Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
PSA Decks in Tiveria

lostmyoldSN

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:43 am
This year (shmitta) this restaurant is NOT Mehadrin. They have a regular Rabbanut of Tiveria teuda. We didn't realize this, but when I saw the teudah, I decided to speak to the mashgiach. We spoke to him and he told us what we could eat. It was not that much. Almost all the vegetables were heter mechira.

Anyway, I saw some yeshivish looking people and I asked them what the hechsher was and they told me it was an amazing hechsher and yada yada. IOW, they are clueless. It used to have a great hechsher, but a lot of restaurants go to regular Rabbanut for shmita. I mentioned this to other people and they also had no clue.

So I'm spreading the word. If you eat Rabbanut/Heter Mechira it has an amazing ambiance and tasty food. But if you don't, look elsewhere. Maybe once shmitta is not an issue they will become Mehadrin again. I'm hoping.

Rabbit613

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:48 am
Thanks for letting us know. I was also under the impression that it has a good hechsher.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:53 am
We went a few years ago and it wasn't so clear cut then either I remember. In the end we were told it wasn't reliable.

Either way it's always best to check, and see the teudah in person as some of these workers are truly clueless and just say it's mehadrin when it's not or even straight up lie.

lostmyoldSN

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:47 am
LovesHashem wrote:
We went a few years ago and it wasn't so clear cut then either I remember. In the end we were told it wasn't reliable.

Either way it's always best to check, and see the teudah in person as some of these workers are truly clueless and just say it's mehadrin when it's not or even straight up lie.

Totally. I went into Pagoda (which is the same story. Same owners) and when I asked one of the workers they said they don't serve meat. Another worker corrected her and said they are a meat restaurant! They showed me the teudah when I asked and I saw no mention of Mehadrin.
Anyway, I am not blaming the workers. These are kids earning minimum wage mostly. Heter mechira
don't look different than shmitta lichumra ones.

This restaurant has a reputation of being reliable for Mehadrin eaters and especially to chutznikim who don't know the nuances. I asked a shaila and was told I must publicize that it is NOT mehadrin since a lot of people aren't aware.

juggling

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:18 pm
When I asked a number of years ago they said they were rabanut but used mostly mehadrin meat iirc. Not sure they were ever actually mehadrin.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:31 pm
juggling wrote:
When I asked a number of years ago they said they were rabanut but used mostly mehadrin meat iirc. Not sure they were ever actually mehadrin.

Yes. I think this is what we were told when we asked two years ago.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:33 pm
Are there any mehadrin restaurants in teveria? Nice as well as pizza/felafel?

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:49 pm
Wewere just up north last week and didn't eat up there only because of the price tag. Guess it's a good thing we didn't. There aren't a ton of places but we found about five restaurants that were mehadrin.

lostmyoldSN

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 2:10 pm
twizzlers1 wrote:
Wewere just up north last week and didn't eat up there only because of the price tag. Guess it's a good thing we didn't. There aren't a ton of places but we found about five restaurants that were mehadrin.

Can you list them? We are home now, but if we go again. Good chance we will.

lostmyoldSN

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 2:11 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Are there any mehadrin restaurants in teveria? Nice as well as pizza/felafel?

Pizza and felafel I'm sure there's plenty. So much was Mehadrin there! I was impressed. Nice restaurants, my friend said a new Landau one opened, but I'm not sure the name.

lostmyoldSN

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 2:14 pm
juggling wrote:

I found listings for them that calls them Mehadrin. A year ago, we went and we called and they said they were Mehadrin. I was with a group of people so I didn't personally ask to see the teuda (I should have). But shmitta really makes things much more complicated. And once they are using heter mechira, why be mehadrin for the whole menu? (Although, I do know people that eat mehadrin and also heter mechira. But far from the majority.)

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:07 pm
lostmyoldSN wrote:
I found listings for them that calls them Mehadrin. A year ago, we went and we called and they said they were Mehadrin. I was with a group of people so I didn't personally ask to see the teuda (I should have). But shmitta really makes things much more complicated. And once they are using heter mechira, why be mehadrin for the whole menu? (Although, I do know people that eat mehadrin and also heter mechira. But far from the majority.)

Mehadrin in the Gush uses Heter Mechirah. So always best to really see the teudah. You never know. In addition to the things I mentioned before.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions