Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help me help my picky eater!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:14 pm
Hi
I'm the op of the recent thread regarding feeding my 16 month old. My baby is sooooo picky. He doesn't eat a thing and it's driving me crazy. The only thing he will eat these days are sliced American cheese and bamba snack. Whatever else I put on his tray goes directly onto my kitchen floor. Feeding him doesn't help either as he turns his head away when I try putting food into his mouth and refuses to open his mouth. He begs for bottles when he becomes hungry. This morning I made him French toast. He refused to be fed so I made small pieces and put onto his high chair tray. Not one piece went into his mouth. I then tried giving him oatmeal with apple sauce and he refused to eat that too. He pushed the plate away spilling it all over himself and me. I had to clean up such a mess of a kitchen without him even eating anything. This happens every time I try to feed him. He was soo cranky afterward that I just gave him a milk bottle and he's sleeping now. Please help me. I can't think of doing this at every meal and failing. How do I get my picky eater to eat? He practically doesn't eat a thing. I can't give him cheese all day. He's teething now. Dont know if that has anything to do with the situation.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:21 pm
Division of Feeding Responsibility

Have regular meal and snack times with no food served in between. You decide what is served--the same kind of thing you eat. Include one safe food such as cheese. Baby decides whether and how much to eat.

Eating is his job. It is not your job. Stop worrying about it. Seriously. And everyone will win.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:29 pm
Yes to BrisketBoss.

I'm the picky eater in my family. I don't eat vegetables and a bunch of other foods.

All of my kids do.

I attribute it to my no-pressure food policy.

My rule is "if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it."

I don't have other rules like "finish all on your plate" or "no dessert if you don't eat your broccoli." (My kids LOVE broccoli.)

Just put out food, let them eat. Healthy people don't starve themselves.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:53 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Yes to BrisketBoss.

I'm the picky eater in my family. I don't eat vegetables and a bunch of other foods.

All of my kids do.

I attribute it to my no-pressure food policy.

My rule is "if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it."

I don't have other rules like "finish all on your plate" or "no dessert if you don't eat your broccoli." (My kids LOVE broccoli.)

Just put out food, let them eat. Healthy people don't starve themselves.
I put out food. Problem is that non of the food goes into his mouth. He throws them all over the place and then starts screaming that he wants to get out of his high chair.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 1:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I put put food. Problem is that non of the food goes into his mouth. He throws them all over the place and then starts screaming that he wants to get out of his high chair.

Maybe he doesn't like the high chair?

The best setup I had was a small plastic picnic table so all of my kids could get in and out themselves. My 20 month old just eats on a regular chair at the table.

I've also used a preschool-sized table and chair for smaller kids.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:00 pm
Do you feed him while you and the family are eating? I’ve found babies and kids eat best when that’s what’s going on. Have regularly scheduled mealtimes when food is out on the table and everyone is eating.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:09 pm
my toddler refused to eat food in the high chair. she got fat eating all the food at daycare that fell from the high chair after refusing to eat her own. Over vacation we tried ar eluck and it worked we gave our toddler a toy to play with by the table while she watched the rest of the family eat. just a few minutes than we let her run around. sure ebough sbe was after the plate we intentionally left on the coffe table. while I watched prom the corner of my eye she looked at me to see if I noticed since I gave it no attention she tried it. usualy spit out right away but we kept trying till she got it

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:14 pm
Leave some food around in plate on coffee table or couch.

Baby will probably try some without being pressured.

Foods many babies will eat:

macaroni

string cheese/american cheese

sliced banana

bread - can try smeared with avocado, peanut butter or cream cheese

hard boiled eggs sliced

meatballs or burgers cut in small pieces

soft chicken soup chicken pieces - maybe mixed with a little ketchup

french toast pieces

grilled cheese pieces

yogurt - but that has to be eaten in a high chair.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:22 pm
Have you ever gotten the baby evaluated by a speech therapist? They can help with feeding issues as well. Definitely worth the time.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:23 pm
Read this. And get him OT and feeding therapy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce.....2M2Y=
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics