Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do makeup artists on Instagram use filters?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 2:52 pm
Or are the photos true to life..?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 2:56 pm
Almost all of them use face smoothing filters. A small minority of them even add "makeup" with apps that allow them to add false lashes, lip color, blush, etc. An even smaller minority don't use any filters at all, and those are so refreshing.

It's crazy.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 2:57 pm
Many use heavy duty editing like photoshop. Pretty much none is real. I’m a photographer and make up never looks that way straight out of camera.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 3:00 pm
At my wedding, we used a makeup artist that had tens of thousands of followers and gorgeous faces on her page. She did an awful job, I hate looking at my wedding pictures. I’ve never looked so bad before or after - I would have done a better job on my own. Her excuse was that there was bad lighting in the hall. I don’t think that’s a valid excuse - lots of halls don’t have the best lighting and she should have been able to deal with it, or told us she’d do a horrible job in this lighting and made us do the makeup outside instead or something.

Go based off word of mouth, trust me. Instagram is fake.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 3:10 pm
I used a make-up artist off Instagram. She did such an awful job. But on her Instagram page, I looked stunning. I called her up after the wedding that she fooled me and I won't recommend her to anyone and she should remove my picture from her account because that's not how I looked. She removed my picture and blocked me from following her! I was so disgusted. Unbelievable how dishonest people can be.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 3:24 pm
The ones I know of use light rings which are very flattering but the photographer also uses that. I can see pores in their Instagram photos.

pinkpeonies

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I used a make-up artist off Instagram. She did such an awful job. But on her Instagram page, I looked stunning. I called her up after the wedding that she fooled me and I won't recommend her to anyone and she should remove my picture from her account because that's not how I looked. She removed my picture and blocked me from following her! I was so disgusted. Unbelievable how dishonest people can be.

No most do not edit. What they do use is a ringlight which gives smooth and even lighting to your face. What you did was terrible, honestly. I’m in a different line of work, but if a client that I worked super hard on called me up the way you did I would be shaking and crying for days. I would seriously reconsider my line of business (and for the record I am top in my field)
Before you ever do something like that, remember there is a REAL person there who is just trying her best.
The hall does not have the same lighting as a ringlight. It doesn’t mean that you looked so much worse in real life. That’s just what good lighting does and it’s not fooling anyone to say that
I honestly can’t get over how you spoke to a woman who puts her heart, soul, and talents into running a business

pinkpeonies

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 3:55 pm
I want to add to what I said above, and say that you will absolutely need to ask mechila before Yom Kippur. You can not imagine the hurt that you caused if you do not have a business that requires creativity and art. It puts you in a very vulnerable place

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:07 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:
No most do not edit. What they do use is a ringlight which gives smooth and even lighting to your face. What you did was terrible, honestly. I’m in a different line of work, but if a client that I worked super hard on called me up the way you did I would be shaking and crying for days. I would seriously reconsider my line of business (and for the record I am top in my field)
Before you ever do something like that, remember there is a REAL person there who is just trying her best.
The hall does not have the same lighting as a ringlight. It doesn’t mean that you looked so much worse in real life. That’s just what good lighting does and it’s not fooling anyone to say that
I honestly can’t get over how you spoke to a woman who puts her heart, soul, and talents into running a business

No, I dont think youre quite aware...im sure some only use a ringlight but believe me there are many who simply use a photo editting app. The look is not comparable

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:09 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:
I want to add to what I said above, and say that you will absolutely need to ask mechila before Yom Kippur. You can not imagine the hurt that you caused if you do not have a business that requires creativity and art. It puts you in a very vulnerable place

You’re making lots of assumptions here and they’re all benefiting the makeup artist. How do you know that the makeup artist didn’t edit or filter the picture, and the bride just looked better in it because of a ring light? How do you know that the makeup artist put her heart and soul into doing the makeup? And what makes you think that giving honest feedback isn’t halachically permitted? The kallah didn’t publicly shame the makeup artist.

A bride is supposed to feel the most beautiful on her wedding day. It’s truly heartbreaking to feel ugly at your own wedding. Makeup artists have an achrayus to post unfiltered pictures so that people can see if they want the type of makeup look that the artist does. They also need to actually be good at their jobs and put great effort in - their job is very important and they get paid a lot accordingly.

If the makeup artist repeatedly get this type of feedback, she will reconsider her career choice - and that’s a good thing if she is actually not good at doing makeup.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:10 pm
I work for makeup artist. She uses very very light filtering.
But mainly jst mastered the art of taking photos in good lighting.
Would recommend her to everyone.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:10 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:

She did not use a ringlight. She 100% used filters. I looked terrible on the photographers pictures as well. In her words "everyone knows that we all use filters." On her Instagram page, I did not have any acne and my skin looks nice n dark. In real life and on the photographer pictures, I looked washed out and pale with very visible acne. Using ANYTHING at all when posting pictures on Instagram, even a ringlight, is dishonest and deceiving. Anything other the a picture of how the person really looks is dishonest.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:11 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
Many use heavy duty editing like photoshop. Pretty much none is real. I’m a photographer and make up never looks that way straight out of camera.

Phone cameras automatically smooth skin in a way that professional cameras don’t.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:12 pm
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
I work for makeup artist. She uses very very light filtering.
But mainly jst mastered the art of taking photos in good lighting.
Would recommend her to everyone.

Any filtering at all is dishonest. No matter how light the filtering is. If they're embarrassed to advertise their real unfiltered work, they should practice on becoming better.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:12 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:
How could you possibly know what an anonymous MUA did? It could be she did use photoshop. You literally have no idea. Most people can tell the difference between lighting and photoshop manipulation.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:15 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:

I need to ask her mechila because SHE was dishonest? Seriously? I didn't do anything wrong. I spoke to her very kindly. She just got over obnoxious and proceeded to block me. (Which is common obnoxious behavior of many Instagramers.)
There's nothing wrong with telling a make-up artist that you weren't happy with her work and ask her to remove your picture.

Ima_Shelli

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:04 pm
I've used a couple of makeup artists who have IG pages. there have been times when they took my pic to use for their IG account- I've always said yes and they've NEVER used my pic! I guess I wasn't deemed beautiful enough. but all those times I actually felt gorgeous and got lots of compliments on my makeup and looked amazing in the actual simcha pics, and was super happy and would recommend them again. so you never know.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:05 pm
If a makeup artist needs to put a filter on their work, they should find another profession.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:10 pm
I’ve used a few makeup artists and most aren’t good. They’re too heavy. I have been lucky enough to have had access to some top Hollywood makeup artists and it’s not comparable. Less is more, and they just use different techniques.

There is one makeup artist who is one of the most expensive of the Jewish ones and she quite good. I looked beautiful everywhere I went.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:30 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:

I'm sorry you're hurt, but as a professional you need to be able to make the person look good in the light they are in and not just a ringlight.
Otherwise, as a professional it is incumbent on you to disclose that your talents are best for portraits and not real life lighting, like simchas!

Think how the kallah, and many like her, feel looking terrible on their special day!
And usually they have spent $$$$$ to boot.

I would be furious at the makeup artist. I think it is false advertising to advertise yourself as a professional simcha makeup artist when you dint know how to apply makeup properly for the lighting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics