Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do I need to tell
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:15 am
Depends whether your community is concerned about Covid, or if you just need to test for your job. Where I live people wouldn’t expect to be told.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:16 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
The same argument can be made the other way. What reason is there to tell? These days (thankfully) Covid amounts to a cold. Would you tell people you ate by that you woke up with a cold the next day?

And if someone in the host family isn't feeling great, how would they benefit knowing the source? What difference would it make? They can either get tested and quarantine for a few weeks or just go about their business as if they have a cold.

Yes, I would tell them if I woke up not feeling well the next day. I know someone else mentioned about knowing where it came from, but for me it’s not even about that. It’s just about giving other people the right to decide how they want to proceed.
Maybe it will mean postponing a visit to someone for a few days until they get test results. Maybe it will mean taking more precautions at work because of where they work or their coworkers. Who knows. But at least give them the chance to make that decision on their own.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:17 am
amother [ Camellia ] wrote:
My relative tested postive didn't tell anyone. My mother who relative was with, got sick so went to the Dr for a culture didn't think of at covid test. If she would of know she was exposed she would of tested. Held a newborn and went on to expose more people till she tested postive herself. Knowledge is power.
But if she felt sick why would she hold a newborn? She could have had the common cold, which is dangerous for newborns.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:18 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
You DID ask op......

That's exactly why I asked..I wanted to know... Thanks everyone. Sending texts to the people we ate at...

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:19 am
Covid may be "just a cold" for many but not for all. Your hosts may have an elderly grandmother or an immunosuppressive cousin or a friend on chemo. Do not make the decision in their behalfs that they don't need to know. Please

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just tested positive for covid. We were out for a few meals over chag. Do I need to let those people know or are we past that?
I feel so bad( emotionally- BH I only have cold like symptoms . Had to test for school , in an alternate world it would just be a cold) I had a little sniffle yesterday and still went out to eat. I don't want to make anyone nervous though. Do I tell them?

I think you should tell only so that if others start to feel sick they may get appropriate treatment earlier.
Most people are not going to be alarmed. Those who are are going to be grateful you were honest I think.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:30 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Its called being menchlich.

Would you tell peopl you ate at that you have a cold the next morning?

Would not telling them be considered unmentchlach?

This comes down to community standards at this point. Many people have simply moved on. Covid doesn't exist anymore. For those that would pack into a crowded shul, wedding or any other venue, then there is no need to tell. Such people have moved on from Covid.

Aylat

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:57 am
I would tell so they can make informed decisions about visiting elderly or immuno-compromised friends and relatives.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:01 am
No one knows someone else's life. It's possible the people you visited volunteer with immunocompromised people or have family members that have health issues you don't know about. Even if your community is lax about covid, you have a responsibility to let them know. It's up to them to do whatever they need to with the information.

As a person with immunocompromised family members, I expect my guests to let me know if they have colds, strep or other illnesses. At times, depending on the situation, I need to do various treatments for my family members even if they've been exposed to just a cold.

So, yes, even if you have a mild case of covid, you need to let your hosts know. Its only mentschlich

fleetwood

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:49 am

This comes down to community standards at this point. Many people have simply moved on. Covid doesn't exist anymore. For those that would pack into a crowded shul, wedding or any other venue, then there is no need to tell. Such people have moved on from Covid.

I absolutely tell if I feel sick the next day. I did this way before covid. Btw..take your head out of the sand..covid isn't gone.

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:55 am
People in my area (far rockaway) only test now if legally required. The schools actually don't want you to test because they are worried the entire school will be shut down. I might have had covid over pesach but didn't test. Its a cold at this point.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 9:01 am
fleetwood wrote:
I absolutely tell if I feel sick the next day. I did this way before covid. Btw..take your head out of the sand..covid isn't gone.

Yes and no. Covid isn’t gone, but it also likely never will be. It is now similar to the flu. (I don’t mean symptoms, I mean in how we deal with it.) For most of the population, it doesn’t pose a serious threat. Of course you should tell people when you aren’t feeling well, that’s common courtesy. But it’s not covid specific, and it’s not any more important to do with covid than with anything else.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 9:02 am
If you’re supere embarrassed don’t mention symptoms , just text “ fyI tested for work and am covid positive.”

fleetwood

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 10:01 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Yes and no. Covid isn’t gone, but it also likely never will be. It is now similar to the flu. (I don’t mean symptoms, I mean in how we deal with it.) For most of the population, it doesn’t pose a serious threat. Of course you should tell people when you aren’t feeling well, that’s common courtesy. But it’s not covid specific, and it’s not any more important to do with covid than with anything else.

Right. I tell if it's strep or stomach bug..or just a fever. I also would tell if it's covid.

sm40112

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 10:03 am
doodlesmom wrote:
If you’re supere embarrassed don’t mention symptoms , just text “ fyI tested for work and am covid positive.”

This is a good idea, though I wouldn't say why I took the test.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:51 pm

If people in your community consider it no big deal, then what's the harm in telling them? No one will be upset at you, they'll just laugh at it away, right?. If that's so, what have you got to lose by telling them? They'll either laugh it away or thank you for informing them.

You'll come out ahead either way. You displayed mentschlich behavior and put the decision about their health in their own hands (where it rightfully belongs), and if someone does need to take it seriously, they now are able to.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:26 pm
You're a contact; of course you have to tell them. What sort of mensch would withhold such information? If they are or have close contacts (no, you DON"T know who all their contacts are even if "they" is your identical twin sister) who are unvaxed or are immune compromised, you could be an unwitting cause of someone's hospitalization or death ch"V. I can't believe you're even asking the question.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:47 pm
years ago we went to SIL for pesach and she had stomache virus erev pesach and didn't tell us, we all ended up sick it was not nice I would have stayed home.

my friends and I always tell each other not to come over if once of us are sick especially bec. dd catches every bug under the sun. It's super important to share this type of info.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 6:39 pm
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
years ago we went to SIL for pesach and she had stomache virus erev pesach and didn't tell us, we all ended up sick it was not nice I would have stayed home.

my friends and I always tell each other not to come over if once of us are sick especially bec. dd catches every bug under the sun. It's super important to share this type of info.

That's very different because your sil knew before and didn't tell.

OP, I would tell them, the same way I would tell if it was strep.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 9:10 pm
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
At this point in time? No.

Disgusting. What if someone exposed to her is high risk or immuno compromised? I know people like that.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics