Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dairy allergy?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 12:34 pm
My seven month old has eaten yogurt a few times with no problems. I was feeding her this morning and she wanted to feed herself. She was wearing only a diaper and got some on her chest. When I wiped it off her skin was red underneath where the yogurt had been. Could it be a diary allergy? And why would her skin react but not her tummy? Thanks

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 12:37 pm
Sorry if this is stupid, but was the yogurt strawberry or raspberry or something that may have left the coloring behind and it's not a rash at all? (Or could you just have rubbed too hard)?

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 12:39 pm
Sometimes one of the ingredients can irritate the skin even if it's not a food allergy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 12:45 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
Sorry if this is stupid, but was the yogurt strawberry or raspberry or something that may have left the coloring behind and it's not a rash at all?

Nope, regular plain yogurt.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 12:50 pm
You could try your own skin test, put a big blotch of yogurt on some area of skin and leave it there for a few minutes (maybe do it while baby is sleeping) then see what it looks like

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 12:56 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
You could try your own skin test, put a big blotch of yogurt on some area of skin and leave it there for a few minutes (maybe do it while baby is sleeping) then see what it looks like

This can tell you if there's a sensitivity, not if there's an allergy.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 1:22 pm
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
This can tell you if there's a sensitivity, not if there's an allergy.

She said baby’s eaten yogurt many times without a problem, only concern was possible direct skin contact irritation. FWIW I think it’s highly unlikely, if anything the skin got red from being rubbed to wipe it off. I figured this little test would prove it was nothing.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 2:46 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
She said baby’s eaten yogurt many times without a problem, only concern was possible direct skin contact irritation. FWIW I think it’s highly unlikely, if anything the skin got red from being rubbed to wipe it off. I figured this little test would prove it was nothing.

It's not uncommon for babies skin to get irritated from certain foods sitting on it. It's probably not nothing, but also not indicative of an allergy.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 3:13 pm
I think you’re taking this way more seriously than I’m taking it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics