Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need fashion advise- Are shells in or out?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:26 am
Ugly shapeless nightgowns are the nerdiest thing ever. Yet non shell wearers wear them so proudly and we all have to pretend we aren’t laughing at them. So yeah I’m not really taking fashion advice from such people lol. I was also never able to wrap my head around the floral trend. I wear classy timeless things that are staples and never go out of style.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:26 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
Blouses and turtlenecks with jumpers are very 80s. Like I said. Very different from wearing a shell under a dress meant to be worn alone.
My prediction is that, as soon as the dress fad ends, we are back to suits. Sadly, imo. I wouldn't invest in too many of the prairie dresses even if they flattered me, because I think they'll have a short lifespan.

They don't flatter anyone, so no worries there.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:27 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
I just don’t get it.
I was just in Israel.
I live very oot and we have no jewish stores. So I go to the regular store and buy basic tops, with various sleeve lengths. I wear them under a blazer or a cardigan.
I buy cotton shirt dresses that are available in many shops. Linen clothes are sold too.

I come to Israel and everyone wears layered polyester tops. A short sleeve polyester on top of a long sleeve shell. In the heat!
Why?

Can you link to some flattering cotton shirt dresses you’ve found? I’m always looking for those.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:29 am
I’ve also realized just wear what looks good on you and make sure it fits right and you will always look good. Don’t worry too much what’s in style. I usually shop at Ann Taylor and those kind of stores. They are classic usually fit well. Inexpensive.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:36 am
Blouses and turtlenecks with jumpers are very 80s. Like I said. Very different from wearing a shell under a dress meant to be worn alone.
My prediction is that, as soon as the dress fad ends, we are back to suits. Sadly, imo. I wouldn't invest in too many of the prairie dresses even if they flattered me, because I think they'll have a short lifespan.

Everything now is 80s, including the prairie dresses. Drop waists, big collars, sparkly dazzle thingies ugh. I'm happy at least they haven't brought back shoulder pads!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:38 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Ugly shapeless nightgowns are the nerdiest thing ever. Yet non shell wearers wear them so proudly and we all have to pretend we aren’t laughing at them. So yeah I’m not really taking fashion advice from such people lol. I was also never able to wrap my head around the floral trend. I wear classy timeless things that are staples and never go out of style.

I actually don't own any. At most, I'll wear a faux wrap dress/surplice v neck dress that has sleeves, with a sleeveless shell if needed, which actually can be very flattering.
But wearing a long sleeve shell under short sleeves is almost as dated as wearing those suits I was referring to. Sure, you still can wear them if you want to. But you'll be hard pressed to find anyone under a certain age still doing so.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:43 am
I wear shells as tees under open cardigans with a belt.
Also under a black sleevless sheath dress - with the right black shell it's seamless and looks like it's part of the dress.
Ribbed ones on their own as a tee with a maxi skirt.
That's all.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:52 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Also under a black sleevless sheath dress - with the right black shell it's seamless and looks like it's part of the dress.
That's all.

This is all what I'd consider classic enough that it is timeless....would not have looked out of place 20 years ago, and will still probably be fine 20 years from now. Though dress and skirt styles will probably have a very different look by then.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:55 am
This is all what I'd consider classic enough that it is timeless....would not have looked out of place 20 years ago, and will still probably be fine 20 years from now. Though dress and skirt styles will probably have a very different look by then.

I've always leaned classic and stylish.

seeker

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:20 am
I actually don't own any. At most, I'll wear a faux wrap dress/surplice v neck dress that has sleeves, with a sleeveless shell if needed, which actually can be very flattering.
But wearing a long sleeve shell under short sleeves is almost as dated as wearing those suits I was referring to. Sure, you still can wear them if you want to. But you'll be hard pressed to find anyone under a certain age still doing so.

That's OK, I'm not under a certain age anymore and I own that fact. I think middle aged people trying to keep up with teenagers look silly.

That said, I'm in favor of the trend toward outfits that come with their own sleeves. I still wear the sleeveless clothes that I like, but I'm not actively looking to buy more. If I happened upon one I really like, I would probably get it anyway.

Gracie

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:31 am
Just want to thank the OP and all the responders. Im a middle age mom to a fashionable teenager who looks askance at me every time I mention a shell. I live in a fashionable neighborhood but don't spend much time observing trends. Now that this was brought to my attention im going to try to update my closet a little and be more understanding of my daughter!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:31 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
That's all.

This is what I was talking about. Something seamless not 2 different colors. I know the short sleeve top and shell look is long gone and personally not a fan. But I have some very nice classy designer high end dresses that don’t necessarily work with a blazer or cropped cardigan either.

For reference I’m in early 40’s and mother to teens.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:35 am
Gracie wrote:
Just want to thank the OP and all the responders. Im a middle age mom to a fashionable teenager who looks askance at me every time I mention a shell. I live in a fashionable neighborhood but don't spend much time observing trends. Now that this was brought to my attention im going to try to update my closet a little and be more understanding of my daughter!

I think we’re in the same boat lol
The looks my daughter gives me…

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:36 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:

I also don't understand the difficulty of finding cotton t-shirts of some kind that don't need shells and have either 3/4 or long sleeves. If necessary one can wear a light camisole if the neckline is too low for your standards. They even make tanks with built in bras which are intended to be used under clothing.

I have a thin frame but am busty and have a tummy. I've never found a shirt in a not Jewish store that I can tzniusly wear without a shell for the collar area, and I've never found a shirt in any store that I didn't feel was too clingy without layers. Typically I wear vests, cute cropped jackets, etc, with button downs.

Question for those who say shells are out: are they more ok with plain white or black shirts?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:36 am
seeker wrote:
That's OK, I'm not under a certain age anymore and I own that fact. I think middle aged people trying to keep up with teenagers look silly.

That said, I'm in favor of the trend toward outfits that come with their own sleeves. I still wear the sleeveless clothes that I like, but I'm not actively looking to buy more. If I happened upon one I really like, I would probably get it anyway.

By certain age, I mean like somewhere around 60.
I'm in my early 40s for reference. I do not see people in my age bracket doing the obvious shell look.

kenz

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:43 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I have a thin frame but am busty and have a tummy. I've never found a shirt in a not Jewish store that I can tzniusly wear without a shell for the collar area, and I've never found a shirt in any store that I didn't feel was too clingy without layers. Typically I wear vests, cute cropped jackets, etc, with button downs.

Question for those who say shells are out: are they more ok with plain white or black shirts?

Do you mean under a dress? I've never met a plain white shirt that was not at least somewhat see-through. (Would love to find one but never have.)

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:45 am
//My prediction is that, as soon as the dress fad ends, we are back to suits. //

I think you're right! I've been seeing blazers on teens lately and I'm giggling inside because I know what's coming! The suits! The dropping the skirt! Anyone else in their late 40's remember that?!

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:45 am
Honestly, I always feel so uncomfortable without a shell. It feels like everything underneath is visible somehow. I'm also not going to buy an entire new wardrobe to get rid of my shells. I suppose I'll just look nerdy. As it is, the current styles look mostly awful on me, and I think it's more important for clothing to be flattering than in style.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:08 am
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
Yes cropped cardigans are very trendy right now for dresses

Aren't they hot?

gold21

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:09 am
I wear shells under jumpers, as do my kids, and so does everyone "cool" that I know.

Girl bye.
Page 3 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics