop with their friends. I live in an area where the teenagers/daughter’s friends shop In Jewish stores where the the clothes are way out of my price range. I shop online and buy clothes for a fraction of what their charging in the frum teen stores. I would love for her to “shop with friends” I just can’t afford it.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:54 pm
I was in the Shell station yesterday in one of the Brooklyn locations. Was quite busy. I didn't know they carry ribbed shells. I bought a shell for dd to wear under her robe . Never mind the robe was expensive and bought in local store

MommyPhD

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:58 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Omg this thread is 7 pages lol not reading everything but im 26, and amongst my friends, no one wears shells anymore. its considered very nerdy. if you have a sleeveless dress, a chiffon blouse under looks more stylish.

This!!

amother
Milk

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:04 pm
For people asking where young people get clothes, a lot of the younger women I know (in their 20s) love ASOS, H&M, and other European brands that tend to have dresses with sleeves (dresses that do not look like prairie outfits).

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:12 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
They're not grandmotherly.
You said you are in your 30's, were different ages, different stages. This is what other girls my age wear. My friends range from 22-26 my age.

But again, most of us dont even bother wearing sleeveless dresses.

Something like this under a sleeveless dress is very sharp. Couldnt find this shirt in white but you get the main idea...

https://us.shein.com/Tie-Neck-.....D_BwE

LOL Wore this in 1989 when I was in my early twenties. Fashion is on a circular repeat and sometimes quite ridiculous.Just wear what you like and are comfortable with.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:39 am
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
To be brutally honest, the shell look has not been in for many years already. In the outside world it was trendy like 15 years ago and in the frum world its already been out for at least 5 years. It's super nerdy bordering on tragic.

At first your comment made me burst out laughing that anyone would care that much about fashion. After a few moments it struck me that this was one of the saddest things I have ever read. For someone to be such a slave to fashion to call it nearly tragic to wear something that is not in??? I personally couldnt care less if something is fashionable as long as I look good in it.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:43 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Omg this thread is 7 pages lol not reading everything but im 26, and amongst my friends, no one wears shells anymore. its considered very nerdy. if you have a sleeveless dress, a chiffon blouse under looks more stylish.

Why the heck are so many people "afraid" to look nerdy? Grow up and do what makes YOU happy. Why do you need to get other people's approval?

rainbow dash

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:13 am
I'm 42, live in antwerp and I still wear shells. Nearly every day actually. A lot of my clothes have short sleeves, am I supposed to throw them away cause wearing a shell is out of fashion? I'm a plus size and finding clothes for me is hard enough. I have 2 dresses also with short sleeves.

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 3:04 am
Some things you can wear instead of a shell-

-Under a weekday or casual jumper: ribbed tee
-On top of a short sleeve or sleeveless dress: cardigan or blazer
-under a dressy top or dress: blouse or shirt

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 3:06 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Um what. I’m 21 and live in a very in town community where everyone is trendy. And if someone has a gorgeous designer dress that needs a shell obv u wear a shell. I literally wore one to my vort with a BCBG dress as did many of my very trendy friends. No one wears a chiffon blouse no one even owns one. Anyone whose gonna day a shell is nerdy for a designer dress I’m sorry but your literally wrong and way too involved in trends. As I said before I’ll fitting bags of various linen fabrics are incredibly unflattering. Thank you.

Heyaaa

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 3:26 am
How is it possible to ask fashion advice from an anonymous website? Fashion trends are very communal. Fashion standards in Lakewood, Teaneck, Chicago, LA, and Houston are so vastly different that the only way to get an answer as to what goes in your community is to ask the salesladies in your locality. They'll be honest because they want you to buy what's currently selling.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 5:03 am
I always seem to come ''into fashion'' about 2 years late. That means I will probably be wearing shells for the next couple years at least and then we'll see if I even know what the new fashion is from the previous couple years. LOL

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 5:18 am
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
Um what. I’m 21 and live in a very in town community where everyone is trendy. And if someone has a gorgeous designer dress that needs a shell obv u wear a shell. I literally wore one to my vort with a BCBG dress as did many of my very trendy friends. No one wears a chiffon blouse no one even owns one. Anyone whose gonna day a shell is nerdy for a designer dress I’m sorry but your literally wrong and way too involved in trends. As I said before I’ll fitting bags of various linen fabrics are incredibly unflattering. Thank you.

This!! I love when posters consider themselves in style and trendy and then attach links from shein and suggest shopping by hm and asos! LOL nobody I know would wear anything from shein or these stores. They’re all in pricey designer things and expensive stuff from Jewish stores. Not meli and junees. And they wouldn’t be caught dead wearing a chiffon blouse especially ones that ties on a bow at the collar Can't Believe It And they’re still very much wearing shells. Who am I taking fashion advice from? Can't Believe It

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 5:20 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
This!! I love when posters consider themselves in style and trendy and then attach links from shein and suggest shopping by hm and asos! LOL nobody I know would wear anything from shein or these stores. They’re all in pricey designer things and expensive stuff from Jewish stores. Not meli and junees. And they wouldn’t be caught dead wearing a chiffon blouse especially ones that ties on a bow at the collar Can't Believe It And they’re still very much wearing shells. Who am I taking fashion advice from? Can't Believe It

Yassssss thank you.
Page 8 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics