Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What is special about growing up in Lakewood?
1  2  3  Next

Birdee

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 2:42 pm
What would you say is special about growing up in Lakewood?

Asking because I am currently involved in a curriculum for Lakewood kids and I want to gain insight.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 2:58 pm
Lkwd is a really big place. I think kids around lkwd haven’t diff experience. Based on high or good type, community type.
I’d have a hard time defining something for every kid in lkwd

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:01 pm

Birdee

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:03 pm
Let's narrow it down to kids growing up around the Yeshiva, mainly with fathers who are learning there.

byisrael

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:04 pm
When I grew up it was living in a town where everyone is connected to yeshiva, but I don't think that is accurate anymore.

My gut response was "Torah Ugedula". In some communities you have pressue for gashmiyus, and wealth is valued, in other place Torah is the highest value and there are pressures related to that (push kids to hard, comparing to others...)
Lakewood is a unique place where everyone wants both, not realizing that for the Hamon Am one comes on the cheshbon of the other.

Lakewood is the only place I know off you will find kids learning mesilos yesharim in elementry school and have people clamoring to get in to such a school.

Guess where I went.

I doubt that's the answer you where looking for.

Birdee

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:04 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Is this a serious thing?
Because I would privately share some of the glaring issues but not interested publicly saying lashon harah with no toeles.

It is serious but I don't think I need to know the issues right now- thank you for being sensitive!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:06 pm
Birdee wrote:
Let's narrow it down to kids growing up around the Yeshiva, mainly with fathers who are learning there.

I don't think those people are on here. Based on where people said they send to school I think it's mostly the working crowd not based in the yeshiva area on here.

Birdee

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:07 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
I don't think those people are on here. Based on where people said they send to school I think it's mostly the working crowd not based in the yeshiva area on here.

Thanks for this- maybe people can just give me their impressions, based on their crowd?

amother
Clover

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:12 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:

I grew up in Lakewood with my father learning. I'm not so old.

What do you want to know? Happy to give my insights...

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:13 pm
Take a drive down Forest and Madison etc at 9am and you will be enveloped in the beauty of seeing so many bnei torah rushing off to learn.
This is a joy and drive that is palpable and enviable.
To grow up experiencing that day in day out is to know with absolute certainty that the torah is beautiful, real, and worth it.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:14 pm
Can you clarify what type of response you are looking for? I think the abundance of jewish everything makes it really easy to raise kids who are happy to be frum. Whatever they want to pursue there is a frum option for it from horse lessons, to art to gymnastics etc... there is also an abundance of tznius options and kosher food options. I find that to be a huge plus coming from an area that was really lacking and it was difficult to get hold of things we needed. Also the tremendous amount of shirurim, torah learning, and ruchniness, that is everywhere even out of the yeshiva area.

keym

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:14 pm
I don't know why.
Something strikes me as off. Making a curricular for kids that you don't really know their reality.

But I will say this. I'm very yeshivish. Send my kids to yeshivish schools.
By the time kids are in school (unless you're talking playgroup) there are not many who live in Yeshiva area. The truth is that the houses around yeshiva area are older families and not that many younger elementary.

My kids friends, my relatives, the people I know in Ohr Hatorah, Toras Menachem, Cheder, Toras Zev, Talmud Torah of Lakewood, Kamenetz. That type. Who's father's are still learning in BMG at least one full Seder, maybe also a Rebbi or tutor.
They live in Westgate, Lakewood Commons, the Prospect Developments, Jackson, and basements all around Lakewood.

The only experience that they all have in common is Robert's Chol Hamoed Carnival.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:15 pm
I think what you’re not understanding is that lakewood is a huge mix at this point similar to many other strong torahdik communities . So it’s not like there’s a specific lakewood experience in terms of how the kids grow up , and if you try to come up with one it will sound narrow and contrived .

amother
Clover

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:16 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Take a drive down Forest and Madison etc at 9am and you will be enveloped in the beauty of seeing so many bnei torah rushing off to learn.
This is a joy and drive that is palpable and enviable.
To grow up experiencing that day in day out is to know with absolute certainty that the torah is beautiful, real, and worth it.

This. That the whole yeshiva Lakewood is on the same schedule.
I only realized that this is not the regular when I went to Sem and we were talking about it.

Birdee

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:17 pm
keym wrote:
I don't know why.
Something strikes me as off. Making a curricular for kids that you don't really know their reality.

I understand this may seem off and that's why I tried to clarify the purpose. I do outsourced work for programs around the world and I try to get a better feel of the kids living there.

keym

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:22 pm
If you're looking for universal experience, then you can focus on the streets filled with the "round the calendar" circle of life.
You can feel the Yomim Tovim. The car cleaning ads for Pesach, the Build your sukka ads for Sukkos.
But that's not unique to Lakewood per SE.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:27 pm
Right like a few years ago every boy would relate to going to the erev succos shuk. Now most kids in lkwd have no clue what is.

keym

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:31 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
Right like a few years ago every boy would relate to going to the erev succos shuk. Now most kids in lkwd have no clue what is.

Nowadays, many kids may have no clue where THE (BMG) shul is. But there are dozens of smaller popup shuks all around town that they all know what a shul is.

Op, what age and gender is this curriculum for

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:46 pm
Birdee wrote:
What would you say is special about growing up in Lakewood?

Asking because I am currently involved in a curriculum for Lakewood kids and I want to gain insight.

I sure hope you aren't making this a part of the curriculum. It would just breed snobbery and arrogance towards those who live elsewhere.

As I once heard Rav Shmuel Blech put it "Your address can be in Lakewood but you live in the most sordid of all places. Or your address can be in the most sordid of all places but you live in the world of Torah"

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jun 22 2022, 3:49 pm
The kids are all raised with a strong sense of proudness for what their community/lifestyle represents.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries