Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for the right place to move to
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:12 pm
working hard wrote:
Thank you for all your helpful replies.

We were warned against considering Lakewood because schools do not want a special ed child from out of Lakewood.
In addition, jobs in the special ed sector are harder to come by and pay a lot less than we need. Never mind a job for my husband!

My daughter really falls in between the regular ed and special ed school system. She cannot function in the regular classroom but does not belong in a special ed school either (according to her current providers). She really needs an inclusion classroom.

Most of the real OOT communities like Cincinnati or Phoenix are not going to work as they do not have what we need in schooling for my children.

We considered Passaic but were told that the special ed resources available in the Bais Yaakov were not sufficient and are very expensive.

The school in Cleveland told us "Are you sure you want to move here?" just when they heard family size. It does not seem like we will be welcomed there.

I would like to look more into Chicago and Baltimore. If anyone has any leads for me, please let me know.

Please don't take this personally. Not sure which school you are referring to but YDT is pretty full and the likelihood of there being openings for all of your children is very slim if not impossible. Additionally, homes here are small and mostly 3 bedrooms (4 if you're lucky). And it's pretty late in the year to start looking around for jobs in chinch; most rebbeim jobs are filled long before May.

This is a huge decision, especially with a large family and, presumably, some older children. I'd be wary of choosing a community and moving in haste. Can you stay where you are for another year and during that time really look into your options?

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:21 pm
Surprised Monsey (and its surrounding neighborhoods) hasn't been mentioned. Seemed like it would check off a lot of your boxes.

Plenty of yeshivish families your size in the newer-ish neighborhoods (chesnut ridge, suffern, haverstraw). Those areas do feel more suburban, but the infrastructure is there.

Bais Rochel has a special ed program that might work for you (obv this is a guess without knowing specifics)

Plenty of special ed jobs available. If your husband is willing to learn with bachurim, there are a shortage of yungeleit who do and the yeshivos are always looking...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating