Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
When can I pull out of a playgroup?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:52 pm
I reserved a spot for my son in a playgroup for september. I paid the morah this week

but I was just offered a new job in a new location which would mean I wouldnt send my child to that playgroup. deposit was 150$. im sure I lost it.

but I wanted to know if ethically its too late for me to pull out? its june 17, and I needed it for september time

does a deposit mean a guarantee a child will go to that school?

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:53 pm
Call and ask? Many places have waiting lists and the Koran will keep your deposit and call the next person.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:53 pm
I think you can still pull out but don't expect to get back your deposit.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:54 pm
There are plenty of people still looking for spots. She will likely fill it before september. Also you can offer to let people know a spot opened, post in chats and tell neighbors and friends.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:56 pm
I think you can pull out. I know many people that did this because they ended up moving it in the summer. But you won't get back the deposit. That's the point of the deposit- so that people will think twice before pulling out. But if you need to then you can.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:58 pm
yes I understand about not receiving the deposit back, whatever
but im asking if this is a shaila for a rav
I know when I went last week to pay she told me she still had 2 spots left and to let people know

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:59 pm
Some playgroups have a policy that if you pull out you are responsible to pay unless they can find someone else. All my kids Morahs always had that policy and I signed on it when I registered.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:03 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Some playgroups have a policy that if you pull out you are responsible to pay unless they can find someone else. All my kids Morahs always had that policy and I signed on it when I registered.

I didnt sign anything yet...I just had to reserve a spot for $150
she gave me paperwork to fill out but that was if my child has allergies and what their name is etc

I didnt see anything in the paperwork with a policy like that

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:44 pm
If she still has open spots, it changes things a lot but you really need to ask a rabbi what to do now.

Are you in Lakewood? I'm looking for Morahs for next yr....

agreer

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:16 pm
you can ALWAYS pull out. Just because you reserved doesn't mean you are obligated.

That's why they have a deposit. Just to case.

You don't have to make it hard for yourself. The same way your life circumstances changed in the last 8 months since you booked, so can hers.

It's not a big deal.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 12:02 pm
agreer wrote:
you can ALWAYS pull out. Just because you reserved doesn't mean you are obligated.

You don't have to make it hard for yourself. The same way your life circumstances changed in the last 8 months since you booked, so can hers.

It's not a big deal.

Agree with this

Sesame

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 1:12 pm
I would ask a shaila. But ask the morah, she may have a waiting list and therefore won’t care

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 1:28 pm
I was moving so the playgroup was not near me anymore. Also reserved in Septemeber, called about a week ago. The teacher was actually excited since she told me she has someone waiting for a slot...

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 3:23 pm
September is 3 months away. I think that's enough notice for someone to find a replacement. The same way your circumstances have changed, so might someone else and they will take your slot. Pulling out a week before isn't menchlichkeit, but I don't see why this isn't okay.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 6:44 pm
Morah here. You can definitely pull out. You are not obligated to send to her. I don't think it's a shayla now. (Maybe if it was the day before school it wouldn't be nice but she has the whole summer to fill the spot).

amother
Peru

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 7:48 pm
agreer wrote:

It's not a big deal.

Most rabbanim will say this isn’t true. A deposit shows you plan on sending for the year. It’s like a contract.
Ask your rav. You may need to fill your spot.

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 8:06 pm
Sometimes the person who cancels, pays for a couple of weeks of ads.

If the playgroup is halfway decent, should have no problem filling slot.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 8:08 pm
Good playgroups have a list of people waiting for a slot. It's normal to cancel 3 months before, the slot will most likely automatically be filled.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 8:08 pm
thank you
ill ask a shaila ofc good idea.

how do I word it to the morah? I am not confrontational im scared to upset her
text? phone?

amother
Winterberry

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 8:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you
ill ask a shaila ofc good idea.

how do I word it to the morah? I am not confrontational im scared to upset her
text? phone?

Call her and just tell her the truth. There's nothing to be afraid of. I'm sure it's not the first time someone pulled out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette