Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need fashion advise- Are shells in or out?
  Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next

Coffee beanz

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:25 am
I'll wear a white or black sleeveless dress with a matching shell. That way it's all one color and you really can't tell but that's about it. But honestly I think you should wear what you like!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:32 am
Shells are there to make things tznius when they aren’t. It’s not an in or out thing. It’s the most amazing thing that exists for frum women. Seems immature not to Italian it. ( Ironically the people that always insisted it looks ridiculous and Jews looked weird wearing it blah blah I never really thought their style was that amazing to have such a judgmental opinion. )

amother
Heather

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:34 am
I wouldn't buy anything like that now (or the past year or two) but if you have it in your closet and you want to wear it it's totally okay.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:45 am
So the layered look and days of wearing any sleeve length with a shell underneath are not "in" anymore and have not been for a few years.

How do I know about style? my kids have refused to wear such things for a few years.

Myself, I still wear. You still see it all around Lakewood as plenty of us keep our clothes for years. It is not so bad that you can't wear it. but no, you will not see it on the "fashionable" people.

(It's not like wearing a 3/4 length suit - remember those from the late 90s/early 2000s? )

PeanutMama

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:18 am
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
I disagree. And I’m not nerdy or nebby or whatever I wear designer blah blah
Truthfully the dresses in the Jewish clothing stores right now are nerdy everyone looks like little house on the prairie and does not understand the concept of proper fit. I worked in the stores I know this for a fact. If you find a dress that’s sleeveless but fits you beautiful a shell is not nerdy at all.

I’m sorry, this was really funny 😂

Here everyone is wearing (at least, now) these long pretty skirts I wish I could wear and a coordinating top. Pity these types of clothes only make me look bigger all around so I just stick to skirt, shell and top 🥹

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:33 am
A sleeveless dress with a shell underneath hasn’t been in style in at least 10 years.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:48 am
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
A sleeveless dress with a shell underneath hasn’t been in style in at least 10 years.

I really think that’s not true
A designer dress is usually sleeveless and does not look nerdy with a shell
People who only wear the Jewish brands are actually nerdy to people who don’t do what everyone else does

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:50 am
https://I.imgur.com/Eq0G3FT.jpg
This is not nerdy at all

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:54 am
If you don't care about being up to date, it's ok.
But, at this point, the only people I see still wearing this style are upper middle aged ladies who don't keep up with trends. TMI

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:55 am
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
I really think that’s not true
A designer dress is usually sleeveless and does not look nerdy with a shell
People who only wear the Jewish brands are actually nerdy to people who don’t do what everyone else does

It looks seamless and great. It’s hysterical the productions people make over it. Also the layered look was in for the last five years in the non Jewish world. The shell look was super in.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:57 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
If you don't care about being up to date, it's ok.
But, at this point, the only people I see still wearing this style are upper middle aged ladies who don't keep up with trends. TMI

Really? Where I live everyone wears a variety of things at all ages. I mean I guess it’s super cool for every frum women to wear the same 5 dresses. I thought fashionistas were all about being their own style and super unique looks. How is it not nerdy to match the whole world?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:58 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
It looks seamless and great. It’s hysterical the productions people make over it. Also the layered look was in for the last five years in the non Jewish world. The shell look was super in.

No, it was in around 5 years ago outside the frum world. The layered look has been out there, too, the past few years. I work with mostly young trendy, non Jewish colleagues and they haven't worn that style for some time.
It's back to the 80s now. I'm seeing plaids, flannel shirts, big oversized button down shirts etc

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:01 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Really? Where I live everyone wears a variety of things at all ages. I mean I guess it’s super cool for every frum women to wear the same 5 dresses. I thought fashionistas were all about being their own style and super unique looks. How is it not nerdy to match the whole world?

I wear what I like, which does NOT include floral prairie dresses, I do not need to wear trendy fads. Classic is fine with me, but nothing wrong with not wanting to look outdated. Are you still wearing the suits from the style of 20 years ago? I'm betting not.
Actually when the layered look was in, these upper middle aged ladies were still wearing their suits for the first couple years. Eventually, even they moved on.

gootlfriends

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:08 am
Right now the non Jewish world is dressing somewhat modestly. It won't last long but target is selling dresses with long sleeves. Very little house on the prairie. Many look like nightgowns. There are some dresses that are sleeveless. I still wear shells but I don't have teenagers and don't hang out with trendy people. And the dresses do not fit unless you are curvy....

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:11 am
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/Eq0G3FT.jpg
This is not nerdy at all

I must be missing something in your example because the model is wearing a sleeveless dress without a shell. It has a high neck.

If you added a shell to it with sleeves - in any color - it would completely spoil the look of the dress. It was never meant to be worn with anything but needs the arms to show in order for the dress to look balanced and not weird.

I also don't understand the difficulty of finding cotton t-shirts of some kind that don't need shells and have either 3/4 or long sleeves. If necessary one can wear a light camisole if the neckline is too low for your standards. They even make tanks with built in bras which are intended to be used under clothing.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:13 am
To be brutally honest, the shell look has not been in for many years already. In the outside world it was trendy like 15 years ago and in the frum world its already been out for at least 5 years. It's super nerdy bordering on tragic.

Chloe22

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:18 am
Oy! I just got a dress that needs a shell under it! I wear cotton t shirts from lands end. Can't wear polyester.

lovepinterest

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:19 am
Ummmm so shells are come back in. Just look at how many times Kim kardashian wore shell type top under a strappy dress/jumpsuit. Look at many runway looks this season or for next season most are layered with blouse, turtleneck, or shell type. However most of those looks are monochromatic

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:20 am
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
To be brutally honest, the shell look has not been in for many years already. In the outside world it was trendy like 15 years ago and in the frum world its already been out for at least 5 years. It's super nerdy bordering on tragic.

I’m sorry if you call a shell tragic you need help lol.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:23 am
lovepinterest wrote:
Ummmm so shells are come back in. Just look at how many times Kim kardashian wore shell type top under a strappy dress/jumpsuit. Look at many runway looks this season or for next season most are layered with blouse, turtleneck, or shell type. However most of those looks are monochromatic

Blouses and turtlenecks with jumpers are very 80s. Like I said. Very different from wearing a shell under a dress meant to be worn alone.
My prediction is that, as soon as the dress fad ends, we are back to suits. Sadly, imo. I wouldn't invest in too many of the prairie dresses even if they flattered me, because I think they'll have a short lifespan.
Page 2 of 13   Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next Recent Topics