Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How often do you wash and replace the mat under the dishrack
1  2  Next

How often do you wash and replace mat under your dishrack on counters?
every day  
 9%  [ 3 ]
3 times a week  
 6%  [ 2 ]
2 times a week  
 21%  [ 7 ]
once a week  
 30%  [ 10 ]
less than once a week  
 33%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 33

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 12:44 pm
on your counters?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 12:58 pm
I don't have a dish rack.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 1:00 pm
When they are dirty

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 11 2022, 10:42 pm
Always LOL wrote:
When they are dirty
Does that happen every day or once a week?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 12:08 am
I wish I did it more, but realistically, a few times a year Confused Hiding . I have one that can go in the washing machine--I just tend to forget.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 12:10 am
I have a plastic mat.
9 years old.
I think my grandmothers is 40 years old.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:11 am
I replace my plastic dish rack before Pesach. I wipe it down when it looks dirty- it isn't a set amount of time.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 9:54 am
I use a plastic tray, not a mat, and rinse it or wipe it down with the dish sponge any time it looks less than spotless. Never noticed how often, maybe every day or two, max. It's automatic, just a part of doing dishes like squeezing the sponge dry or wiping off the sink surround. Nbd, takes a few seconds max. The previous tray was dark and didn't show spots, so it got cleaned only once in a blue moon. That required scouring with baking soda and what came off was nauseating. Idk how much is environmental dirt vs. food residue vs. mineral deposit from water vs. bacterial and fungal "bloom" from being constantly damp, but healthy it ain't and ugly it is.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:08 pm
zaq wrote:
I use a plastic tray, not a mat, and rinse it or wipe it down with the dish sponge any time it looks less than spotless. Never noticed how often, maybe every day or two, max. It's automatic, just a part of doing dishes like squeezing the sponge dry or wiping off the sink surround. Nbd, takes a few seconds max. The previous tray was dark and didn't show spots, so it got cleaned only once in a blue moon. That required scouring with baking soda and what came off was nauseating. Idk how much is environmental dirt vs. food residue vs. mineral deposit from water vs. bacterial and fungal "bloom" from being constantly damp, but healthy it ain't and ugly it is.
But under the plastic rack, don't you have a dishmat made of cloth? Because the water drains on the counter if you don't.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But under the plastic rack, don't you have a dishmat made of cloth? Because the water drains on the counter if you don't.

I think they meant this.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does that happen every day or once a week?

It depends.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The rack is vinyl coated wire and sits on a plastic tray to catch drips. Tray has a curved edge at one end to funnel water into the sink. I tip the tray towards the sink to drain off the big water after washing a meal's worth of dishes.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:02 pm
Always LOL wrote:
I think they meant this.
. Precisely.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:58 pm
The difference is that the tray shown in the illustration has four raised sides like a sheet baking pan, which would just collect water and could overflow all over the counter if you really did a lot of dishes at once. My tray has a ramp-like beveled lip like the graded corner of a sidewalk or edge of a driveway. The purpose of this lip is to overhang the edge of the sink so excess water is channeled into the sink. Even so, water collects, so when I see there's a lot of water, I pick up the far end and tilt the whole gesheft towards the sink so the excess water drains into it. Again, this takes about two seconds and is an automatic response, no different from shutting off a faucet if you notice that someone left it running.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 8:01 pm
Actually, I meant this:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 10:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Actually, I meant this:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds

I know. I wouldn't dream of using such a thing. It stays wet, making a wonderful growth medium for bacteria and fungi, and has to be laundered. The plastic tray can be rinsed off or wiped dry, either of which takes seconds and can be done daily or more often if desired.

happytobemom

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 10:13 pm
I don't own a dish rack or a mat. I place my dishes to dry on a towel spread onto the counter. When I put the dishes away, I hang the towel over the oven door handle.
Someone once gave me one of those mats. I didn't understand the purpose!
As for a dish rack, that I understand, but for me it's just more clutter on the counter. I'd rather spread out a towel, wash the dishes, and when they're away, the towel goes away also and the counter's clear.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 10:31 pm
happytobemom wrote:
I don't own a dish rack or a mat. I place my dishes to dry on a towel spread onto the counter. When I put the dishes away, I hang the towel over the oven door handle.
Someone once gave me one of those mats. I didn't understand the purpose!
As for a dish rack, that I understand, but for me it's just more clutter on the counter. I'd rather spread out a towel, wash the dishes, and when they're away, the towel goes away also and the counter's clear.

How many people are you washing dishes for? I'm betting not a family of six or more, together with pots and pans, unless you have a huge counter and the towel you use is a bath sheet, or somebody's drying the dishes as you wash them.

happytobemom

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 10:36 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
How many people are you washing dishes for? I'm betting not a family of six or more, together with pots and pans, unless you have a huge counter and the towel you use is a bath sheet, or somebody's drying the dishes as you wash them.

More than 6 ba"h. Just a regular dish towel! Sometimes two if I leave the dishes too long and there's a lot... And we almost never dry dishes! Just air dry! I lean everything up against the wall and then onto each other, leaning in a way that they can dry. Does that make sense? (It makes sense when I do it, just hard to describe!)

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 12:25 am
zaq wrote:
I know. I wouldn't dream of using such a thing. It stays wet, making a wonderful growth medium for bacteria and fungi, and has to be laundered. The plastic tray can be rinsed off or wiped dry, either of which takes seconds and can be done daily or more often if desired.

I disagree. The plastic ones are disgusting as you pointed out and they're never dry. These mats dry very quickly. And you know they actually get cleaned bc they can be laundered.

Op I have this mat and I throw it into the wash at least once a week.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen