Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What age do you start brushing a baby’s teeth?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:26 pm
15 months? 18 months? 24? Obviously once they got lots of teeth in .. including molars.

srbmom

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:27 pm
My dentist told me if there's a tooth, brush it - every night

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:28 pm
Officially from a single tooth. Also just get the routine in and be comfortable with the toothbrush even if no cleaning is happening

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:29 pm
srbmom wrote:
My dentist told me if there's a tooth, brush it - every night

This.

I heard many start even when no teeth - meaning run one of those finger brushes gently over the gums just so they get used to it and don't fight you on it later.

s1

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:09 pm
From when they get their first tooth

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:22 pm
Is the question what age you SHOULD, or what age you DO?

qwerty4

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:31 pm
Can someone teach me how? My two year old is not gonna let me stick a toothbrush in his mouth.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:36 pm
qwerty4 wrote:
Can someone teach me how? My two year old is not gonna let me stick a toothbrush in his mouth.

Be playful, that's the best way. And don't stress if his teeth don't get a thorough cleaning every night. It's not really as big a deal as people think.

Some ways of being playful: take turns, let him brush your teeth, tell him something silly about the stuff you have to get off his teeth.

Some dentists recommend laying the child down, head between your legs. You don't have to fight so hard to hold the kid still, and the kid should be more amenable to it.

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:37 pm
qwerty4 wrote:

That's why it's best to start when they are babies because they are used to it.
But I would let him try it himself first, let him watch you, maybe give a reward after. A cavity can come easily and it's so sad to see little kids have to get fillings. I cried the first time my oldest had one.

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:39 pm
I usually start around 15-18 months. In the beginning I just let them play with it and suck off the (safe to swallow) toothpaste. After a while once they're comfortable with the idea, I start saying it's mommy's turn, and then it's your turn. When it's my turn I brush a little, slowly increasing, until they are totally used to it.

gootlfriends

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:41 pm
It depends on the kid. Sensory kids wouldn't let me into their mouth. My current 19 month old wants to be a big girl and copy her siblings. She didn't get most of her teeth before 16 months...she loves when I do it.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:43 pm
My husband does it in the bath! My babies are early teethers and have full mouth of teeth by a year. My current baby saw the dentist at 9 months (which is hysterical)

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 9:54 pm
Different question- at what age do they need to start using toothpaste? My dd is 2.3 and I'm using a plain toothbrush so far

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:02 pm
qwerty4 wrote:

Give him a toothbrush and let him do it himself. My toddler does a pretty decent job by now. He started watching my older kids brush their teeth from when he was a year old and decided that he wants to brush his teeth by himself.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:09 pm
Wet cloth on gums even before teeth come in

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:14 pm
From when they start having teething, swollen gums I brushed with a silicone toothbrush. I also let them try it themselves. Once the tooth broke through, twice a day religiously. My kids bh have good toothbrushing habits and the preschoolers usually even remember to floss!

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 12:54 am
Before teeth come in. I'd brush with water and soft baby toothbrush to get her into the routine.

SG18

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:02 am
I started brushing at about 6 months. Baby got teeth at 4 months. I just did water, and always played/sang an aleph bet song. She loved the song, so had good associations with brushing her teeth. We started using toothpaste at a year.
I always started out brushing the teeth, then letting her play with it/chew on the toothbrush.
I don't use the song every time anymore, but she loves brushing her teeth. We do it in the morning (usually after breakfast, because she's super hungry when she first wakes up) and before bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics