Home

Prepared food - Chabad
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:25 pm
I'm kicking myself for not clarifying prices. I reached out for dinners to be prepared for our family of 5. I said we had kids. I just received the total and it was over 1000 dollars for 4 nights of dinners (20 meals). Is that standard for a vacation area?
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:27 pm
Yes. I’m sorry.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:31 pm
tichellady wrote:
Yes. I’m sorry.

I'm going to throw up. My husband is so angry with me.
Back to top

amother




NeonBlue
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:31 pm
Depending where keep in mind they themselves have minimal
Access to kosher meat and chicken and cheese. Plus it’s usually the Rebbetzin herself cooking.

(Hope it’s tasty!)
Back to top

amother




Copper
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:35 pm
What's done is done.
Hope this doesn't ruin your vacation. Hopefully, your husband will calm down and realize it wasn't a deliberate oversight on your part.
You'll know for next time and plan accordingly. Most people I know bring food along and plan at most to eat maybe 1 meal out/buy prepared. Especially in a vacation spot far from a larger frum area, take out will always be expensive and overpriced in comparison.
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:37 pm
The homemade food that Chabad makes for travelers tends to be expensive. This is a stretch but maybe ask a Rav if a portion of the cost can come from maaser because you wouldn't have spent if you knew the price and it will be going to benefit their Chabad House.
Back to top

amother




Midnight
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:39 pm
Wow, I'm so sorry for you! I'd also be mortified to pay that much for 4 meals!
This price is normal if it was a full 5 course, high standard meal. Was it?

I had a similar experience once. So I feel so so bad for you!
please remember that these unexpected expenses were meant to be yours, directly from up above. BH it went for a meal and not for a doctor etc
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm going to throw up. My husband is so angry with me.


Hopefully he will calm down. These things happen. You are only human.
Back to top

rmbg




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:48 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Wow, I'm so sorry for you! I'd also be mortified to pay that much for 4 meals!
This price is normal if it was a full 5 course, high standard meal. Was it?

I had a similar experience once. So I feel so so bad for you!
please remember that these unexpected expenses were meant to be yours, directly from up above. BH it went for a meal and not for a doctor etc


Keep in mind that the food costs much more than in town. They need to import everything! They need extra fridges and freezers. That costs a lot to run! Plus the rebbetzin herself needs to cook it or hire someone else to do it! How cheap can she make it? Think realistically...
Back to top

rmbg




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm kicking myself for not clarifying prices. I reached out for dinners to be prepared for our family of 5. I said we had kids. I just received the total and it was over 1000 dollars for 4 nights of dinners (20 meals). Is that standard for a vacation area?


$50/meal in a vacation spot is a great deal!
Back to top

amother




Midnight
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:50 pm
rmbg wrote:
Keep in mind that the food costs much more than in town. They need to import everything! They need extra fridges and freezers. That costs a lot to run! Plus the rebbetzin herself needs to cook it or hire someone else to do it! How cheap can she make it? Think realistically...
Thanks for pointing it out! You're right.
Back to top

out-of-towner




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:56 pm
Also this is one way for many Shluchim to help sustain themselves financially. There's a common misconception that Shluchim are supported financially by the head offices in Crown Heights. This is incorrect. Shluchim need to do their own fundraising in order to be able to do all of the outreach programs that they do. So providing a service to Frum families on vacation isn't just a nice thing they do, it's a way to sustain themselves financially. AYLOR if a portion of that money could come out of Maaser as it helps to support a family of Shluchim to spread Yiddishkeit.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 3:46 pm
I certainly can understand that this helps supports the Chabad house. I guess I was so surprised cause when we were at in laws and they ordered from Chabad the meals were appx 20/piece but in a central Jewish location. We aren't at a luxurious location. Think something like a random place near Canada etc near a lake. The closest kosher community is appx 2.5-3hrs away. I feel better that I asked.
Back to top

amother




Ginger
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 3:49 pm
Random place is always more expensive harder to get ingredients etc and all from scratch.
Usually we are just thrilled when we can even get anything prepared
Back to top

amother




Khaki
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 3:54 pm
It's a lot to swallow, but yes, typical. Are you already committed? Is there any other option? Maybe have dinners delivered 2 nights and make PBJ or tuna sandwiches the other nights?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 7:22 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
It's a lot to swallow, but yes, typical. Are you already committed? Is there any other option? Maybe have dinners delivered 2 nights and make PBJ or tuna sandwiches the other nights?

I was so shocked but it seemed she cooked everything today for us. When she said 20 meals it seems like a lot of food but really it was a few half pans of 4 different dinners...
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:24 pm
.

Last edited by essie14 on Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Silver
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:29 pm
essie14 wrote:
$10 per person per meal is cheap!
I think you got a great deal.
Maybe it feels like a lot because you're paying in 1 chunk. If you were going out to a restaurant every day for every meal it wouldn't feel like a lot.


It's $50 a meal per person.
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:41 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
It's $50 a meal per person.

Oh I saw she wrote 20 meals.
Sorry. You're right.
$250 per dinner for the family.
That's about right in a remote place.
OP, what's done is done. You'll know for next time to bring along more of your own food.
Enjoy your vacation!
Back to top

amother




Midnight
 

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was so shocked but it seemed she cooked everything today for us. When she said 20 meals it seems like a lot of food but really it was a few half pans of 4 different dinners...
So sorry once again!
I really feel for you!!
So it wasn't even a full course meal?? So what is she charging for? some chicken and green beans?
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Late minyanim and kosher food in lakewood?
by amother
4 Yesterday at 6:53 pm View last post
Affordable food storage containers
by amother
9 Yesterday at 11:37 am View last post
Food Boxes-Menus only
by mamaleh
7 Yesterday at 10:55 am View last post
Is it unhealthy to have catered food every Shabbos?
by amother
18 Yesterday at 10:08 am View last post
Brooklyn Food Boxes-Please!!!
by amother
62 Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:29 pm View last post