Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Very very detailed cleaning guide
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:46 pm
I use magic eraser. You can get on aliexpress for very cheap.

kollel_wife

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 2:28 pm
I do the toilet first, but you can do the sink first too. I wash my shmattas.
(I never buy paper towels except for Yom tov - too expensive.)
I don't wear gloves - I would do the toilet last if you wear gloves.

I would try a brush or toothbrush for a heating vent.

Bedrooms -
windex windows every few weeks.
Once a week
Dust furniture, window sills and parts where top & bottom meet (places the collect dust)
Vaccum

A few times a year vaccum very well, under and behind everything.

Window

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 3:00 pm
Microfiber cloths are really good at picking up and attracting dust. I have like 10 of them and toss them in the washing machine when I’m done.

This nail brush is incredible. It’s so great for textured walls, baseboards, grout in between tiles, the crack under the toilet, white sneakers, the design on cabinets… it’s amazing and cheap

Superio Nail Brush Set (3 Pack) Cleaner with Handle - Durable Brush Scrubber to Clean Toes, Fingernails, Hand Scrubber All Surface Cleaning, Heavy Duty Scrub Brush Stiff Bristles, Easy to Hold (Red) https://a.co/d/j41gmfg

I use Mrs Meyers lemon verbena all purpose spray for almost everything because I like the smell.

For worse stains, I use bar keepers friend powder which is incredibly strong. Also super cheap.

I like scrub daddy sponges. They’re a lot firmer than regular sponges and do a great job. They’re really sturdy and last a long time. They’re also dishwasher and washing machine friendly.

How to clean a toilet:
Start with the inside because the product works better when it sits. Pour the product (whichever you’re using) into the toilet, right below the rim, all the way around the circle. Close the toilet and let it sit. Spritz the tank and start there wipe it with a microfiber cloth and work your way down. Spray and wipe all sides of the seat - top of the lid, inside the lid, top of seat, bottom of seat…. It’s harder to clean around the hardware- where the seat attaches to the toilet. Use a toothbrush to get into there. If there are strong stains, use something stronger like barkeepers friend. If the stains are really hard to remove, you might want to unscrew the seat, so you can properly clean underneath. Take the toilet bowl brush and scrub really well. All the way up, under the rim, deep down as far as it can go. Spray the outside of the toilet bowl (underneath) and go around it, wiping it all up. Spray and wipe all the way down to the floor. Tougher stains will need a brush or scrub daddy or magic eraser. I find that yellow stains land everywhere in bathrooms. So I also clean the walls around the toilet and scrub the yellowed baseboards. The toilet brush is supposed to dry before you put it away- I’m not exactly sure how to do that lol.

Another product I use is dish soap. Dawn power wash spray is really strong and easy to spray. It’s good for any type of oil-based dirt.

After you clean stainless steel appliances, they need a finish. I think it’s called Weisman’s stainless steel spray. Spray it on the sink, dishwasher, oven, fridge, and buff it with a microfiber cloth. It’ll sparkle like new.

My sink is ceramic, I use bar keepers friend to remove the stains. It works really well and it’s so easy. Minimal scrubbing required.

Scraping tool is a necessity!! Scrapes off all types of dirt! You can google “scraping cleaning tool.”

With daily upkeep, a stove won’t get too dirty. I just wipe it down after each use. Sometimes with water, sometimes a cleaning spray, sometimes a sponge.

Although it’s yucky, oven cleaner spray is needed for tough oven jobs. It works best when you let it sit for a while. A scraper tool and scrub daddy steel sponge will get the oven cleaned pretty easily.

Put all cleaning brushes, sponges, and toothbrushes in a cleaning bin or container so they don’t get mixed up.

I try to keep my all purpose spray in every room of the house so it’s always easy and quick access.

Make sure your mop itself, is actually clean before cleaning.

A good time to clean the fridge is on a day when it’s mostly empty. Just remove the few items, spray and wipe. The scraper tool might be needed.

I used to only clean with paper towels because I found them more sanitary. I started using sponges and brushes because they work SOOO much better!! It’s helpful to have a stash of spare brushes and sponges, so you can throw them out when they’re too gross. Although scrub daddy’s are machine washable, so you won’t be tossing them when they’re gross, only when they rip.

Two other products that are super strong and clean really well- the pink stuff paste and scrub daddy power paste. Personally I never tried them, but they’re on my shopping list.

You can buy cleaning attachments for a drill. Then you can electrically scrub the bathtub, floor, whatever….

I don’t allow shoes in my house. In the winter, they track in snow and in the summer, they track in dirt.

PS- clean your garbage cans. They get gross.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 3:08 pm
The question for me is not how, but WHEN?

Between, work, errands, shopping, cooking, laundry, small kids, big kids, a baby who wakes up several times a night (not to mention several hours sucked out of the day for nursing), social obligations, marital obligations... where in the world do you have time/energy to do this on a consistent basis?

Seriously asking here. When do you balebustas do all of this, in your sleep?

Oldest

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 3:13 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
The question for me is not how, but WHEN?

Between, work, errands, shopping, cooking, laundry, small kids, big kids, a baby who wakes up several times a night (not to mention several hours sucked out of the day for nursing), social obligations, marital obligations... where in the world do you have time/energy to do this on a consistent basis?

Seriously asking here. When do you balebustas do all of this, in your sleep?

I have the same question. By the time my kids are in for the night, I am finished! And I still need to make supper for dh and I and clean up from that supper and pack my kids up for the next day... By the time I am done all that, maybe I have energy to pick up the toys- but definitely not for a deep clean like everyone is describing.... (wish I had a cleaning lady.... but thats for another day)

Window

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 3:20 pm
Oldest wrote:
I have the same question. By the time my kids are in for the night, I am finished! And I still need to make supper for dh and I and clean up from that supper and pack my kids up for the next day... By the time I am done all that, maybe I have energy to pick up the toys- but definitely not for a deep clean like everyone is describing.... (wish I had a cleaning lady.... but thats for another day)

I have cleaning help once a week. I like to clean little bits here and there. Five minutes here. Five minutes there. My toddler joins me too- it’s entertaining lol.
Most jobs take less time than we think they do. Just five minutes can clean off one counter and wash it.

Do what you can and don’t stress about the rest. I don’t find it productive to spend a few hours cleaning. Hire for whatever you can’t do

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:10 pm
I'm so happy I found this post. I'm married 4 years and I've always been in school (undergrad, now grad school) and have 2 toddlers. My house is always a mess. I grew up in a cluttered hoarder type of home. (BH loving, but messy) I didn't realize how much it would effect me.
I was always busy so I kept saying I'll clean the house when I have a long enough break. BH this summer I have some time but I feel stuck. Like, I don't even know how to clean!
I also don't have cleaning help so it's all on me (DH has mental issues and can't help me most of the time)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:22 pm
Window wrote:
I have cleaning help once a week. I like to clean little bits here and there. Five minutes here. Five minutes there. My toddler joins me too- it’s entertaining lol.
Most jobs take less time than we think they do. Just five minutes can clean off one counter and wash it.

Do what you can and don’t stress about the rest. I don’t find it productive to spend a few hours cleaning. Hire for whatever you can’t do

Window you are so gshicked! Loving your mindset and advice. You just sound like a person I’d want to hang out with 😁

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:31 pm
Follow- Just cleaned it- on Instagram.
She's great.

https://instagram.com/justclea.....2M2Y=

Window

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 1:48 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Window you are so gshicked! Loving your mindset and advice. You just sound like a person I’d want to hang out with 😁

Lol thanks! It’s fun for me, even though I have cleaning help.

How to clean walls:
If it’s just dust that’s high up, I use an extendable duster. If you don’t have one, you can drape a cloth over a broom, I guess.
If you want to remove like food stains from kitchen walls, you’ll have to scrub. Spray it, and either wipe it or scrub it with a brush. My walls are popcorn, so I need to actually scrub with a brush.
I also get all of my ideas from @justcleanedit. She makes everything seem so fun! Lol

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:15 am
How do you ladies clean the toilet brush?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 7:03 am
Window wrote:
...I used to only clean with paper towels because I found them more sanitary. I started using sponges and brushes because they work SOOO much better!! It’s helpful to have a stash of spare brushes and sponges, so you can throw them out when they’re too gross. Although scrub daddy’s are machine washable, so you won’t be tossing them when they’re gross, only when they rip...

How do you clean the microfiber clothes, sponges, etc from the toilet? By hand or in the machine?

If in the machine, do you wash them separately or with the rest of the laundry?

What soap/disinfectant do you use?

Where do you dry the cloths until your ready to wash them?

Thanks.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 7:19 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
How do you clean the microfiber clothes, sponges, etc from the toilet? By hand or in the machine?

Thanks.

I wash them in machine with vinegar and detergent. I put them in a little basket down by the laundry

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 7:33 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

I have a stick with disposable scrubbers that I replace after each time. It's more sanitary to me than cleaning a toilet brush in a tub or sink.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 7:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I found her website extremely disorganized and overwhelming tbh. I need something more simple. Like:
Bathroom: take such and such cleaner spray all over the tub. Take such and such cloth/paper towel and wipe down. Rinse with warm water. Or whatever. I don’t even get the concept of using rags. Like u use one rag to wipe down the toilet? Aren’t u just wiping dirt all over ?

I only use toilet paper to clean the toilet, unhygienic otherwise.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 7:38 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

After cleaning the toilet, I flush, pour in some more cleanser and scrub the clean toilet. Then flush again to rinse.

Sometimes I will pour hot water into the toilet and scrub a bit with that. You can close the lid on the brush to let it dry a bit.

Window

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 11:20 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:

Thanks.

That’s the reason I never wanted to use cloths and I only used paper towels. I have a laundry pail for just towels and linen. After I shake out crumbs, I put the dirty ones in there and wash them with towels and linen on warm. Maybe not the most sterile way? 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 12:00 pm
Using tips from this thread. .. today when I cleaned the bathrooms, I used rags for the sink and floor, which I then washed separately on hot water, then dried on highest setting in dryer. I still used paper towels on the toilet because it just grosses me out to then wash in my machine I'll then use for clothing linen dish towels etc.

I don't think warm is really adequate to get rid of the gross bacteria from a bathroom floor etc. I wonder if I'm really saving money by washing rags in hot water to save on a few papertowels....it feels thrifty but who says it really is?

amother
Lightcyan

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 2:10 pm
Window wrote:
Microfiber cloths are really good at picking up and attracting dust. I have like 10 of them and toss them in the washing machine when I’m done.

This nail brush is incredible. It’s so great for textured walls, baseboards, grout in between tiles, the crack under the toilet, white sneakers, the design on cabinets… it’s amazing and cheap

Superio Nail Brush Set (3 Pack) Cleaner with Handle - Durable Brush Scrubber to Clean Toes, Fingernails, Hand Scrubber All Surface Cleaning, Heavy Duty Scrub Brush Stiff Bristles, Easy to Hold (Red) https://a.co/d/j41gmfg

I use Mrs Meyers lemon verbena all purpose spray for almost everything because I like the smell.

For worse stains, I use bar keepers friend powder which is incredibly strong. Also super cheap.

I like scrub daddy sponges. They’re a lot firmer than regular sponges and do a great job. They’re really sturdy and last a long time. They’re also dishwasher and washing machine friendly.

How to clean a toilet:
Start with the inside because the product works better when it sits. Pour the product (whichever you’re using) into the toilet, right below the rim, all the way around the circle. Close the toilet and let it sit. Spritz the tank and start there wipe it with a microfiber cloth and work your way down. Spray and wipe all sides of the seat - top of the lid, inside the lid, top of seat, bottom of seat…. It’s harder to clean around the hardware- where the seat attaches to the toilet. Use a toothbrush to get into there. If there are strong stains, use something stronger like barkeepers friend. If the stains are really hard to remove, you might want to unscrew the seat, so you can properly clean underneath. Take the toilet bowl brush and scrub really well. All the way up, under the rim, deep down as far as it can go. Spray the outside of the toilet bowl (underneath) and go around it, wiping it all up. Spray and wipe all the way down to the floor. Tougher stains will need a brush or scrub daddy or magic eraser. I find that yellow stains land everywhere in bathrooms. So I also clean the walls around the toilet and scrub the yellowed baseboards. The toilet brush is supposed to dry before you put it away- I’m not exactly sure how to do that lol.

Another product I use is dish soap. Dawn power wash spray is really strong and easy to spray. It’s good for any type of oil-based dirt.

After you clean stainless steel appliances, they need a finish. I think it’s called Weisman’s stainless steel spray. Spray it on the sink, dishwasher, oven, fridge, and buff it with a microfiber cloth. It’ll sparkle like new.

My sink is ceramic, I use bar keepers friend to remove the stains. It works really well and it’s so easy. Minimal scrubbing required.

Scraping tool is a necessity!! Scrapes off all types of dirt! You can google “scraping cleaning tool.”

With daily upkeep, a stove won’t get too dirty. I just wipe it down after each use. Sometimes with water, sometimes a cleaning spray, sometimes a sponge.

Although it’s yucky, oven cleaner spray is needed for tough oven jobs. It works best when you let it sit for a while. A scraper tool and scrub daddy steel sponge will get the oven cleaned pretty easily.

Put all cleaning brushes, sponges, and toothbrushes in a cleaning bin or container so they don’t get mixed up.

I try to keep my all purpose spray in every room of the house so it’s always easy and quick access.

Make sure your mop itself, is actually clean before cleaning.

A good time to clean the fridge is on a day when it’s mostly empty. Just remove the few items, spray and wipe. The scraper tool might be needed.

I used to only clean with paper towels because I found them more sanitary. I started using sponges and brushes because they work SOOO much better!! It’s helpful to have a stash of spare brushes and sponges, so you can throw them out when they’re too gross. Although scrub daddy’s are machine washable, so you won’t be tossing them when they’re gross, only when they rip.

Two other products that are super strong and clean really well- the pink stuff paste and scrub daddy power paste. Personally I never tried them, but they’re on my shopping list.

You can buy cleaning attachments for a drill. Then you can electrically scrub the bathtub, floor, whatever….

I don’t allow shoes in my house. In the winter, they track in snow and in the summer, they track in dirt.

PS- clean your garbage cans. They get gross.

Window, love this! We should be friends! I love to clean too as well. One of my pet peeves is that most people use a dirty broom and mop to clean and just making everything dirtier. Use clean items to clean, ladies!

Window

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:03 pm
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
Window, love this! We should be friends! I love to clean too as well. One of my pet peeves is that most people use a dirty broom and mop to clean and just making everything dirtier. Use clean items to clean, ladies!

Any suggestions how to clean the broom? I agree! I do switch the thing on my steam mop often
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics