Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Vaccine newborn at the hospital?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:24 am
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
Just be aware that declining doesn’t mean they won’t do it anyway….

That's ridiculous.

I work in a large pediatric practice (primarily frum people) and probably about 95% of parents do not give the Hep B vaccine at birth. That vaccine is appropriate for moms who are at high risk for being Hep B positive at birth, of which the frum moms are generally not.
My kids are fully vaccinated. I gave it at the 2 month well visit along with other vaccines.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:27 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
That's ridiculous.

I work in a large pediatric practice (primarily frum people) and probably about 95% of parents do not give the Hep B vaccine at birth. That vaccine is appropriate for moms who are at high risk for being Hep B positive at birth, of which the frum moms are generally not.
My kids are fully vaccinated. I gave it at the 2 month well visit along with other vaccines.

I think the poster you quoted was referring to eye drops and vitamin k injection. I know for a fact of women whose babies were given these two things even though they requested against them.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:28 am
OP, you’re 100% right.
With my oldest 12 years ago, I had no idea what I was doing so I just trusted the doctors. Now, we do our own research and I regret all the vaccines my children had as tiny little newborns for diseases for which they were not at risk. I wish I could do things over again.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How is a mom able to make an informed decision.
Everyone says do your research
But that’s very hard since you have info on both sides

Which vaccines are the most important
Which ones are really needed for school in NY.
And, why do babies need a vaccine for STD

Don’t say speak to your pediatrician, because I think by law they must push the vaccines or they lose their license

When my kids were babies the first vaccine was at 1 month old. And all health care providers said baby was protected from the mom’s immunology until then. More so if breast fed.

I didnt give her b in the hospital, I wanted to give it at 2 weeks.
Pediatrician advised me to wait until 2 months.
So yes, speak to your pediatrician.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:34 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
Seems like it would be a lot easier and more sensible to run a blood test on the mother rather than just willy nilly vax every baby for something that is largely unnecessary.

actually, a lot easier to vaccinate every baby then to run blood work on pregnant mom.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:36 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
actually, a lot easier to vaccinate every baby then to run blood work on pregnant mom.

That's like putting the whole population of the world on antibiotics just to make sure anyone with an infection gets it treated. Complete stupidity.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:41 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
That's like putting the whole population of the world on antibiotics just to make sure anyone with an infection gets it treated. Complete stupidity.

Not what I said.

What I said - was from a point of 'ease' , vaccinating all babies for Heb B is easier than doing blood work on the moms.

So if you are looking to make an argument against Heb B vaccines for babies - thats not it.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:49 am
Children with chronic hep B are allowed to attend daycare because transmission in that setting is rare so you don't have to worry about your child getting it there.
When the doctors tried to convince me to give it to my infant son they said I should give it because "he might want to join Hatzala". LOL
Frankly, anybody joining Hatzala or becoming a medical professional should not rely on their newborn immunization.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:51 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:

Why is it hard to run bloodwork on a pregnant or postpartum woman?

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:53 am
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
I think the poster you quoted was referring to eye drops and vitamin k injection. I know for a fact of women whose babies were given these two things even though they requested against them.

Not giving the vitamin K shot is child abuse.

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:53 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
It is offered because some mothers are Hep B positive and birth and nursing can transmit the infection to the baby. Hep B is often asymptomatic so these moms wouldn't necessarily know.

That's why it's offered in the hospital.

If mom is Hep B negative then there's no reason to give it so young.

But if you will be sending to childcare then you should give it anyways because it transfers by means of saliva as well and childcare is very unhygienic, from babies sharing pacis to not all providers washing their hands perfectly after every diaper change, etc.

Just wanted to correct the statement about Hep B transmission, it is NOT transmitted through saliva. It's bloodborne and via relations. Maybe you're thinking of Hep A.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How is a mom able to make an informed decision.
Everyone says do your research
But that’s very hard since you have info on both sides

Which vaccines are the most important
Which ones are really needed for school in NY.
And, why do babies need a vaccine for STD

Don’t say speak to your pediatrician, because I think by law they must push the vaccines or they lose their license

When my kids were babies the first vaccine was at 1 month old. And all health care providers said baby was protected from the mom’s immunology until then. More so if breast fed.

Evidence Based Birth is a great resource. In my experience it's very balanced. I'm pretty pro vaccine but I don't give the ointment eye drops to my kids anymore at birth.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:55 am
sarahmalka wrote:
Just wanted to correct the statement about Hep B transmission, it is NOT transmitted through saliva. It's bloodborne and via relations. Maybe you're thinking of Hep A.

No, I'm thinking of Hep B. That is what the leaflet they gave us in school said. We were one of the first grades of kids to get the Hep B shot in school. It specifically said that in dorm settings and other close settings Hep B is a risk due to sharing cups, kissing, etc.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:55 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
That's ridiculous.

It can be ridiculous, but I know plenty of people who have declined only to find out that the hospital vaccinated their baby anyway….

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:56 am
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
Evidence Based Birth is a great resource. In my experience it's very balanced. I'm pretty pro vaccine but I don't give the ointment eye drops to my kids anymore at birth.

She knows her stuff on some issues but is a complete ignoramus on others.

I wouldn't recommend her as a go-to site, at all.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:58 am
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
Why is it hard to run bloodwork on a pregnant or postpartum woman?

I didn't say that it was hard.

But vaccination is one jab and done.

Drawing blood, sending blood to lab, running the test, sending results back to doctor, reading the results... is more work.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:58 am

Funny some might say the opposite. It has a black box warning. It's not just a vitamin.

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:59 am
No, I'm thinking of Hep B. That is what the leaflet they gave us in school said. We were one of the first grades of kids to get the Hep B shot in school. It specifically said that in dorm settings and other close settings Hep B is a risk due to sharing cups, kissing, etc.

That is incorrect information from the school then. Are you positive the leaflet didn't say Hep A? That would make more sense. Please look on any website like Mayo Clinic or CDC or NIH to confirm what I am saying. For example https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/.....AQc04
Anyway sorry to derail OP's point. The administration of Hepatitis B vaccine to newborns is driven by public health policy rather than individual actual risk factors.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 9:59 am

Why? What is your evidence for this?

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:00 am

How on earth did you come to such a conclusion?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics