Home

LOTS of questions for kitchen design/ renovation/ use...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 7:56 am
Lots of questions. All input appreciated.

1. Warming drawers. Please explain the functionality. Do you use them strictly for shabbos? What kinds of food are you able to leave in there? If I put schnitzel or roasted chicken in there Friday night before I lit, it would not be dried out by lunch on shabbos day? What about roasted veggies? Would they turn to mush after so many hours? Do you have any use for them during the week? I am trying to decide if I'd be better off with a fleishig oven and a fleishig warming drawer or 2 fleishig ovens.
2. Parve. I know people with large kitchens tend to make themselves parve sinks, ovens, etc. I've lived 25 years without. I don't own a single parve utensil -- not so much as a knife. Explain to me if/why having parve area in my kitchen will make life better.

3. 2nd fleishig dishwasher. I entertain a lot on shabbos and YT and we don't use disposables so things really pile up. 2 fleishig dishwashers would really make clean up more efficient. On the other hand it's once a week and I'm giving up valuable storage space. Yay or nay?

4. Stove top. I want gas stove tops so badly but there is no gas line where I live and we'd have to have gas tanks outside the house. My husband is against this. Currently I have a glass top. It's okay to cook on but you can't put a blech on it. Coils are passè. Does any other option exist? Also, what is induction and how is that different from the glass top I have now?

5. Walk in pantry. Don't have one now and the larger space I'm moving my kitchen to doesn't really lend itself to making one. I'd lose the nice open flow. Is it worth giving up counter space and the open feel for? I've always wanted one. But a section of reach in cabinets may make more sense.

6. Breaking up space between fleishigs and milchigs. The way I have things set up in my current kitchen, each has it's own side of the kitchen. In the new space I will have one very long counter (about 20') and an island in front of it (somewhere between 3'x10' and 4'x12' - still being determined). I wonder if it's best to make the counter either meat or dairy and then the island the other. Or have some space on bother the counter and the island for each - splitting left and right. But if I do it that way how do I delineate what counter space belongs to what? I don't want hot things put on the wrong spots. Is there a way to delineate without it looking odd?

7. Upper cabinets. I'm short. I can only reach the first shelf of my upper cabinets. I constantly need a ladder. Not a step stool, but an actual ladder to reach most things. This is so unpleasant. They say you should put the things you don't use very often up on top -- but I use everything! If I have enough storage in lower cabinets and drawers in the new kitchen space, can I forgo uppers all together? Or just have mini cabinets that don't go up so high? What else could I do with the space? Will it look weird?

8. Shlepping out appliances. Appliance garages don't seem to be a thing anymore. But I am so sick of lugging out my mixer, my food processor, my instant pot, etc., etc. And I hate counter clutter. So what are my options/ solutions?

9. What's "in" now? In terms of color, material, features I should know about. I don't want anything too trendy. I don't expect another kitchen remodel in the next many decades.

10. What did I miss? Any other advice for me?

THANK YOU!!
Back to top

amother




Cerulean
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lots of questions. All input appreciated.

1. Warming drawers. Please explain the functionality. Do you use them strictly for shabbos? What kinds of food are you able to leave in there? If I put schnitzel or roasted chicken in there Friday night before I lit, it would not be dried out by lunch on shabbos day? What about roasted veggies? Would they turn to mush after so many hours? Do you have any use for them during the week? I am trying to decide if I'd be better off with a fleishig oven and a fleishig warming drawer or 2 fleishig ovens.
2. Parve. I know people with large kitchens tend to make themselves parve sinks, ovens, etc. I've lived 25 years without. I don't own a single parve utensil -- not so much as a knife. Explain to me if/why having parve area in my kitchen will make life better.

3. 2nd fleishig dishwasher. I entertain a lot on shabbos and YT and we don't use disposables so things really pile up. 2 fleishig dishwashers would really make clean up more efficient. On the other hand it's once a week and I'm giving up valuable storage space. Yay or nay?

4. Stove top. I want gas stove tops so badly but there is no gas line where I live and we'd have to have gas tanks outside the house. My husband is against this. Currently I have a glass top. It's okay to cook on but you can't put a blech on it. Coils are passè. Does any other option exist? Also, what is induction and how is that different from the glass top I have now?

5. Walk in pantry. Don't have one now and the larger space I'm moving my kitchen to doesn't really lend itself to making one. I'd lose the nice open flow. Is it worth giving up counter space and the open feel for? I've always wanted one. But a section of reach in cabinets may make more sense.

6. Breaking up space between fleishigs and milchigs. The way I have things set up in my current kitchen, each has it's own side of the kitchen. In the new space I will have one very long counter (about 20') and an island in front of it (somewhere between 3'x10' and 4'x12' - still being determined). I wonder if it's best to make the counter either meat or dairy and then the island the other. Or have some space on bother the counter and the island for each - splitting left and right. But if I do it that way how do I delineate what counter space belongs to what? I don't want hot things put on the wrong spots. Is there a way to delineate without it looking odd?

7. Upper cabinets. I'm short. I can only reach the first shelf of my upper cabinets. I constantly need a ladder. Not a step stool, but an actual ladder to reach most things. This is so unpleasant. They say you should put the things you don't use very often up on top -- but I use everything! If I have enough storage in lower cabinets and drawers in the new kitchen space, can I forgo uppers all together? Or just have mini cabinets that don't go up so high? What else could I do with the space? Will it look weird?

8. Shlepping out appliances. Appliance garages don't seem to be a thing anymore. But I am so sick of lugging out my mixer, my food processor, my instant pot, etc., etc. And I hate counter clutter. So what are my options/ solutions?

9. What's "in" now? In terms of color, material, features I should know about. I don't want anything too trendy. I don't expect another kitchen remodel in the next many decades.

10. What did I miss? Any other advice for me?

THANK YOU!!



1. I have one and mostly use for shabbos but honestly dont know halachos what you can and cant do. I never left anything in there overnight. I

2. I dont have parve anything. We are a mostly meat family so I dont have a need for it

3.really depends on how much space you have but I would personally just hire shabbos help

4.dont have advice. I have gas

5. You dont need a walk in especially if would ruin flow of kitchen. They are great of you have the space but reg cabinets and closets work great.

6. Prob best to do one on island and one on long counter. I personally like one counter for milk island with nothing on it (like sink,burner) and another counter for meat

7. You could have your upper
Cabinets start lower. I wouldnt skip uppers because its good storage space

8.they have a thing that goes in bottom cabinet that appliances can go on and it lifts up. Very $$$

9. Do what you like. Not whats in. My kitchen is white cabinets. Grey island cabinets. White counters that have grey veining. Quartz material.
Back to top

Rubber Ducky




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:22 am
Alright, quickly:
Lots of questions. All input appreciated.

1. Warming drawers. Please explain the functionality. Do you use them strictly for shabbos? What kinds of food are you able to leave in there? If I put schnitzel or roasted chicken in there Friday night before I lit, it would not be dried out by lunch on shabbos day? What about roasted veggies? Would they turn to mush after so many hours? Do you have any use for them during the week? I am trying to decide if I'd be better off with a fleishig oven and a fleishig warming drawer or 2 fleishig ovens.
Depends how you cook. I'd go for the second oven.

2. Parve. I know people with large kitchens tend to make themselves parve sinks, ovens, etc. I've lived 25 years without. I don't own a single parve utensil -- not so much as a knife. Explain to me if/why having parve area in my kitchen will make life better.
Pareve will not make your like better because your normal workflow does not include pareve. More likely you will end up with lots of kashrus shailos. Do not do pareve.


3. 2nd fleishig dishwasher. I entertain a lot on shabbos and YT and we don't use disposables so things really pile up. 2 fleishig dishwashers would really make clean up more efficient. On the other hand it's once a week and I'm giving up valuable storage space. Yay or nay?
Only if you have more storage space than you need.


4. Stove top. I want gas stove tops so badly but there is no gas line where I live and we'd have to have gas tanks outside the house. My husband is against this. Currently I have a glass top. It's okay to cook on but you can't put a blech on it. Coils are passè. Does any other option exist? Also, what is induction and how is that different from the glass top I have now?
Induction is not usable on Yom Tov and requires specialized cookware. Despite being passe, coils are an excellent electric option.


5. Walk in pantry. Don't have one now and the larger space I'm moving my kitchen to doesn't really lend itself to making one. I'd lose the nice open flow. Is it worth giving up counter space and the open feel for? I've always wanted one. But a section of reach in cabinets may make more sense.
No on the walk-in pantry if you lose the flow.

6. Breaking up space between fleishigs and milchigs. The way I have things set up in my current kitchen, each has it's own side of the kitchen. In the new space I will have one very long counter (about 20') and an island in front of it (somewhere between 3'x10' and 4'x12' - still being determined). I wonder if it's best to make the counter either meat or dairy and then the island the other. Or have some space on bother the counter and the island for each - splitting left and right. But if I do it that way how do I delineate what counter space belongs to what? I don't want hot things put on the wrong spots. Is there a way to delineate without it looking odd?
Refrigerators and cooktops both make good dividers. Also, about the island, a 10-foot or greater span may require more than one slab (meaning you will have a seam) unless there is a level change or a material change within the island.

7. Upper cabinets. I'm short. I can only reach the first shelf of my upper cabinets. I constantly need a ladder. Not a step stool, but an actual ladder to reach most things. This is so unpleasant. They say you should put the things you don't use very often up on top -- but I use everything! If I have enough storage in lower cabinets and drawers in the new kitchen space, can I forgo uppers all together? Or just have mini cabinets that don't go up so high? What else could I do with the space? Will it look weird?
Windows are good. So are floating shelves.

8. Shlepping out appliances. Appliance garages don't seem to be a thing anymore. But I am so sick of lugging out my mixer, my food processor, my instant pot, etc., etc. And I hate counter clutter. So what are my options/ solutions?
Cabinets to the counter with pocket doors. Wide lift-top cabinets between upper cabinets and the counter.

9. What's "in" now? In terms of color, material, features I should know about. I don't want anything too trendy. I don't expect another kitchen remodel in the next many decades.
Light wood tones are coming in. Smart appliances (the old stupid appliances were better). Two-tone kitchens. Dark blue islands. Engineered quartz.

10. What did I miss? Any other advice for me?
I hope you are working with a good kitchen designer. Think about how you cook, your workflow, the relationship between the kitchen and adjacent rooms. Hatzlacha!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 1:53 pm
Thank you. Very helpful.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 1:54 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:


8. Shlepping out appliances. Appliance garages don't seem to be a thing anymore. But I am so sick of lugging out my mixer, my food processor, my instant pot, etc., etc. And I hate counter clutter. So what are my options/ solutions?
[color=indigo]Cabinets to the counter with pocket doors. Wide lift-top cabinets between upper cabinets and the counter.
[/I][/color]


Could you please post a link or photo of what this looks like?
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:00 pm
Why don’t u use the upper cabinets for pesach storage, and as a stock pantry?
Back to top

agreer




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Could you please post a link or photo of what this looks like?


https://www.google.com/search?.....MCjUM

I had to google it because I didn't understand the words, but Oh, so nice!!! Do it!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:21 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Why don’t u use the upper cabinets for pesach storage, and as a stock pantry?


B"H I have a Pesach kitchen so no need to store any of that in regular kitchen. I guess it could work for storing things I like to buy a lot of and store - but I'd have to be a lot more organized with an inventory on the inside of the door or something because if it's out of sight I'll for sure forget, buy new anyhow, and eventually throw everything out when it expires. Just happened to me with 6 canisters of protein powder. I'm sick over it.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 2:30 pm
agreer wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cabinets+to+the+counter+with+pocket+doors.&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS971US971&sxsrf=ALiCzsbCh_Hl9swpBmVSN8DRs8skyjxkQw:1653512711247&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=ji5PgwDxY0SjGM%252CTv5kWDthn8OPBM%252C_%253Bbm1kWliDfeYuUM%252CLitP8nBjMFcg7M%252C_%253BjYxD7RXd_0ol9M%252CFckpbh2enP-8xM%252C_%253BPJ38IR31lQBJSM%252C9cootYGcYBs9-M%252C_%253B2aYoVlyvWFn0BM%252CFckpbh2enP-8xM%252C_%253BGA0XedSqAITaWM%252C8g2Mzz4JBqZHbM%252C_%253B41Rty4UobERm8M%252CLbYhp2xReUUYBM%252C_%253BfSrOM13mlH97gM%252CQSoOWlZ7qiOyKM%252C_%253B7_auyTuu2MCjUM%252CYMwFnalrYcus8M%252C_%253BxGgaqUGOD7-R8M%252CnkHy9CcgOgpwnM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRYx-XI5WnvEWWBbSTEr-qWJwbBTw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_xKPuxvv3AhXLoY4IHbcfCBQQ9QF6BAgJEAE#imgrc=7_auyTuu2MCjUM

I had to google it because I didn't understand the words, but Oh, so nice!!! Do it!


Some really good ideas there. Thank you!
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 3:41 pm
I have my heavy appliances stored in a cabinet with a side door. I just slide them out to the side ti use them. The counter runs through instead of a shelf
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 3:48 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Why don’t u use the upper cabinets for pesach storage, and as a stock pantry?

This. I was coming to post this.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Carlos for painting kitchen cabinets (Brooklyn)?
by amother
1 Wed, Jun 29 2022, 10:03 am View last post
ISO painter to do "Shmatta" design in hall w stairs in Bklyn
by amother
8 Tue, Jun 28 2022, 4:51 pm View last post
Decorators: Giving White Wood Kitchen an elegant very modern
by amother
4 Tue, Jun 28 2022, 11:30 am View last post
Who paints wood kitchen cabinets (Brooklyn)?
by amother
5 Mon, Jun 27 2022, 5:46 pm View last post
Reasons youre happy you didnt get a cheap kitchen?
by amother
42 Sat, Jun 25 2022, 9:32 pm View last post