Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Platform bed

jflower

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:17 am
I live in Brooklyn and am thinking of getting new 48 in platform beds for my master bedroom. Has anyone made a switch from a box spring / mattress combo to a platform bed? Do you recommend it? Any issues I should know about before I buy?

I'm also interested in buying new headboards. Any store recommendations in Brooklyn? TIA

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:01 am
jflower wrote:
I live in Brooklyn and am thinking of getting new 48 in platform beds for my master bedroom. Has anyone made a switch from a box spring / mattress combo to a platform bed? Do you recommend it? Any issues I should know about before I buy?

I'm also interested in buying new headboards. Any store recommendations in Brooklyn? TIA

I had the standard box spring mattress until relatively recently.

I got an adjustable bed frame which is by definition a platform style setup.

I love my new bed - everything about it but my new mattress is so much better than any mattress I had before AND the adjustable bed is absolute heaven. I feel like I am lying on a supportive cloud. LOL

The box springs really don't add to the comfort of a good mattress.

My advice is to concentrate on getting a mattress that is comfortable. Take your time so that you can lie down on the mattresses for a bit to really get a sense of how they feel. I spent several days visiting various mattress stores and testing them.

If you are in Los Angeles, I have a specific recommendation for a fantastic mattress store.

jflower

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:08 am
Amarante, thanks so much for your response and for your offer of suggesting a mattress store in LA! Hopefully I'll find what I need here in New York.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:13 am
jflower wrote:
Amarante, thanks so much for your response and for your offer of suggesting a mattress store in LA! Hopefully I'll find what I need here in New York.

I saw that you lived in Brooklyn but in the event anyone in LA is also mattress shopping I would recommend my mattress store. Owned by a wonderful frum man who has an uncanny ability to match a mattress to your needs. I had gone to all the big names and luckily stumbled on him when I was googling Smile

I tried all the big name widely advertised brands and wasn't super impressed.

I tested standard coil mattresses; memory foam like Temperpedic and also latex. I wound up with a combination of latex and high density foam which doesn't feel like memory foam which I did not like. The latex is the "comfort" level which is the part that you experience as it is the top layer.

ocean blue

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:37 pm
We switched from boxsprings to platform beds about a year ago and couldnt be happier. The beds are lower so I could comfortably sit on my bed with my feet on the ground (although it was hard finding a bed that was not too low). My toddler can also easily get off the bed. No more creaking noises. It looks much nicer and the beds came with headboards. I think that it is also more comfortable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars