Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Con Ed is paying someone for over a week to sit in his car a
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:27 am
So this is what your tax dollars do to?

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:35 am
Iymnok wrote:
So this is what your tax dollars do to?

Con Ed is a publicly traded company. Our taxes don’t go to them

English3

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 2:33 am
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
Con Ed is a publicly traded company. Our taxes don’t go to them

The question is who hires them not if they are a private company.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:20 am
They’re called CON ed for a reason.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:21 am
While it seems like a ridiculous occupation, I imagine the reality is that they would not be able to do repairs unless they had these open spaces to access the utility lines.

New York City has a unique mixture of very limited street parking as well as having very old utilities that are buried in the streets

What would be the solution assuming that Con Ed needs the work done and needs the free access - they can't have cars parked there when they arrive so they need to ensure that there is open space available WHEN they arrive which means that the area needs to be blocked off as cars leave.

pause

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Definitely.

So many threads about unemployed husbands.

All these husbands should find jobs sitting over dangerous holes.

This had me Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:49 am
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
Sorry everyone it's (most likely!) not FBI or anything cool. Just NY ineptitude! Same thing happened on my block and they did come and do the work after about a week. The guy slept the whole day in his car then watched people when he was bored of sleeping. Poor soul, huh?

How do I get such a job??

And yeah it's such a waste of resources, they just don't care enough to coordinate better that they should only send the guy right before they need the spot or some other method. Part of why we have such high prices.

Yes this.
I'm in Williamsburg on a very busy street, same thing for over a week and then con ed came and took over. We were all suspicious and wondering the same as everyone on this thread.
Oh well turned into nothing.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:38 am
This happened a while ago in front of my house as well. I thought they were undercover detectives staking out the house!
But nope, it was just Con Ed. Sitting in the car 24 hours a day for 4 days. it was crazy.

healthminded

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 11:50 am
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
Dunno but it’s an “onLy in Boro Park” kind of story LOL

More like
"Welcome to NY"
the bureaucracy & inefficiency of our government & public service companies are not to be found anywhere else

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 11:52 am
must be a cover story Wink

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 12:39 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Yes this.
I'm in Williamsburg on a very busy street, same thing for over a week and then con ed came and took over. We were all suspicious and wondering the same as everyone on this thread.
Oh well turned into nothing.

Same in Williamsburg, saw over Shavous my husband said they're there for a week already. Don't know if Con-Ed came in the end though...

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:00 pm
saw this on 10th avenue in bp. dh says that they station themselves and wait for the car to leave their spot, so they can block off where they need to work. Maybe they're not allowed to ask people to move their car, so they have someone there, and making their parameter larger with every car that leaves.
There was 3 spaces already blocked with cones.
this guy sometimes he sits in his car. Other times he takes out a chair and sits on the sidewalk, reads a newspaper etc.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 1:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Con Ed is paying someone for over a week already to just sit in his car and reserve space for when theyll work underground. Hes been here for over a week and Con Ed didnt do a thing there yet.

Car says Con Ed, cones say Con Ed.

Does this make financial sense?

Con Ed cant get a car moved when they need to work under the space where a car is parked?

They cant tow the car?

Something seems off about this. Hes here 7 days a week, from early in the morning til late at night (hes here now) just sitting in his car or pacing near his car, and talking on the phone.. on a busy block in BP.

Makes no sense. Why would they have to sit in the car? They could be nearby in their house and just get a phone call when the truck needs to come park.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 2:11 pm
I just had the best chuckle reading about what was posted. You all deserve a Applause for helping me to feel like this Rolling Laughter .I just can't understand why they need the guys saving the spot for so many days? Don't the company's know when it will come to take care of the problem? I understand for a day, but a few days?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 2:28 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I just had the best chuckle reading about what was posted. You all deserve a Applause for helping me to feel like this Rolling Laughter .I just can't understand why they need the guys saving the spot for so many days? Don't the company's know when it will come to take care of the problem? I understand for a day, but a few days?

No, they might not know exactly and want the flexibility to execute multiple different jobs throughout the week.

or, one repair might take multiple access sites and steps, and it's not clear when they will move from one to another, or if they will have to go back and try again if the repair goes wonky.

And forget it, if they spend a ton of time just trying to set up work space, there will be no efficiency for these skilled laborers. It will be both inefficient as well as demotivating for the skilled workforce.

I can totally see how it's less expensive to hold a spot etc. like this over a window of time than what may have been the cycling of the repair crew.

bluebird

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 5:23 pm
It's probably less costly for them to have someone there blocking the space and able to tell people not to park there than for them to find out the area is blocked when work crews arrive, call for a tow truck, deal with angry people etc.

OP why don't you just call con ed if you're concerned?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:01 pm
FBI just made a BP arrest it seems. Is this your block?. 😆

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did, hes Russian, and seems friendly.

Kids from Shul on block asked him what hes doing there and he told them same.

DH wants to now how he doesnt run out of gas.

He has an electric car of course?

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 3:00 pm
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
FBI just made a BP arrest it seems. Is this your block?. 😆

Interesting development. Do you have any more info, or an online source that discusses it? Was it a frum person arrested?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 3:01 pm
No ide. Just saw on YWN and made me laugh.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries