Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need fashion advise- Are shells in or out?
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:50 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
They told me it had tight sleeves and emphasized the arms too much....remember before shells started, people wore looser t-shirts or button down shirts (or dresses with sleeves that didn't hug your arms so much).

Halachically, your sleeves are allowed to be skin tight. (upper arms have a different halacha than, say, your thighs.)

dancingqueen

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:51 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
For the record the whole world has not embraced this kind of prairie look - at least not how it is interpreted in the frum world.

When secular women wear this look there is generally some skin showing to balance out the proportions - whether it is sleeveless as in a true sun dress or whether has neckline which exposes some skin - not cleavage but just the upper chest. Also it is generally styled in a breezy manner - I.e. it is worn with sandals and not tights or shoes.

If something is transparent or slashed to the pupik, one can wear a pretty camisole or a pretty tank tank. That is a completely normal look even in the secular world.

Interesting, I have to think about that. I wear short sleeves and sandals so I didn't consider that.

However, I do like these looser, more romantic silhouettes it's a nice change from everything skin tight in the frum and not frum world.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:14 am
dancingqueen wrote:
I personally think the long sleeve shell look is kind of tragic. But I do find it interesting the whole world has embraced a very tznius aesthetic (prairie dresses) in the last few years but many posters here have a real aversion to it.

No mocking. I just love the embrace of the word tragic on this thread.
Carry on.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:15 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I know a woman who wears a long sleeved shell. Should I list her tehillim name so you can pray for her?

I'm having too much fun on this thread.
Let us pray, sister. Let us pray.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:15 am
Heyaaa wrote:
PSA apparently the word tragic is very offensive for people. Even if this is how your friends talk, please consider using a different word.

I think it's adorable.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:18 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Halachically, your sleeves are allowed to be skin tight. (upper arms have a different halacha than, say, your thighs.)

I didn't say it's not halachically ok. I'm telling you that a lot of people did not feel comfortable with it when it first started and prob some still don't. It was their own sensitivity. Not that much different from people arguing about inches of a sheitel, above shoulder, to shoulder, below knee vs ankle length skirts (which halachically are certainly ok yet some communities have labeled it a no-no, presumably because it was too trendy at one point).

My point was, holding up shells as the tznius solution for all is relative. It isn't the solution for every outfit or every person, regardless of fashion. So much of what is considered tznius or not isn't even based on halacha, just conformity to social norms. And people who look down on others for "following fashion" are really doing the same, based on their own community social norms.Those people who say they are still doing long sleeve shells say they see others in their neighborhood or community doing the same, as proof it is not completely out of style. So, obviously they don't want to be the absolutely only one dressed that way--they are following others and conforming, too.

imaima

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:32 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm having too much fun on this thread.
Let us pray, sister. Let us pray.

Totally.
I dropped the „he won‘t pleasure me“ thread and came back here

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:35 am
Prairie dresses can overwhelm petite women.

I prefer more fitted styles.

Should I wear the prairie dresses anyway? I mean.... Why think when you can follow blindly? Why wear what flatters your body type in instead of wearing what others insist you must?

It's so annoying when people have their own sense of style and think for themselves. What has this world come to?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:36 am
imaima wrote:
Totally.

It's a pleasure having you.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:37 am
pause wrote:
The shell "look" is out.

Doesn't mean you should throw out all your shells.

Shells are still worn in the exact same shade under a high neck short sleeve top (such that the shell isn't sticking out at the neck AND at the sleeves) or high neck sleeveless or short sleeve dress, and as tees under vests and cardigans and jumpers and v-neck dresses.

Correct.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:43 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Interesting, I have to think about that. I wear short sleeves and sandals so I didn't consider that.

However, I do like these looser, more romantic silhouettes it's a nice change from everything skin tight in the frum and not frum world.

Are you on the taller side?

I'm shorter with a small build. I look better in fitted styles.

When I get dressed, my priority is that what I wear flatters my body type.

4everdiet

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:49 am
imaima wrote:
Totally.

Why? You can’t dance at two weddings at the same time??

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:52 am
To wrap up my thoughts on this-

I try to dress fashionably but I allow myself leeway within the fashion rules for what I feel comfortable in and what suits my body type. I am flexible with fashion. Despite these transgressions, I have B"H maintained good friendships for years, I get along well with my neighbors, none of these people are nerdy, and I doubt that anyone considers me nerdy. The concept of "nerdy" goes beyond clothing choices. I do my own thing, I don't think shells are tragic, and I generally have an interesting thoughtful approach to life. Abiding by rules in a rigid way, whether those are fashion rules or otherwise, is a bit nerdy to my mind. You have to make fashion work for YOU.

Show some flexibility, ladies. Think a bit. Your brain is your greatest asset- not your prairie dress. Nerdy is in your approach to life, not in your shell or lack thereof.

4everdiet

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:54 am
Okay, can someone please take pity on me and summarise all the current shell wearing rules ?

I’m sort of joking but not really. I hate looking hopelessly out of style!

amother
Puce

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:59 am
4everdiet wrote:
Okay, can someone please take pity on me and summarise all the current shell wearing rules ?

I’m sort of joking but not really. I hate looking hopelessly out of style!

Basically it shouldn't look layered like you're wearing a shell.
If you need it for something sleeveles, it should blend in exactly with the same shade and fabric that blends in.
You can wear it as a t-shirt with a maxi. As a crew neck under a sweater.

4everdiet

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:06 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
If you need it for something sleeveles, it should blend in exactly with the same shade and fabric that blends in.

Thank you for that! I think I was actually following these rules without even realizing!

Glad to know I’m not tragic 😳…

Love the use of that word here, btw

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 10:45 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Prairie dresses can overwhelm petite women.

I prefer more fitted styles.

Should I wear the prairie dresses anyway? I mean.... Why think when you can follow blindly? Why wear what flatters your body type in instead of wearing what others insist you must?

It's so annoying when people have their own sense of style and think for themselves. What has this world come to?

I bought a prairie dress with a shirred bodice. I wear with heels and it looks great. Yes, I am short and curvy. But the other prairie dresses look terrible on me. There’s so much extra material! I don’t want to look pregnant if I am not. I also have a few dresses that I bought the smallest size in (nice to be a small for a change) and I belt it.

I actually don’t love the current style because it doesn’t flatter me at all. Today I went shopping in a frum store and everything was so colorful and so long. Bh I walked out with a more fitted blouse and matching skirt set that was actually in the neutral non pattered palette but I had to look through every single item before finding it.

I felt old when I went shopping but the current style of polyester colorful long dresses is really not for me.

(I don’t mind cute maxi skirts as long as it’s paired with a sold crew or tee.)

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 10:57 am
PinkFridge wrote:
How are people wearing cardigans in 80 degree weather?

How are they wearing shells?

Personally, I refuse to buy anything that needs a second layer in the heat. The most I’ll wear is a tank underneath.

vandm

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:38 am
they were never an option for me... I have what you call sensory issues and the less layers the better. Always go for long sleeve non sheer clothing

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:44 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

Who said this? Who made all these rules related to how to wear a shell?
Page 12 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics