Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How much is normal to spend on backpack for high school?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 10:30 pm
Dd is going into 9th grade and told me she “needs” to get a trendy backpack. Fine, I have no problem with that. But the backpacks that she insists are “in style” (LuluLemon, Marc Jacobs, Kipling, etc) cost $100! I think that’s a ridiculous amount to spend; I was envisioning closer to $50/60 (not to mention that those backpacks are tiny! And look so junky). Am I out of the loop for not spending that much for her, or is she just being a teenager?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 10:34 pm
Look. If you can afford it, buy it for her. It's hard enough being a teenage girl without making a fuss for the extra 40 dollars.
If the extra money is really too difficult for you, ask her to chip in.
Yes, these things are ridiculous. But it's not a very difficult one that's worth sticking your feet in for.

gr82no

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 11:05 pm
I don’t know how much is normal but having an in style backpack is extremely important to a ninth grader. It helps her be “in” and look good. It will help her feel part of the group.

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 11:08 pm
This is probably school-specific.

Thankfully there are no such major trends where DD is going to school. I bought her a $30 backpack and she is thrilled. (I bought my elementary kids $5 Walmart backpacks lol.)

I would happily have spent $60 for an LLBean backpack, considering that mine from high school is still in fairly decent shape. If the $100 ones are likely to last through high school, I think it is a fair investment. If they are one-year backpacks I'd probably make DD pay the difference.

workout geek

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 11:11 pm
If she will do a Kipling backpack then you can get on sale. Here is one that was 109$ on sale for 57$. https://m.kohls.com/product/pr.....aw.ds
My daughter used a Kipling for all 3 years if middle school and it is still in great condition.

Mayflower

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 11:43 pm
I don't know about the other brands, but kipling are great quality and last forever (of until your dd gets bored of it, that is...). I second getting one on sale.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:02 am
Is Kipling still in style?
And appropriate for 9th grade?!

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:05 am
All three brands are high quality and will likely last through several years of high school. I use the price per use calculation to justify the cost of a more expensive bag. If you spend 50$ on a Shabbos skirt that she will wear maybe 50 times, then 100$ for a bag that will be used hundreds of times is very cost effective. Get her the bag of her dreams and sweeten the start of what will iy''h be a wonderful period in her life.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:34 am
Where I live, (NY) Kipling is not for high school. LuluLemon is very popular, but more for the fanny packs and the tote bags (which you can get free with purchase at the store. My daughter really wanted the tote bag for her lunch and other small items, so I took her to the store and bought her a scrunchie and got the bag.) Lots of the girls here have Herschel backpacks which are a bit larger and more suitable for school, in my opinion.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:35 am
Best to speak to a mother on your daughter’s school.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:44 am
Where I live kipling is in for 6th, 7th, 8th graders and I told my girls I'd buy them kipling as long as they wear them for two or three years. I found I was buying 50 or 60 dollar backpacks every single year because the straps broke etc, but sure enough the kipling ones lasted in near perfect condition for years! I can't vouch for the other brands but Kipling is a very solid buy and well worth the money in the long run.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 2:02 am

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 5:26 am
What backpack are super in style this year? My daughter also needs one. What’s the latest brand besides Kipling are they wearing ?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 8:58 am
Kiplings have been out of style in Lakewood for several years already. My oldest DD had a kipling backpack that she used from grades 5 to 8, and it's still in perfect condition. Ditto for next DD. They use them now as travel backpacks. Those things never seem to wear out! But my youngest ditched her Kipling as out-of-style a long time ago.

(for 7th and 8th grade it was Hershel....OK I didn't sweat over the $30 it cost. Now she wants a Lululemon, and I am not sponsoring it. Her aunt is (she babysits for them alot on school off days, and apparently has some sort of arrangement with them about this. Not getting involved.))

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 9:04 am
Girls high school principal chiming here (also parent of several hs age girls!):
Fitting in is paramount to a ninth grader. If you cannot afford the backpack (it is expensive!) ask her to chip in a bit (if she has the means). This IS a big deal to a ninth grader.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 9:28 am
So let’s post the most trendy backpacks

Lululemon
Herschel

Please add the newest brands

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 9:30 am
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
Girls high school principal chiming here (also parent of several hs age girls!):
Fitting in is paramount to a ninth grader. If you cannot afford the backpack (it is expensive!) ask her to chip in a bit (if she has the means). This IS a big deal to a ninth grader.

Thank you for the honesty! Any other big deal thing for any age high school girls that we as parents shouldn’t skimp on?

Jello

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 9:32 am
My deal with my girls is, I can buy an expensive backpack for you, but you don't get another for two years at the very least. Some of them decide they'd rather have a new one yearly (inexpensive), and others decide they want the expensive one. Usually they use the expensive one for three or four years, though.

LK1

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 9:39 am
Following this. I have a girl going into 9th grade as well.
She doesn't specifically need a name, but something that looks cool and in style.

Did anyone see anything on sale?

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 9:46 am
I think if it's important to her you should discuss it with her how you can make it happen. Brainstorm with her. You can let her know that even though you think it's quite expensive, you see that it is important for her.

Some ideas: either you can get it for her. Maybe you can pay a part and let her chip in the rest. if you get birthday gifts or chanuka gifts, ask her if she wants you to get this for her instead. Is there any place that you spend extra on her that you can ask her if she'd rather you forgo that and you get her this? Is there any way she can earn it from you, doing extra babysitting...

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Either you get it for her or you don't... You can have a conversation about it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children