Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Teen swim wear for camp
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:45 pm
DD13 going to CBY and DD15 going to maarava. What do they wear in the pool - just bathing suit, cover up, or something else over bathing suit (I saw in another thread about shorts and tee)?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:49 pm
Following!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 12:09 am
Bathing suit.
Swim shorts as sometimes they get self conscious or need it if it's the time of the month.
Cover up is used for trips to water parks.
Slides for pool (and showers).
Zipper robe to walk to and from pool.
Goggles
Bathing cap

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 6:54 am
Thank you - can you link what kind of swim shorts. I was showing my daughter ideas and she wasn't sure what she wanted (read: what everyone else will have)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you - can you link what kind of swim shorts. I was showing my daughter ideas and she wasn't sure what she wanted (read: what everyone else will have)

This is not what everyone will have, but this is what my dd has. Smile
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....;th=1

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
This is not what everyone will have, but this is what my dd has. Smile
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....;th=1

Thanks, this is so helpful! How is this different from what other girls will have?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:10 am
ra_mom wrote:
Bathing suit.
Swim shorts as sometimes they get self conscious or need it if it's the time of the month.
Cover up is used for trips to water parks.
Slides for pool (and showers).
Zipper robe to walk to and from pool.
Goggles
Bathing cap

According to DD, no one wears zipper robes anymore (she refused to take one to camp). They use cover-ups as a robe - you put it on over bathing suit, you go to pool (with towel) and take cover-up off for swimming.

agree with everything else.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:32 am
maybe off topic but what do girls do about swimming when they have their period. my daughter doesn't want to use anything internal. do most girls or do they sit it out....

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:39 am
Chayalle wrote:
According to DD, no one wears zipper robes anymore (she refused to take one to camp). They use cover-ups as a robe - you put it on over bathing suit, you go to pool (with towel) and take cover-up off for swimming.

What about the 2 piece robes?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:32 am
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
Thanks, this is so helpful! How is this different from what other girls will have?

I have know idea which shorts others wear, just know which ones dd wears.
For sitting out at the pool when needing extra coverage, she may end up wearing one of her bikers shorts.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:45 am; edited 2 times in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:33 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
What about the 2 piece robes?

Not a thing in the BY type camps but they are popular in other camps.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:34 am
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
maybe off topic but what do girls do about swimming when they have their period. my daughter doesn't want to use anything internal. do most girls or do they sit it out....

Many sit in bathing suit and shorts and tan.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:35 am
Chayalle wrote:

That sounds like my preteen- she refuses. Maybe the younger kids aren't into it. My older teen is taking hers.

But my older teen won't take boots either. She says natives are better for her. Maybe it has to do with the terrain of the camp. Or the non cool factor of boots. Who knows. Boots are heavy so glad to have one less thing to pack.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
Not a thing in the BY type camps but they are popular in other camps.

Oh well. That is what she wore past few years in lkwd. She is going to very BY camp. But I guess I’ll send anyways.
She also has 2 piece coverup. She’ll just have to figure it out there.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:05 am

Lots of girls sit out anyway....my DD told me she went swimming like once or twice.

(but she also wears tampons. If possible, help her get comfortable with that. It's such a game changer for teens.)

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:09 am
she's only 12 and is totally grossed out by the idea.
also growing up I was always under the belief that girls shouldn't use them before marriage. then my kallah teacher told me to use it when engaged so I guess that's narishkeit?

she loves swimming though....

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:18 am
she's only 12 and is totally grossed out by the idea.
also growing up I was always under the belief that girls shouldn't use them before marriage. then my kallah teacher told me to use it when engaged so I guess that's narishkeit?

she loves swimming though....

To each their own. My girls were grossed out by the idea of pads....
the important thing is for them to feel comfortable.

Everyone has their own beliefs/hashkafa. I don't have an issue with tampons, and showed my girls how to use it from the get-go. Especially useful for those who love swimming (or for when period shows up the day of a trip to waterpark!)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 8:31 pm
DD13 has not started shaving, I have offered it as an option but she has yet to take me up on it. Her hair is blond, so not so noticeable. Should I push her before camp? Will she be made fun of? I remember it being a social pressure in camp (for some odd reason)....opinions? If she plans on wearing a plain bathing suit, maybe I should push for at least shaving under arms?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 8:37 pm
Don't push her. Send along an inexpensive electric razor that doesn't nick. Shoe her how to use it. She'll have the option if she changes her mind in camp.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 8:49 pm
I told my daughter either shave or wear shortsleeves and shorts, her choice but I do think it's not a good idea to not shave with a regular bathing suit.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics