Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Starting a business--Need help!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:11 pm
I am IYH working on starting a business. Without getting into too much detail, I will be teaching an online course. The audience is somewhat limited as it's really focused on the frum community. Think for example: a cake decorating series for frum teenage girls all over the world.

I've spoken to many people and I really do believe that my idea is unique and I am hopeful that people will pay for it!

Questions:

1) How and where to advertise this course? I am very opposed to social media (this was even before the asifa!) but don't know exactly how to reach frum families around the world on a tight budget. I would think a magazine like Mishpacha, Ami etc would be a great advertising option but I just don't have the money for that. Any ideas (either in or out of the box) of how to reach a wide audience? My Rav indicated that some people hire others to create instagram accounts for them but I'm hesitant. Also, I'm not really sure what instagram would do for me. I don't have an ongoing story. I have my course with its limited but useful content. What am I advertising on instagram?

2) I know that most online sales websites offer freebies I.e. free downloads, free classes, etc to get their audience hooked. In this case, I have a good grasp of the material (for example, cake decorating) but I am by no means an expert and the amount of content that I have is already somewhat limited because of this. Once I start offering freebies, it really takes away from the paid content.

Also, is there a forum anywhere for frum business owners?

Thank you!

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:15 pm
You can pm me for some resources
Also check out https://www.shalvarosenberg.com/

Last edited by mushkamothers on Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Clear

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:18 pm
What kind of audience are you targeting?

How about advertising on between carpools or something like that?

mha3484

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:21 pm
Most communities have email blasts I get emails all the time about this type of thing.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:21 pm
amother [ Clear ] wrote:
What kind of audience are you targeting?

How about advertising on between carpools or something like that?

So it's a universal course (universal is an ironic way of putting it because only frum people would appreciate it-but it transcends levels of frumkeit)

I was thinking about Between Carpools. Thank you for that idea.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:22 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Most communities have email blasts I get emails all the time about this type of thing.

Official or unofficial? And how do I find them?

mha3484

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:25 pm
If you want to advertise in Chicago I can give you email addresses. PM me.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:26 pm
kgh yahoo group
five towns shul yahoo group
darchei data

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 8:51 pm
If it's an online course, I think you should put together a free mini course video as part of your advertising so people can see what it's all about.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sat, Jun 25 2022, 9:23 pm
Wouldn’t imamother be the perfect audience? It’s strange that you use it as a medium but don’t consider that option.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 4:49 am
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
Wouldn’t imamother be the perfect audience? It’s strange that you use it as a medium but don’t consider that option.

She did say she's doesn't want to spend.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 6:05 am
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
She did say she's doesn't want to spend.

Is Between Carpools free?

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 7:52 am

I paid here for an ad advertising my free webinar

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:06 am
This is how I would promote it. Give afew loudmouths a better deal or exceptional service. Or maybe give a early bird sign up discount…

And they will brag about it and people will hear that way.

Where I live there is a shitle macher on every corner. It can be hard to be “known” because many of them have heavy advertising.
There’s one I use that doesn’t advertise at all. But she’s popular because people ask me “wow! Your wig looks so nice! Who does it?” and I say her name and I go on and on about her excellent service. And I send her a-few people that way and other people send her a-few people that way ect..

And it’s not like she tells me to promote her. She just goes above and beyond to make sure client is 110% happy. If something doesn’t look right she’ll reset for free. And I brag about my good fortune of having her to my friends and they tell their friends ect.

And that I think is the best advertising Smile

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

1) How and where to advertise this course? I am very opposed to social media (this was even before the asifa!) but don't know exactly how to reach frum families around the world on a tight budget. I would think a magazine like Mishpacha, Ami etc would be a great advertising option but I just don't have the money for that. Any ideas (either in or out of the box) of how to reach a wide audience? My Rav indicated that some people hire others to create instagram accounts for them but I'm hesitant. Also, I'm not really sure what instagram would do for me. I don't have an ongoing story. I have my course with its limited but useful content. What am I advertising on instagram?

I know you're hesitant about social media, but perhaps first have a discussion with an IG advisor or other social media expert before you discount it. If you're not trying to shell out big money, social media offers a low cost and continuing platform where to reach customers. For example, if you offer an incentive for people to follow you, you have a ready audience without add'l cost for when you want to announce a new series starting soon, or new course, or whatever.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:37 pm
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
If it's an online course, I think you should put together a free mini course video as part of your advertising so people can see what it's all about.

That's the problem. If I put together a mini course video, that takes away from some of my paid content. And I don't have tons and tons of content. I mean, I can teach my cake decorating but I'm not the worlds biggest expert in this area. So my 10 week course now becomes 9 weeks because what I would have taught in week 1 is given for free. And I'm already operating on a slim profit margin.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:37 pm

I'm open to imamother. I'm really just trying to gauge where I will get the most bang for my (very very limited) buck.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:40 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
I know you're hesitant about social media, but perhaps first have a discussion with an IG advisor or other social media expert before you discount it. If you're not trying to shell out big money, social media offers a low cost and continuing platform where to reach customers. For example, if you offer an incentive for people to follow you, you have a ready audience without add'l cost for when you want to announce a new series starting soon, or new course, or whatever.

I guess I'm still confused how something like IG can help me. I have 1 course, my 10 part cake decorating course. That's it. I'm not an expert in the subject and I won't be offering follow ups or additional series. The point is to offer a very good course that will sell itself to different people.
What are people following me for on IG?

Is this unrealistic?

sunspot

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 4:54 am
As an experienced course creator I want to chime in:

You mention that you are not expert enough in that you do not have enough content to create a mini free course so people can get a taste, learn something--and them be convinced to buy the course to learn more.

Not to be harsh--maybe you are not ready to sell a course then.

You should have more than enough content that can be repurposed in different ways and able to talk about your subject for free so people can get to know your expertise.

You should get people on your waiting list and send them value packed emails.

If you cannot share value before selling the course (because you feel you are not an expert so do not have alot of content)--not sure you are the right person to teach it

Loves Life

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:13 pm
Hi,

Your course sounds really interesting! What are the details and how can we find out about it?
I’m also starting a new business so these tips were really helpful!

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics