Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Results of less sugar.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 4:18 am
I have a jelly roll recipe calling for 3/4 cup sugar.

I found it way to sweet so I cut down to 1/2 cup.

its still quite sweet can I try half of 3/4 or will reducing so much effect the results of the cake -
not in taste but texture etc...

the recipe has cocoa in it so I am wondering if there is excess sugar in it to sweeten the cocoa and not so much for the balance of the recipe....

FreshGrandma

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 4:37 am
Does reducing sugar really affect structure?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 4:52 am
FreshGrandma wrote:

this is exactly my question.

BatZion

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:59 am
I'd be hesitant to cut that much. I always cut 1/4 cup off recipes that have a cup of sugar and sometimes more but yes, it affects texture, and yes, in your case, it could very well be to offset the bitterness of the cocoa...said as a completely amateur baker...

Simple1

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:38 am
I would just try looking for a different recipe that has less sugar.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:42 am
My rule of thumb for cocoa is at least as much sugar as cocoa. But many people will find that too bitter. Also, yes at a certain point it affects the texture of the cake.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 10:48 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
My rule of thumb for cocoa is at least as much sugar as cocoa. But many people will find that too bitter. Also, yes at a certain point it affects the texture of the cake.

the cocoa is a 1/3 cup.

I only put in 1/4 cup so I put less sugar.

but I want to know what the maximum you can cut...some people reduce sugar in cookies to 1/2 the amount.

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 10:51 am
I pretty much always halve the sugar in recipes. I did hear that the sugar to cocoa ratio should be 2 to 1 as in double sugar than Cocoa. I find that too sweet still and I'll put in less than that.
I've never found halving the sugar to change the texture

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 10:55 am
amother [ Clematis ] wrote:
I pretty much always halve the sugar in recipes. I did hear that the sugar to cocoa ratio should be 2 to 1 as in double sugar than Cocoa. I find that too sweet still and I'll put in less than that.
I've never found halving the sugar to change the texture

thanks so much for that!

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 11:21 am
FreshGrandma wrote:

Yes, it does.

While I'm known for not making meals in this house, I do bake a good deal. Baking is science, pretty much. A quarter cup of sugar for a recipe that serves how many people?

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 11:31 am
I also always half the sugar, sometimes even more. Rarely is it not sweet enough. I can't answer re texture as I don't try full sugar to compare.

iyar

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:10 pm
I reduce sugar in a lot of recipes but occasionally bake them full sugar. Reducing sugar does change the texture. You can leave out a quarter of the sugar in a recipe without making much of a difference but if you cut the sugar in half you'll notice. I just baked cookies and cut the sugar a lot and dh asked if I left them in the oven too long Smile

Simple1

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:17 pm
I once left out the white sugar accidentally in a chocolate chip recipe, which is basically half the sugar, and it came out dry

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 1:13 pm
Here is a great article with information about reducing sugar in baking: https://food52.com/blog/15831-.....ecipe
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking