Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Matt Walsh "What is a Woman"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:52 pm
miami85 wrote:
If you read any of the popular relationship books- Mars and Venus, Waffles and Spaghetti, Surrendered Wife, Love languages to SOME degree but the ones that speak to the different genders. You see how to make a good marriage work you have to understand how the male nature is and how the female nature is *in general*.

These are things that modern society wants to negate. They want to say that there is no one set of criteria that defines one gender over another. But reality is that in general most WOMEN are better at dealing with 10 things at one time, and men are much better an delving into 1 thing for a long time to the exclusion of everything else. It's not "Better" or "worse" unless you want to feel superior.

There are those who keep arguing that "The United States needs better maternity leave"--while it's true, other than social security--which is mainly for people who HAVE worked, or those so disabled that it's impossible for them to work and it's not legal/ethical to let them die, no one gets paid to just "Be". We all have to work to get money. Yes women need to care for their babies and their own health, but that's why up until the 1950s-60s women DIDN'T work. If you had a husband with a decent job you COULD stay home and cook and clean and take care of your children. If you are working then you need to pay someone to clean and care for your children. I stopped caring that my house was always a mess when I realize that for many this is a full-time job, just like I have a full-time job in a different industry. So I can either clean/take care of house full-time, or I can do my job and pay someone. But my job--while a good paying one for where I live, is not enough to pay each person to do their job at $15/hr.

I hate all of those books. None of them speak to (or for) me. And B”H I have a great marriage!

1950s-60s style marriage would not work for me at all. And contrary to popular belief - not ALL women are cut out to stay home and be chefs, housekeepers, and nannies. Women have different interests and aptitudes - just as men do. This may not be a popular opinion around here I thank Hashem regularly that other opportunities have opened up for women these days.

miami85

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:54 pm
miami85 wrote:
If you read any of the popular relationship books- Mars and Venus, Waffles and Spaghetti, Surrendered Wife, Love languages to SOME degree but the ones that speak to the different genders. You see how to make a good marriage work you have to understand how the male nature is and how the female nature is *in general*.

These are things that modern society wants to negate. They want to say that there is no one set of criteria that defines one gender over another. But reality is that in general most WOMEN are better at dealing with 10 things at one time, and men are much better an delving into 1 thing for a long time to the exclusion of everything else. It's not "Better" or "worse" unless you want to feel superior.

There are those who keep arguing that "The United States needs better maternity leave"--while it's true, other than social security--which is mainly for people who HAVE worked, or those so disabled that it's impossible for them to work and it's not legal/ethical to let them die, no one gets paid to just "Be". We all have to work to get money. Yes women need to care for their babies and their own health, but that's why up until the 1950s-60s women DIDN'T work. If you had a husband with a decent job you COULD stay home and cook and clean and take care of your children. If you are working then you need to pay someone to clean and care for your children. I stopped caring that my house was always a mess when I realize that for many this is a full-time job, just like I have a full-time job in a different industry. So I can either clean/take care of house full-time, or I can do my job and pay someone. But my job--while a good paying one for where I live, is not enough to pay each person to do their job at $15/hr.

To finish my point, to understand "What a woman is" is to understand that *In General* women are the better ones at caring for the house and men are much better suited for a "task oriented job". True in each union, marriage, partnership, you find that one is better at something than the other. My husband can cook and clean and sometimes he's better at it than me, but our styles of cooking and cleaning are very different.

It's not called being "misogynistic" to say that the female hormones work better at XYZ, it's understanding how male and female are different.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:55 pm
miami85 wrote:
To finish my point, to understand "What a woman is" is to understand that *In General* women are the better ones at caring for the house and men are much better suited for a "task oriented job". True in each union, marriage, partnership, you find that one is better at something than the other. My husband can cook and clean and sometimes he's better at it than me, but our styles of cooking and cleaning are very different.

It's not called being "misogynistic" to say that the female hormones work better at XYZ, it's understanding how male and female are different.

See my comment above. This is not true for me (and for others that I know).

miami85

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:00 pm
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
I hate all of those books. None of them speak to (or for) me. And B”H I have a great marriage!

1950s-60s style marriage would not work for me at all. And contrary to popular belief - not ALL women are cut out to stay home and be chefs, housekeepers, and nannies. Women have different interests and aptitudes - just as men do. This may not be a popular opinion around here I thank Hashem regularly that other opportunities have opened up for women these days.

True, but at the same time that's why we haven't come up with a better "maternity leave" situation, there are some women that are just not replaceable at their jobs for 2-3 months at a time and can continue to receive the same salary as while working.

Of course within any stereotype there will be exceptions to the rule, but to negate that a "woman" can't have definite characteristics like "XX Chromosomes" and "uterus+ovaries+functional breasts" when "what happens after a hysterectomy?" Well, taking out a uterus doesn't make you a man.

There are definitely "not typical gender roles" that I don't find work for me--I take care of most of the finances and my husband does most of the cooking and baking. That doesn't mean I dont' say that there are "more female characteristics" and "male characteristics" and by understanding the "male brain" I do understand my husband better.

cupcake123

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:00 pm
Fox - what's your concern with daily wire? I value your opinions and I'm a daily ben Shapiro listener here 😁

miami85

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:06 pm
See my comment above. This is not true for me (and for others that I know).

Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean that someone who believes in this arrangement is "misogynistic"

misogynistic is someone who says that "women ONLY belong in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant", not that "in a healthy marriage it works well when the mother is available to take care of the children and take care of her husband"

Men are notoriously bad at taking care of themselves--my husband will complain all day that he has a headache and won't take a tylenol until I nudge him 4-5 times or put the pill directly in his hand.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:09 pm
I think this comes back to the thing I keep wondering about: Why can people not grasp the concept of generalizations? Is it our driving urge to be assured that we are 'normal?'

There are differences between men and women and they are useful to know about. We are individuals too, with individual strengths and interests. That doesn't mean we should ignore the male/female divides. We can acknowledge them even where they don't apply to us.

I really, seriously, do not understand what makes this so difficult. I am open to thoughts.

miami85

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:10 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Fox - what's your concern with daily wire? I value your opinions and I'm a daily ben Shapiro listener here 😁

Some people don't like that 1)Ben Shapiro is more Modern Orthodox and doesn't always have mainstream Orthodox opinions 2) Andrew Klavan is a Jew who went off the derech and is now an observant Christian 3)Matt Walsh and Jeremy Boering are observant Catholics.

However, one can acknowledge that these guys have an overall better and more intelligent view of American Politics than anyone on CNN or MSNBC.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:11 pm
miami85 wrote:
Some people don't like that 1)Ben Shapiro is more Modern Orthodox and doesn't always have mainstream Orthodox opinions 2) Andrew Klavan is a Jew who went off the derech and is now an observant Christian 3)Matt Walsh and Jeremy Boering are observant Catholics.

However, one can acknowledge that these guys have an overall better and more intelligent view of American Politics than anyone on CNN or MSNBC.

It's true, Klavan is my favorite and I am sad that Judaism didn't sell for him. I am a subscriber however.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:11 pm
miami85 wrote:
Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean that someone who believes in this arrangement is "misogynistic"

misogynistic is someone who says that "women ONLY belong in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant", not that "in a healthy marriage it works well when the mother is available to take care of the children and take care of her husband"

Men are notoriously bad at taking care of themselves--my husband will complain all day that he has a headache and won't take a tylenol until I nudge him 4-5 times or put the pill directly in his hand.

I am very fortunate that B”H my husband can take care of himself very well (as can I) and gender stereotypes don’t work very well in our marriage.

I find that stereotyping and rigid gender expectations often lead to unhealthy demands and expectations. I don’t agree with the whole trans movement (which is apparently out of touch with biological reality) but flexibility in expectations of gender roles is a big improvement from the old 1950s (and before) outlook.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:12 pm
[quote="miami85"]If you read any of the popular relationship books- Mars and Venus, Waffles and Spaghetti, Surrendered Wife, Love languages to SOME degree but the ones that speak to the different genders. You see how to make a good marriage work you have to understand how the male nature is and how the female nature is *in general*.

There are those who keep arguing that "The United States needs better maternity leave"--while it's true, other than social security--which is mainly for people who HAVE worked, or those so disabled that it's impossible for them to work and it's not legal/ethical to let them die, no one gets paid to just "Be". We all have to work to get money. Yes women need to care for their babies and their own health, but that's why up until the 1950s-60s women DIDN'T work. If you had a husband with a decent job you COULD stay home and cook and clean and take care of your children. If you are working then you need to pay someone to clean and care for your children. I stopped caring that my house was always a mess when I realize that for many this is a full-time job, just like I have a full-time job in a different industry. So I can either clean/take care of house full-time, or I can do my job and pay someone. But my job--while a good paying one for where I live, is not enough to pay each person to do their job at $15/hr.[/quota

I’m not sure what you are trying to convey.
Yes, there are some characteristics that are generally found in men, and some in women.

There is a fine line though, between stating that men and women are different, and stating that women are better suited to childcare and homemaking.

That comes from a twisted and misogynistic viewpoint. It comes from viewing women in an objectifying manner, ignoring their inherent intelligence and capabilities, only focusing on the value that they have for men

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:14 pm
amother [ Starflower ] wrote:

I’m not sure what you are trying to convey.
Yes, there are some characteristics that are generally found in men, and some in women.

There is a fine line though, between stating that men and women are different, and stating that women are better suited to childcare and homemaking.

That comes from a twisted and misogynistic viewpoint. It comes from viewing women in an objectifying manner, ignoring their inherent intelligence and capabilities, only focusing on the value that they have for men

I don't see it. Value for men? Value for their families and for society which is built from families.

I use my intelligence and capabilities to take care of my home and family. And thanks to modern appliances, I have time to do more as well.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:16 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I think this comes back to the thing I keep wondering about: Why can people not grasp the concept of generalizations? Is it our driving urge to be assured that we are 'normal?'

There are differences between men and women and they are useful to know about. We are individuals too, with individual strengths and interests. That doesn't mean we should ignore the male/female divides. We can acknowledge them even where they don't apply to us.

I really, seriously, do not understand what makes this so difficult. I am open to thoughts.

I find that stereotypes and generalizations are often applied across the board - even to the many, many individuals who do not fit within those generalizations - which is both painful and unfair. There are often/usually too many exceptions to make generalizations useful in practice.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:18 pm
I find that stereotypes and generalizations are often applied across the board - even to the many, many individuals who do not fit within those generalizations - which is both painful and unfair. There are often/usually too many exceptions to make generalizations useful in practice.

So is what you're saying that we should drop stereotypes and generalizations because other people do not understand the concept of a generalization?

I do not agree that generalizations cannot be useful in practice. Unless you are right that too many people abuse them, which seems a shame.

But then--how do they abuse them? If it's just by making you say "No, you're wrong, that doesn't apply to me!" then so what? I don't believe people should be required to add a disclaimer for every generalization. I think, hope, that we can fill that in ourselves.

When women have limited choices though, that is sad--whether they can only stay at home, or whether the family needs two incomes to survive.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:22 pm
miami85 wrote:

Right better doesn’t have to mean perfect
Better is better
Policy is policy he’s not my rov

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:31 pm
Well I've read this: https://twitter.com/EliErlick/.....an%2F

I think documentaries like this will cause polarization and unnecessary discrimination and hatred towards minorities like transgenders.
Yeah there is a lot to say on the matter and how wokeism and identity politics is a big thing in the USA, I see it from overseas because I don't live in the States but in the UK. Yet I've worked with people and had them clients as a social workers. I find this again totally not helping the community.
I also won't share here my ideas because I think at least 90% is pro Matt Walsh and I don't feel today up to it to fight or to discuss.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:39 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I don't see it. Value for men? Value for their families and for society which is built from families.

I use my intelligence and capabilities to take care of my home and family. And thanks to modern appliances, I have time to do more as well.

Value for men, in terms of cooking and cleaning for men.

Historically, women were thought to be the weaker, less intelligent gender. Science has proven that wrong, at least the intelligence factor. Domestic tasks obviously tend not to require intellectual prowess.I don’t understand how any woman can want to be valued only for her housekeeping skills.

Science has proven that there is no “more intelligent” gender. Why should we confine ourselves only to roles that may not let us utilize our full capabilities?

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:39 pm
Dunno. I believe that women are generally better suited for childcare but not necessarily home making. To me the fact that we are the gender with a womb and breasts is quite significant. But we weren’t the ones only ones created with hands.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:46 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
Dunno. I believe that women are generally better suited for childcare but not necessarily home making. To me the fact that we are the gender with a womb and breasts is quite significant. But we weren’t the ones only ones created with hands.

Some women might be better suited to childcare. But that doesn’t mean that they can’t accomplish so much outside the home as well.

Walsh and his ilk can’t see past the rigid gender expectation, to see the whole person.

We are way more than our gender.

Aylat

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:53 pm
miami85 wrote:
True, but at the same time that's why we haven't come up with a better "maternity leave" situation, there are some women that are just not replaceable at their jobs for 2-3 months at a time and can continue to receive the same salary as while working.

Israel and the UK, among others, have managed to create better maternity leave practices than the US. I have never understood how the leading Western country is so behind on women's rights.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics