Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Canned tomatoes for matbucha or turkish salad?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:51 pm
Can I make matbucha or turkish salad with canned, diced tomatoes? if so, how? TIA

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 3:45 pm
bump

montrealmommy

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 4:44 pm
I did it once, same as using reg. tomatoes but I didn't like the taste - fresh tomatoes give so much more flavor and well, freshness. But as for the recipe, no different.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 5:05 pm
thanks.

cookielady

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 5:22 pm
I make mine with canned tomatoes and one can tomatoe paste, its great!

will post recipe when I can.

Tila

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:26 pm
I just requestwed a recipe for this sald in the morrocan section. SO, please enlighten me!!!!! Thanx LOL

sky

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:38 pm
I've made turkish salad from canned potatoes and it was very good. I think the recipe was from the enlightened cookbook.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:39 pm
malkief wrote:
I've made turkish salad from canned potatoes and it was very good. I think the recipe was from the enlightened cookbook.

Do you mean tomatoes? Confused

AGINY

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:06 pm
Just posted this under the other matbucha thread, but here it is again.

Tried and true, no fail.

You can make as much as you want, the amounts are:
for each two cans of hunts stewed tomatos (not pealed tomatos and not tomato sauce) you use one jalepeno and one clove of fresh crushed garlic.

Heat a drop of oil till HOT. Add jalepenos and garlic and then right away add the stewed tomatos. Bring to a boil then turn down to low and let it simmer for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time until ALL the liquid has boiled out and it is thick and a rich red.

This is a staple in my house, I make it pareve and use it as a base for shakshuka, as a topping for baked fish, and my husband puts it on everything that most people each ketchup with. I do ten cans at a time, but like I said, you can do as much or as little as you want. It stays a full two weeks in the fridge.

AGINY

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:10 pm
yo'ma wrote:
malkief wrote:

You remind me of a hysterical story that happened with my sister and her friend who has no idea how to cook. She ate a shabbos meal at my sister's house and loved the rattatoille (sorry, don't know how to spell it). She asked my sister for the recipe and when my sister said two cans of peeled tomatos, the friend didn't hear correctly and wrote down two cans peeled potatos. Not having a clue in the kitchen, she didn't realise it made no sense, and after attempting the salad, she called my sister to find out why it was so different to the one she had tasted at my sister's house.

When my sister finally realised the mistake, she couldn't stop laughing. When she repeated the story to me I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:13 pm
I use fresh everything for my matbucha, but canned tomatoes is the one thing that isn't.

it gets rave reviews though, so seems to work.

cookielady

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:51 pm
Matbucha (I think I got this from RedRuby)
3-4 onions chopped
1-2 green peppers chopped
4-6 stalks of celery
1 (30 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
1(6 oz) can of tomatoe paste
one head of garlic, crushed
1 dash of tamari sauce
juice of 1/2 a lemon

Sautee the onions, green peppers, and celery in a very small amount of oil. When vegetables are tender/crisp. add crushed tomatoes and tomatoe paste. Stir and let it simmer for a while. Then add head of garlic, Stir. Add a flew splashes of tamari and a squeeze of lemon juice. Simmer for 2-4 hours. It keeps in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.

sky

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 5:43 pm
yo'ma wrote:
malkief wrote:

yeah, thanks!

koolmother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 5:53 pm
I always make it with diced tomatoes and it comes out amazing

Tila

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 7:43 am
How about roasted red peppers? Or does that make it watery? THANX for the recipe.

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 10:50 am
Tila wrote:
How about roasted red peppers? Or does that make it watery? THANX for the recipe.

the longer you cook the mabouha the more water will evaporate (thats why when using real tomatoes it takes longer to cook that when using the cans) so you can def use roasted peppers!

Tila

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 9:34 am
Thanx!! I am too lazy to try it for this shabbat. Maybe next thurs nite I will try it!!

israel22

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 2:07 am
cookielady wrote:
Matbucha (I think I got this from RedRuby)
3-4 onions chopped
1-2 green peppers chopped
4-6 stalks of celery
1 (30 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
1(6 oz) can of tomatoe paste
one head of garlic, crushed
1 dash of tamari sauce
juice of 1/2 a lemon

Sautee the onions, green peppers, and celery in a very small amount of oil. When vegetables are tender/crisp. add crushed tomatoes and tomatoe paste. Stir and let it simmer for a while. Then add head of garlic, Stir. Add a flew splashes of tamari and a squeeze of lemon juice. Simmer for 2-4 hours. It keeps in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.

is this spicy? I love matbuchah and its shmitta so I would use canned and all that work would rather it not be spicy!

cookielady

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 9:46 am
Its not spicy, we dont like it that way. If one would want it spicy they could add red pepper flakes.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:48 am
ah, I found the trhead it came from !!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics