Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Need Help with Upsherin Ideas!!!
1  2  Next

y2kmommy

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 1:12 pm
My son's upsherin is this January. His Hebrew birthday falls on a Sunday night/Monday. I thought of having his upsherin on Sunday night and taking him to his Rebbe on the Monday, but I'm worried that it may turn into an 'adult' party and he'll miss out on the fun!! Should I postpone the party until the following Sunday?? And - any ideas about cakes (my husband doesn't want the tzitzis one!!).

Thanks a bunch!!

shayna82

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 1:16 pm
a torah cake, or a yarmulka

y2kmommy

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 1:23 pm
How would I make a torah cake? I love the idea -- but how would I make it look like it was for an upsherin and not a bar mitzva? This is an amazing idea!! Thanks for replying SO fast!!!

shayna82

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 1:27 pm
I dont think you have to do anythig different to make it look like an upsherin.. I dont know how to make it,but if oyu ask around surely someone can help you.. im assuming its just a regular cake batter.. but youll need someoe to help u actually make the torha shape.. (if yu dont know how)
I might end up doing this too, next august for mine! iyh

good luck

tzivi

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 2:10 pm
A friend made her son's opshernish recently and she had a very cute activity for the children...
Decorating small pushkas.

They coloured in a "tzedokoh" paper and stuck it onto the pushka.

My children had a ball!

shopaholic

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 8:49 am
Someone told me that she made a yarmulka cake by baking the cake in a large metal mixing bowl. I bought the Wilton open book cake pan & decorated the cake with alef beis letters & other decorations.

Good Luck!

hadasa

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 10:48 am
idea for Torah cake : A rectangular cake with two jelly rolls on the sides

realeez

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 5:41 pm
I did the tzitzis cake for my first ds. for my 2nd one I plan to make a torah cake using 2 jelly roll cakes and a square. I want to write on it "tov li toras picha me'alphei zahav vachesef" and put gold & silver choc coins all over the table.
I've see cute alef bais trains using loaf pans.
for my first I made a small yarmulka cake using a bowl. I also made alef bais shaped cookies and baked them on lollypop sticks.

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:09 pm
Tzivi - what were the pushkas that the paper was glued onto? I think this is a great idea and might do it for my son's upsherin. Smile

ASinger

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 7:15 pm
I've seen very cute a Mitzvah train cake- with the main car and then 2 other ones attached with perhaps skinny licorice conneting the wheels (maybe cookies attached to the cake) etc...

tzivi

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 7:27 pm
Meema2Kids wrote:
Tzivi - what were the pushkas that the paper was glued onto? I think this is a great idea and might do it for my son's upsherin. Smile

I think they were made out of cardboard.

micki

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 7:35 pm
our upshern is on chanuka so I am making a cake in the shape of a driedl with tzitzis coming out of the corners.
I like the decorating pushkas things maybe we'll so that.

you can also decorate the torah cake with alef bais .
maybe I'll put a pic of a train that I once made with clowns if I can figure out how...

imaof7

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 8:35 pm
I made tzitzis party bags out of white lunch bags,chocolate parve lollypops kipas, tzitzis from molds I bought in CH. also had a clown to keep it for kids, torah cake at one mitzvah train at another for a cake.

Milk Munch

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 7:18 pm
For my sons upshernish I wanted to have an activity also. I found a website called Just for the mitzva and I ordered a bunch of little projects for the kids to do while the adults are shmoozing. I didn't make any fancy cake, I just made 100 cupcakes choc. & vanilla , and let everyone decorate them with different frosting and sprinkles etc. by themselves. As for cookies, I let my son "help" me make a bunch of Mem cookies since thats "his" letter.
Also, its a good idea to have a teenage girl specifically there to supervise the arts & crafts so you don't have to.
These are such cute ideas here for cakes. I'll have to remember to look them up for the next one!

hisorerus

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 7:24 pm
You can also use Rice Krispy Treats to shape a Yarmulka, Tzitzis, scissors, or whatever.

shoy18

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 7:46 pm
you can make a kippahcake by just buying a domb shaped cake pan, and decorating it like a kippa.

or you can buy mini domb cake pans and have the kids decorate them like kippahs

amother

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 7:56 pm
my son's upshernish is on tu bishvat. Any cake... ideas how to connect the 2.

hisorerus

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 8:11 pm
Cut fruits and decorate them like yarmulkas- I.e. orange halves, etc.?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 8:13 pm
Make a cake in the shape of a tree? Obviously tree is a big inyan by 15 Shevat, and one reason given for waiting until 3 to cut hair is because a person is compared to a tree, just like we don't touch the fruit for three years, same with hair.

hadasa

Post Sat, Dec 10 2005, 11:48 am
When the Baal Hatanya took his grandson, the Tzemach Tzedek to Cheder for the first time, he explained to him that an Alef is made up of a Yud on top (Hashem) a Yud on the bottom (the Jewish people) and a Vav in the middle (Torah and Mitzvos that connect them).

So at my son's Upshernish we prepared cutouts and every child made an Alef with the sky on top (blue paper with cotton clouds) cutout dolls on the bottom and a Torah in the middle.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics