Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Kitchen Counter Edge Profiles

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 7:01 pm
Does anyone have 3cm worktops with ogee edging? I really want ogee but I'm afraid it will make the stone look thin. Would a straight edge make the edge look thicker?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 7:03 pm
Basically I want a luxurious looking kitchen. In a way ogee is luxurious because it is fancier, but if straight edge makes the marble look thicker then maybe that looks richer.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 7:08 pm
Ogee is definitely a fancier look.

I don't think it will look thin but are you really getting marble? Marble chips easily.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:19 pm
I have something like Ogee for my bathroom counters although it is a variation so not sure what it is called.

Mine are marble and they don't look thin. All stone counters are constructed so that they look "thicker" than the stone actually is - I think it is called mitering but I am too lazy to look it up to confirm.

I don't know if I would call Ogee "luxurious" as it is a specific style and very traditional looking which is what I wanted in my bathrooms. There are "luxurious" looking kitchens that are contemporary or modern as well. Does Ogee go with the style of your kitchen. What are your other design choices in terms of finishes.

Marble has certain upkeep problems but it is not more prone to chipping than quartz or granite. My friend has Carrarra marble in her kitchen and it was installed about 15 years ago and still looks beautiful. She isn't fastidious at all and actually had the leftover marble made into her kitchen table which is used without any kind of precautions. People talk about marble "etching" but that isn't a horrible thing the way it sounds. It is when the shine has worn off in a place but in my experience etching isn't very noticeable because I could only see where some etching had occurred when the sunlight hit the spot and I squinted. In normal use it isn't noticeable and it isn't the stone pitting or whatever. If people called it a patina it would sound desirable - old counters in ice cream shops, bistros and bars that have marble counters all are "etched".

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:24 pm
It's "fancier" in a traditional kitchen, but not as stylish for a modern kitchen. What look are you going for?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics