Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Wearing clothing before the 9 days

Loving Mother

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:39 pm
I'm just curious how many people wear their clothing before the 9 days- so that they are not fresh anymore. I grew up not doing it but now my husband encourages me to do it because he says it's the Halachah... it's very difficult for me each year the day before the 9 days (like today) to put on all my clothing etc...any advice on how to make it easier?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:44 pm
Yes, I grew up doing it and still do.

You don't have to do it all the last night, you can do a few over the course of a few days. We try to wear it for about 15 minutes which isn't so long.

Some people wear a few at once to minimize time.

lkwdmom2

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:07 pm
I step on it with shoes before I put it on
The point is that it’s not freshly washed so if it’s on the floor stepped on that’s ok

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:29 pm
Didn't grow up with that, so we don't.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:40 pm
lkwdmom2 wrote:
I step on it with shoes before I put it on
The point is that it’s not freshly washed so if it’s on the floor stepped on that’s ok

Just want to say not everyone holds like that. Seems like my kids picked that up in camp but I've asked a couple of rabbonim and was told that's very bdi even. I even had a chashash one year that I may need to switch to maternity in the middle and was told even if it was in storage for years, it needs to be preworn.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:59 pm
I don't wash clothes the week before and have my kids reuse everything. I keep in mind that my grandmother had 4 dresses as a child and she managed. The harder part for me is the no showers/cold shower.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:07 pm
That being said, I don't have my younger children do this. Only gedolim. There is no chinuch in aveilus plus technically we can wash their clothing as they can't keep them clean and aren't of bar/bas mitzvah age.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:23 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Just want to say not everyone holds like that. Seems like my kids picked that up in camp but I've asked a couple of rabbonim and was told that's very bdi even. I even had a chashash one year that I may need to switch to maternity in the middle and was told even if it was in storage for years, it needs to be preworn.

That might be done during actual aveilus when one can't practically wear it in advance or ask someone else to. I think it's more bedieved for the 9 days. But not necessarily according to all opinions.

Java

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Didn't grow up with that, so we don't.

Same here. And I know a lot of people who don't

sabertooth

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:39 pm
I grew up with it. It was exciting. We would set a timer for ten minutes and then everyone would run into their rooms and change. It was a whole thing.
My husband just steps in his stuff before he wears them. I’ve been doing that for years but today I decided to wear all my clothes.

M0mmy

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:54 pm
Grew up wearing our clothes for a certain amount of time (don't remember how long), now I just try to keep the clothes that are still presentable for about a week before (and change into a couple extra if need be)...

Kids are still young enough that we can wash their clothes, so no point there.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:57 pm
Didn't grow up with it but am doing it since I got married.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:00 pm
I just heard that some ppl do that with underwear too. and in this heat!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions