Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Is it acceptable for the caterer to do this?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:34 am
Just curious, Do you and this caterer live in Beitar?
Ask about papergoods, some cheaper caterers give terribly cheap papergoods and paper tablecloths. You may have to upgrade for something normal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:37 am
Not in Beitar.

Good point about the paper goods. I don't remember what they gave us last time, but I'll speak to them about it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:38 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
So she’s more expensive and op would receive an extra side elsewhere. That’s okay, I don’t understand why that makes any difference to my post. The caterer is allowed to be 50sh more expensive if she wants (she probably won’t get business that way though!)
My opinion still stands. And it’s okay if you disagree, I don’t mind. We don’t have to agree.

I reread OP and now I see her choice was in fact the best priced one. My error!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just to be clear, I did not strong arm her. I told her calmly that we have a budget and are limited to 60 shekel a serving. She agreed. Then I said that I just wanted to make sure I understood the menu since last time they gave us 2 sides plus a vegetable. I reminded her that the couscous spoiled, but there was another carb so it wasn't the end of the world. So she asked me if I would want that again now and I said yes, so she said she would ask her husband. And then she called me back with a yes, and I thanked her. It was all very civil and friendly.

Applause Applause
OP you are good!

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're making a bar mitzvah soon and we priced several caterers. We chose the one we did based on her price and the fact that she's local so we feel a certain obligation toward her. The others we priced were 2-10 shekel more per portion. She sent us the menu yesterday, and this sentence was added to the end: "This is more or less the price, but it might increase by up to 5 shekels per portion (bold hers) since there are fluctuations in the prices of paper goods, drinks, and fruits and vegetables."

If she raises her price by 5 shekel a portion, it would make her more expensive than two other caterers which I would have preferred to take. We're on a tight budget which is one of the reasons we chose her. An additional 5 shekel per portion would make the total hundreds of shekels more. Is this just the way these things work and I should just accept it, or should I tell her that I need her to commit to the price she quoted? We have catered quite a few events in the past, and the price quoted was always the final price, but maybe others have had a different experience.

How far away is the bar mitzvah? If it’s close, she should give you an accurate price. Tell her you can not go with an estimate, you need a firm price.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm getting exactly the same as I would have gotten taking either of the first 2 choices, and one is exactly the same price and the other 2 shekel more.

But bec you didn’t go with them you don’t know if they are adjusting prices for increases.
I know here caterers are going up daily.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:18 am
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
But bec you didn’t go with them you don’t know if they are adjusting prices for increases.

The first caterer I spoke to (the one we have very good experience with who charged the same amount) told me that the price she quoted was already after increasing her price because of shmita. We have used her many times in the past and she has always stuck to her price. She's even thrown in an extra dish for free on her own accord because she thought it would add color to the table. I know the second one also charges 9-10 shekel less in general and raised her price because of shemita. Both of these have been in the business for about 30 years, while the one we're taking is much newer (maybe 10 years).

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:33 am
Op you did it perfectly. A caterer has to stick to their price if it’s less than a month alway. Chances are they already bought the nest and chicken and paper goods already. Also if the couscous spilled at your last Simcha then technically she owes tot a free side dish.

I’m happy it worked out well for you and Mazel tov

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:36 am
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:

You mean in the US?

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She just called back. She will give us 2 sides and a vegetable and stick to her price.

All's well that ends well (and hopefully this will).

Thanks again for giving me the confidence to call her.

I feel bad for her. Prices are fluctuating like crazy and the standard side is two not three. Two carbs is not standard and she’s giving it to you at the same price. I hope she ends up with profit

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:56 am
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
Op you did it perfectly. A caterer has to stick to their price if it’s less than a month alway. Chances are they already bought the nest and chicken and paper goods already. Also if the couscous spilled at your last Simcha then technically she owes tot a free side dish.

I’m happy it worked out well for you and Mazel tov

She refunded the money for the couscous.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:57 am
I’ve had after placing an order that a dry ice fee was added, due to Covid. I totally understood. Why should they pick up the tab and lose out? People in the food business aren’t exactly rich. They make a living and also only if they’re successful and busy

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:01 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
I feel bad for her. Prices are fluctuating like crazy and the standard side is two not three. Two carbs is not standard and she’s giving it to you at the same price. I hope she ends up with profit

1. I can't recall a bar mitzvah I've attended that didn't have 2 carbs and a vegetable. It's pretty much always the same menu: a choice of chicken or schnitzel, and a side of rice, potatoes, and either string beans or mixed grilled vegetables. The other caterers we priced give the same.

2. She would not do the job if she wasn't making a profit. She is the opposite of a pushover. Several people in the community have told me that she told them she would only cater their event if they included fish as an appetizer so that she could charge more money. When they said they didn't want to, she told them to take their business elsewhere. We also had an experience in the past where we didn't agree on something and she suggested we find another caterer. She's not shy to say it's not worth it for her.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:29 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:

In israel we don't have that kind of fluctuation. And two carbs is standard here, even in very very simple chareidi events.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
1. I can't recall a bar mitzvah I've attended that didn't have 2 carbs and a vegetable. It's pretty much always the same menu: a choice of chicken or schnitzel, and a side of rice, potatoes, and either string beans or mixed grilled vegetables. The other caterers we priced give the same.

2. She would not do the job if she wasn't making a profit. She is the opposite of a pushover. Several people in the community have told me that she told them she would only cater their event if they included fish as an appetizer so that she could charge more money. When they said they didn't want to, she told them to take their business elsewhere. We also had an experience in the past where we didn't agree on something and she suggested we find another caterer. She's not shy to say it's not worth it for her.

You named the ultimate standard menu Smile
except that in chareidi circles it's the wedding menu Smile
Bar Mitzvahs in chareidi circles in israel many times have something called "shulchan matok" which isn't sweet at all (its a fancy name for dishes made without meat or fish)

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:46 pm
These are extraordinary times so while I used to firm up my prices by two months before, I do think this is fair and that likely other caterers are doing it too.

You can reserve the right to approve changes and remove menu items if need be.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:47 pm
Working with a caterer should be based on trust. If you don’t trust them, so t use them or get more references until you do trust them.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:48 pm
Ugh this happened to me years ago where a party planner told me her costs but neglected to mention that certain things were extra (tablecloths etc).
Apparently her price was set up only.
Ended up a few thousand more. She was a friend, but tbh it really soured the relationship.
I truly wish ppl would be honest & upfront about all the charges.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:15 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
Ugh this happened to me years ago where a party planner told me her costs but neglected to mention that certain things were extra (tablecloths etc).
Apparently her price was set up only.
Ended up a few thousand more. She was a friend, but tbh it really soured the relationship.
I truly wish ppl would be honest & upfront about all the charges.

That's why it's so important to ask ask ask and make sure you got it in writing what is included and excluded. With people who try to be sneaky I don't want to get involved with.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 3:59 pm
I think she’s just agreeeing to the 2 carbs and veg because her husband wants to keep shalom. Who even eats potatoes and rice together?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics