Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Sick in bed, need company. Say Hi!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 3:29 pm
Fab4 wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/EhaxGlv.jpg
Read this

I'm not fasting.
My baby is under 24 months, but regardless I don't think I would've.

I cant see the link with my filter.
What does it say?

4g01o

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 3:35 pm
Rabbi Zimmerman :

People in these categories must NOT fast

Those that are unwell at all or suffering from long covid

Pregnant women

Nursing women

People who's health is generally not good

Women with kids under the age of 24 months

Those over 70

Young kids even if they're over bar/bas mitzvah, if they're struggling they can break fast.

4g01o

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 3:38 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
Oh wow I heard london is gonna be super hot.

Bh bh my work just had AC installed. Its a lifesave. Im leaving in a few weeks and I hope hope hope my new job will have AC.

I dont know what were going to do the whole fast day and mon and tues... TMI

I guess stay in a paddling pool or something? I really hope that your new work has AC. Most work places do.

I plan to camp out downstairs with the AC on all night, with my baby for sure and anyone else who wants to join in Smile I'm sure my dh and my other kids will join. It gets like a sauna upstairs, we each have a fan but it won't do anything for us next week.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 3:39 pm
I cant see the link with my filter.
What does it say?

It's a letter from the federation saying because of the hot weather some people may not fast, including anyone whose given birth in last 24 months.

I'm not fasting either and I've told my teens they can't fast either. I don't think dh will fast the whole way. None of us fast well, and I do have a baby so I wouldn't have fasted anyway.

The forecast for next week is 37°! I'm petrified even though I have air conditioning at home and at work. One of my kids school doesn't have air conditioning and I'm debating whether to send them especially since they walk to and from.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 3:41 pm
Fab4 wrote:
Rabbi Zimmerman :

People in these categories must NOT fast

Those that are unwell at all or suffering from long covid

Pregnant women

Nursing women

People who's health is generally not good

Women with kids under the age of 24 months

Those over 70

Young kids even if they're over bar/bas mitzvah, if they're struggling they can break fast.

Yes, I saw that.

Im not fasting either.

Dont know if its ok to do paddling pool on fast day...?

4g01o

amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
It's a letter from the federation saying because of the hot weather some people may not fast, including anyone whose given birth in last 24 months.

I'm not fasting either and I've told my teens they can't fast either. I don't think dh will fast the whole way. None of us fast well, and I do have a baby so I wouldn't have fasted anyway.

The forecast for next week is 37°! I'm petrified even though I have air conditioning at home and at work. One of my kids school doesn't have air conditioning and I'm debating whether to send them especially since they walk to and from.

I really wouldn't send them to school without AC plus the walking...

4g01o

Yes, I saw that.

Im not fasting either.

Dont know if its ok to do paddling pool on fast day...?

Oh your right, probably not Sad

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 3:46 pm
Fab4 wrote:
I guess stay in a paddling pool or something? I really hope that your new work has AC. Most work places do.

I plan to camp out downstairs with the AC on all night, with my baby for sure and anyone else who wants to join in Smile I'm sure my dh and my other kids will join. It gets like a sauna upstairs, we each have a fan but it won't do anything for us next week.

I was thinking same, all the kids can sleep downstairs and the baby can come to our room where we have ac. Question is what time will they get to sleep and how will I get them up for school. Then il need to shlep all the covers and pillows back up I dont want to see

4g01o

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 3:55 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
I was thinking same, all the kids can sleep downstairs and the baby can come to our room where we have ac. Question is what time will they get to sleep and how will I get them up for school. Then il need to shlep all the covers and pillows back up I dont want to see

I know it's not ideal, but we may not have a choice. The kids won't sleep at all upstairs either.
I wish we had in our bedroom too.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:02 pm
Any ideas if you dont have Ac?

Iv ordered fans but our upstairs gets soo hot ..

Dining room is cooler but we have a back door that Im not comfortable leaving open..

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:26 pm
Any ideas if you dont have Ac?

Iv ordered fans but our upstairs gets soo hot ..

Dining room is cooler but we have a back door that Im not comfortable leaving open..

Some things I used to do when I lived in Israel without ac, and was pregnant!
Wet a small towel and put it under your feet in bed, it cools down the whole body
Eat an ice lolly at the same time, in bed. Cools you even further
Get up every so often to wash your face and neck with cold water

My bedroom is in the loft and it's brutal.

For daytime I'd keep the doors and windows open as much as your comfortable but keep the blinds down. See if you can go out and go somewhere with ac. I've invited my family over for Monday and Tuesday to hang out. Either that, or stay home if possible. Do you have a garden? Can you put out a sprinkler and sit under it?

Truthfully though in this weather whatever you do, you'll be hot.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:27 pm
Duplicate

life is fun

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:37 pm
Leaving curtains/blinds half closed keeps the sun from heating the rooms.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:43 pm
Sleep with a damp sheet and put fans blowing on you.

But seriously, can I ask WHY people in the UK don't have AC? I get that the houses are generally old... But old house have windows, and windows can hold window unit ACs... and stores sell ACs... So why isn't the math adding up? Why don't people have AC???

I'm literally just shocked every time I think of this. It seems so arcane and archaic.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:46 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:

But seriously, can I ask WHY people in the UK don't have AC? I get that it's old houses, and old house have windows, and windows can hold window unit ACs... and stores sell ACs... So why isn't the math adding up? Why don't people have AC???

I'm literally just shocked every time I think of this. It seems so arcane and archaic.

Probably about 1 weeks worth of real hot weather in the UK the whole summer.
But yes it is v hard on those days.
I love in Manchester which is more north.
London down south is always quite a few degrees hotter.

The last hot day we traveled to a beach an hour away and it was soo much cooler, nearer to the sea temp is always lower.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 4:49 pm
So the summer time is generally comfortable? Like, no shvitzing comfortable? That's nice.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 5:02 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
So the summer time is generally comfortable? Like, no shvitzing comfortable? That's nice.

I wouldn't say that. I live in London and have always had ac and I use it often every summer, definitely more than just 1 week. I wouldn't call the rest of the summer comfortable, it's either humid, too cold for summer clothes, or raining lol
People have been putting in air conditioning in the last 15-20 years or so, before that it really was unheard of. But yes I still know plenty people without ac.
Central air con in homes isn't such a thing here unless its a new build, most people have units for each / some rooms, or a portable air con. Window units don't seem to exist here at all I've only ever seen it in Israel, I'm not sure why.

Aurora

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 5:06 pm
I don't remember the source, but I have heard it can be permitted to go in a wading pool for heat on a fast day. I really suggest asking your rabbi.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 5:42 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:

But seriously, can I ask WHY people in the UK don't have AC? I get that the houses are generally old... But old house have windows, and windows can hold window unit ACs... and stores sell ACs... So why isn't the math adding up? Why don't people have AC???

Those don't exist here in the UK.
People install split systems or have portable air conditioners. Otherwise they have to resort to fans.

4g01o

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 8:46 pm
The summers here are mostly nice and comfortable bH, but our £1600 air con unit, whilst a lot of money, is worth every penny and used tons in the summer. We have it on a timer for shabbos if we know it'll be hot.

People just can't afford it, they say they'll manage for the few hot days here and there. Everyone has AC in their cars though.
All the stores have so people do get a break from the heat if they need. Or they sit in their cars lol!
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics