Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to manage without cleaning help
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:08 pm
I don’t have cleaning help for now. I have 3 young kids, I work, dh works. It’s exhausting. Can you post your best tips for keeping a clean organized home with no cleaning help?
I already have a robot vacuum.
Thanks!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:25 pm
My best tip is to have one laundry basket per kid. Wash everything together with a color catcher sheet. No sorting through after you just dump everything into that kids drawer, (I do wash kids white shirts separately from the rest of their clothes- with my dh whites)

oneofakind

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:27 pm
Disposable dishes, pans, tablecloth. Saves a lot of time.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:31 pm
Small garbage can in every room.

Keep baby wipes in the bathroom and make it a goal to wipe down somewhere every time you use the bathroom.

Damp spray mop.

Long-handled dustpan, makes sweeping much easier.

Make sure every toy has a home and that its home is labeled with a picture so kids can help.

Cups with kids' names on them so you don't have a thousand cups every day.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:34 pm
Lower your standards.

(Never had cleaning help. Which I know is not the same as being used to having it. But it’s advice I live by)

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 10:34 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
My best tip is to have one laundry basket per kid. Wash everything together with a color catcher sheet. No sorting through after you just dump everything into that kids drawer, (I do wash kids white shirts separately from the rest of their clothes- with my dh whites)

This. It saves so much time not having to sort. My kids who are 6+ do their own laundry because it is so easy.

Also get a robot vacuum.

On Friday have every kid choose a job and everyone cleans together according to their preference.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:25 pm
I already do a lot of what’s listed here Smile but I’m still finding the work to be hard.

I don’t have separate hampers for kids because I wash in the same load (I wash every day so folding is minimal).

I have a robot vacuum, garbage in each room, a lot of disposable pans and tablecloths although it’s expensive and I don’t like what it does to the environment so I’m trying to scale back when I can.

Kids clean up the toys b”H.

I can’t lower my standards. My standards are not crazy high but clean floors clean counters tables and chairs and clean bathrooms are a must. As is laundry. (Ironing is so hard for me- how do I deal with that???)

Any other tips? Best way to clean kitchen counters and sinks, quickest way to mop or any hacks (I have a shark steam mop- is it worthwhile to get a robot mop?)

TCR

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 11:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I already do a lot of what’s listed here Smile but I’m still finding the work to be hard.

I don’t have separate hampers for kids because I wash in the same load (I wash every day so folding is minimal).

I have a robot vacuum, garbage in each room, a lot of disposable pans and tablecloths although it’s expensive and I don’t like what it does to the environment so I’m trying to scale back when I can.

Kids clean up the toys b”H.

I can’t lower my standards. My standards are not crazy high but clean floors clean counters tables and chairs and clean bathrooms are a must. As is laundry. (Ironing is so hard for me- how do I deal with that???)

Any other tips? Best way to clean kitchen counters and sinks, quickest way to mop or any hacks (I have a shark steam mop- is it worthwhile to get a robot mop?)

abt the ironing, u can use wrinkle release spray instead

amother
White

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:06 am
Great ideas so far.
I took an old windex bottle (because the spray mechanism is good for a long time) I put in some dish soap and water (about one tablespoon to an almost full bottle of water) and I use this to clean almost everything. Counters, tables, baseboards, sticky door handles, cabinets, etc. this way, no harsh chemicals, minimizes amount of stuff. Safe for kids to handle. I spray, let it sit for two minutes, wipe and it’s made cleanup much easier.
Bathrooms get a separate treatment.
A very successful home/work management coach I know keeps a very rigid/spotless home. She claims that folding laundry is overrated. Maybe one day you can adopt her attitude.
Most of us have too much stuff and therefore way more to clean. Maybe consider a more minimalist attitude.
Good luck

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:10 am
I clean up when she's in school (5 year old that wrecks up the house to the next level). I take her to the park so my house stays clean.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 3:12 am
Robot mop and vacuum are not worth it. I legit ran a vacuum on the dirt and it didn't pick up.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:33 am
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Robot mop and vacuum are not worth it. I legit ran a vacuum on the dirt and it didn't pick up.

I actually have the vacuum and love it.

Does wrinkle release spray really work?

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:39 am
O cedar spray mop. I don't even always bother sweeping. You can push the dirt to the center of the room then sweep that up.
Toilet wand.

Last edited by Simple1 on Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total

kenz

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Depends how picky you are. It will not look like a freshly ironed shirt but it’s a better than nothing kind of thing. Also remove clothing from dryer immediately when the cycle ends, you get away with a lot less ironing.

amother
Wallflower

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Which vacuum do you have?

oneofakind

Put dress shirts and other wrinkled clothing in dryer for a few minutes straight out of the washing machine and then hang. The spray is helpful but doesn't always work.
Realistically, you need your DH to pitch in as well.

cupcake123

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:55 am
Robot mop in my experience is not as good as the robot vacuum but steam mops are awesome!
Have less stuff and organize. When things are neat you're more likely to put away.
And I've said this so many times but for me motivating yourself is a biggie. Buy yourself something either a treat, takeout, expensive cleaning products...whatever it is that will motivate you. And dont feel guilty cuz - its cheaper then cleaning help!

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 7:59 am
Throw things away.
Only purchase things that you already have a designated place for.
It’s easier to clean when there’s less stuff around.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:00 am
Simple1 wrote:
O cedar spray mop. I don't even always bother sweeping. You can push the dirt to the center of the room then sweep that up.
Toilet wand.

Whats a cedar spray mop?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 8:06 am
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
Which vacuum do you have?

Shark ion robot vacuum

I also have the cedar o spray mop for my hardwood floors but I hate it. It leaks.

I have a shark steam for the tile floors and love it. I have Clorox toilet wands but still it’s so hard to keep everything clean with the kids underfoot! There’s no time to clean! If I skip even one day it piles up…

I ordered wrinkle release spray I hope it helps at least with the kids’ stuff.

And to the poster who suggested treating myself: last week I got a pedicure with the cleaning lady’s money, next week I’ll go shopping.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics