Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
To boost now or closer to travel?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 3:45 am
I live in Australia where I've just become eligible for a fourth booster. (My last vaccine was nearly half a year ago, so probably wore off.) There's covid all over our community (I haven't had it yet afaik) but we have international travel planned for October.

Should I wait until closer to travel to boost so that I reduce my chances of getting it prior to/during travel? If so, how soon in advance of travel should I schedule my appointment for the best chance that I'll be positively impacted over my trip?

Note: I'm aware that people have strong opinions about whether or not to vaccinate or boost. This thread is specifically about when I should personally boost (and I will, that's not a question, so I'm not asking anyone if I should boost). If you feel the need to state your opinion about other issues unrelated to my personal question, please start another thread where likeminded folk will be happy to engage you. Thank you!

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:09 am
I would think doing it now would still leave you well covered for your trip, it’s within three months. You should really ask your doctor for opinion on this.

English3

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:40 am
Mant people after getting the vaccine actually test positive from the vaccine without symptoms. Personally, if you care about your body more than your trip then dont do it but its your choice.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:44 am
English3 wrote:
Mant people after getting the vaccine actually test positive from the vaccine without symptoms. Personally, if you care about your body more than your trip then dont do it but its your choice.

I don't think that's possible with mRNA vaccines, and if it's technically possible, is actually highly unlikely.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:46 am
It takes a few weeks for the immunity to kick in, so you need to balance getting the most effective use of your booster vaccine versus giving it enough time to activate. Recent reports (at least in the US) are saying that new variants may be better at evading immunity so definitely check with a doctor or public health professional in your area for guidance on timing the shot. Good luck and safe travels.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:46 am
Since there's a lot of COVID going around now in your area, I would get boosted sooner rather than later.

If the COVID rates were low in your area now, I might wait a bit closer to the trip.

English3

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:47 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I don't think that's possible with mRNA vaccines, and if it's technically possible, is actually highly unlikely.

I was told this from my doctor, before I travelled.

English3

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:49 am
If there is covid going around and you catch it you will be positive, the vaccine doesn't prevent infection max it prevents it from getting bad. it wont protect from the virus it has been verifyed clearly through omicron

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:26 am
Are the people who are getting covid in your community vaccinated?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:33 am
Boost now so that you can get the fifth booster too. The more boosters you get the more likely you won’t catch covid ever. Also more boosters can curb the spread

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:35 am
I know a few people who caught Covid very soon after their booster. There is some talk that the vaccine knocks your immune system down a few levels in the short term so that may be why.
I would get it sooner rather than later so that if you do get sick you can get it over with now hopefully

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 3:56 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
I know a few people who caught Covid very soon after their booster. There is some talk that the vaccine knocks your immune system down a few levels in the short term so that may be why.
I would get it sooner rather than later so that if you do get sick you can get it over with now hopefully

Get the covid vaccine so you can get covid faster... Banging head

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 4:01 pm
I will give you a response based on being someone who has had her fourth booster AND all of my friends and family have had their fourth boosters.

I would get it as soon as possible as it will take at least two weeks for you to get full safety.

I am not sure which variant is currently in Australia but the latest incarnation in the US is more contagious than the previous and the viral load appears to be higher in the lungs which means it potentially could cause a more serious case.

How transmissible are BA.4/5?
We measure how contagious a disease is by the basic reproduction number (R0). This is the average number of people an initial case infects in a population with no immunity (from vaccines or previous infection).
New mutations give the virus an advantage if they can increase transmissibility:
• the original Wuhan strain has an R0 of 3.3
• Delta has an R0 of 5.1
• Omicron BA.1 has an R0 of 9.5
• BA.2, which is the dominant subvariant in Australia at the moment, is 1.4 times more transmissible than BA.1, and so has an R0 of about 13.3
• a pre-print publication from South Africa suggests BA.4/5 has a growth advantage over BA.2 similar to the growth advantage of BA.2 over BA.1. That would give it an R0 of 18.6.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 5:39 pm
Without judging your position I will answer your question.

The latest data is there are 3 concurrent strains of omicron circulating. All 3 escape the alpha strain based injection induced immunity, aka, the shot will currently do 0 for you (thank you data from pro vax youtube dr been.)

Soon they plan to place a cocktail of more recent strains into the formula. At least then you might gain something from taking it.

So imo, wait until it is updated.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:04 pm
Hashem Yerachem

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 9:04 pm
I’ll try ignore all the rude and sarcastic comments that op specifically said NOT to give (I mean really if someone says I want an orange where can I buy it why would say never eat oranges only buy apples! Pathetic!)

Op I would say do it now. This gives you time to gain immunity, if you do catch it from your community even right before you travel you won’t get it bad at all and this way you’ll feel fine for traveling.

I got my 3rd shot and only knew I hd covid because I had to test for work. Would not have known otherwise. Several of my family members however didn’t take the vaccine and were sick in bed for 10+ days.

Safe travels and feel good.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 2:08 am
Thanks all! I thought I would wait but now I'm considering getting it earlier. My main goal is to minimise the chances of getting it just before flying, on the plane, or while we're visiting. I'm wondering if getting vaxxed too soon will increase the chances of getting covid at a less convenient time. It's now around 3 months prior to travel.

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 2:11 am
Boost now and boost again before you fly. Then boost when you come back.

/sarcasm

sequoia

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 4:40 am
What do you all gain from being rude?

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 11:56 am
sequoia wrote:
What do you all gain from being rude?

Perhaps to stand up to supporters of a completely non working vaccine which has proven to have deadly side effects but is being forced upon each of us and our little babies?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics