Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby fell off my bed

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:27 am
I fell asleep holding him by mistake and I heard a bang and he started screaming. He’s sleeping now. I’m traumatized. What am I supposed to look out for, to make sure everything’s fine? I know he’s not supposed to sleep right after banging head but what should I do? He usually is sleeping now. Not unusual. Should I wake him? He’s about 2.5 months old. Ty

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:29 am
It happens to many people. Take him to the pediatrician today so that they can make sure he didn’t injure his head or anything else.

happy chick

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:30 am
At that age, I would call my pediatrician immediately. Not to scare you, kids are super resilient and most likely he's fine, but always better safe than sorry. If the office isn't open yet , call the emergency line and follow whatever your Dr tells you. Hatzlacha.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:39 am
It happens to all of us at some point.

Take him to the doctor in the morning.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:05 am
If your baby was screaming, kicking with all limbs, then he is fine.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:11 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

Not true. That just means he was conscious. He can still have an injury

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:13 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

I would leave that for the doctor to decide.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:20 am
I bring my baby to ED for bed falls. Better safe than sorry. And one (older) baby ended up developing a hematoma so I was glad I brought him

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:46 am
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
I bring my baby to ED for bed falls. Better safe than sorry. And one (older) baby ended up developing a hematoma so I was glad I brought him

Rather take to pediatrician than ED, hospitals can call child services and open an abuse case.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:51 am
OP, sleep deprivation is real and can have real consequences. My baby would wake up every couple of hours. After a few scary times of my waking up holding my baby (no recollection picking her up) I was told by multiple nurses and medical staff to move my baby out of my room, even though she was only 3.5 months.

Keeping your baby in your room is a guideline that is safer for most but not all babies. Definitely not if it means mommy is picking them up and feeding them while sleeping. Baby was right next door and we had a monitor so I still went to her every time she cried, but putting her next door meant I was much more likely to wake up when getting her.

If you're not sure, ask the doctor about this when taking to be checked.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:53 am
OP how high is your bed? Is the floor carpeted?

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:58 am
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
Rather take to pediatrician than ED, hospitals can call child services and open an abuse case.

Doctor sent me to the ED when the hematoma was suspected. And hematoma or skull fracture can only be diagnosed by head CT which pediatricians don’t have in their office

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 6:47 am
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:

I was scared of this too but it happened in middle of the night and I wasn’t going to wait until the morning to get checked out (baby was acting fine and smiling and alert but had big bump..turns out it was skull fracture and hematoma) but everyone in the hospital was so, so nice and understanding. They did send in social worker as per protocol but I experienced more judgementalness irl from my friends than anyone in the hospital-they were all just so nice and reassuring. Don’t let that be a reason that holds you back from going!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:34 am
Tysm everyone! I spoke to my dr and bh baby seems to be 100% fine.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:38 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
OP, sleep deprivation is real and can have real consequences. My baby would wake up every couple of hours. After a few scary times of my waking up holding my baby (no recollection picking her up) I was told by multiple nurses and medical staff to move my baby out of my room, even though she was only 3.5 months.

Keeping your baby in your room is a guideline that is safer for most but not all babies. Definitely not if it means mommy is picking them up and feeding them while sleeping. Baby was right next door and we had a monitor so I still went to her every time she cried, but putting her next door meant I was much more likely to wake up when getting her.

If you're not sure, ask the doctor about this when taking to be checked.

Bh my baby is a pretty good sleeper and I’m not sleep deprived. This was after 7:00 am. I wasn’t even feeding him anymore, I was just holding him after I fed him and I guess I dozed off. When he wakes up in middle of the night, I take him out, feed him and put him back in his bassinet. That usually takes about 5-10 minutes total, as he doesn’t have a full feeding in middle of the night. I always remember taking him out and feeding him but thanks for your advice!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:07 am
Happy to hear baby is fine!
I would look up safe co sleeping so that in the future when your baby wants to be in your bed and you're exhausted, you can feel calm that it's safe.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:01 am
Op I’m so happy to hear
Such a scare

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 11:43 am
I keep my mattress on the floor so I don't have to worry about baby falling off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics