Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Linden Board of Ed vs Stars
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 7:49 pm
I would appreciate any feedback on these two schools.
Asking because my four year old with sensory issues would benefit from OT and these two schools were mentioned as options to obtain therapy via Board of Ed.
TIA.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 8:58 pm
I thought Stars only does speech, could be I am wrong.
Good luck getting into Stars they are very picky who they take.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 8:58 pm
AFAIK, your child needs to be approved first before you apply. At least that was my experience.

amother
Fern

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:35 pm
Did BOE approve you for placement?

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:47 pm
STARS provides OT PT and speech therapy. It is a great program, I know firsthand.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 10:35 pm
My daughter is in Linden, continuing there this coming year. I am thrilled. They have an extremely well rounded program, addressing the whole child, all around. They also have all therapy services.
I've never sent to Stars, but it seems that's more of a Language based program, Linden is better for all other issues/delays.
I'll just say that I originally wanted to send to Stars but couldn't get in, now I'm choosing to stay in Linden even if I can probably get in for the new year. My daughter is thriving in every way.
Either way you need to get evaluated through the Board of Ed. first.

Any specific questions?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 10:35 pm
You will get a lot more therapy in Linden.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 10:41 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
You will get a lot more therapy in Linden.

Yes. And the general program is great that that adds to it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 11:48 pm
Thank you all for the feedback!
My son did get approved for placement by the boe. For those that sent to Linden or who know someone that did, what did you do about the child learning hebrew/yiddish subjects? Also is it hard getting into a cheder for primary after Linden vs Stars? Spoke to stars a while ago and said to send the iep when I have it. I did. But can’t reach anyone there. Trying all week.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 12:14 am
STARS has great therapy also. I think linden is for a child that needs more intense therapy. I think the stars office was closed this week and should probably be open again next week.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 2:12 am
I know a mother who used stars and was very pleased.

Linden is a public school and doesn't teach any Jewish subjects.

I heard linden kids had some Jewish classes twice a week, on Sunday and another after school day.
Parents arranged and paid for this.

Stars charges some tuition for Jewish lessons which are from 9-10.30.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 3:02 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I know a mother who used stars and was very pleased.

Linden is a public school and doesn't teach any Jewish subjects.

I heard linden kids had some Jewish classes twice a week, on Sunday and another after school day.
Parents arranged and paid for this.

Stars charges some tuition for Jewish lessons which are from 9-10.30.

Stars tuition is now 500 per month. There is no transportation or lunch fyi

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 10:57 am
The thing to find out is - do the schools accept kids who went to Linden?

I know that schools accept kids who went to STARS - find out about Linden.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:57 am
My son was not approved for placement. I would have sent him to STARS. Linden is a more intense program for kids who need more than STARS offers. And like others said Linden is public.

If you have older kids already in school you shouldn't have an issue with Primary either way.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 12:13 pm
amother Fern wrote:
My son was not approved for placement. I would have sent him to STARS. Linden is a more intense program for kids who need more than STARS offers. And like others said Linden is public.

If you have older kids already in school you shouldn't have an issue with Primary either way.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but do you mind me asking where you sent your son if you were not approved? I'm in the process now and I'm hoping to send to STARS but at the same time also trying to find a backup option.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 12:21 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
I don't mean to hijack the thread but do you mind me asking where you sent your son if you were not approved? I'm in the process now and I'm hoping to send to STARS but at the same time also trying to find a backup option.
Looking back I jumped to evaluate too early. The three year old morah told me he was behind and I panicked. BOE said he was borderline and to wait and see if he caught up or fell behind. BH by the time he finished 3 year olds he was fully caught up and ready for a regular 4 year old group.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 12:28 pm
amother Fern wrote:
Looking back I jumped to evaluate too early. The three year old morah told me he was behind and I panicked. BOE said he was borderline and to wait and see if he caught up or fell behind. BH by the time he finished 3 year olds he was fully caught up and ready for a regular 4 year old group.

It was responsible of you to have child evaluated if teacher expressed concerns.
No need to feel ashamed.

It is not unusual for children who are "borderline" to catch up - but sometimes they
fall further behind as well.

(I am a SEIT)

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:11 pm
Reach out to the people at the Ziva Kriger Children's services. They are very knowledgeable and can guide you for the best place for your son when you tell them more about him.

emi1812

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback!
My son did get approved for placement by the boe. For those that sent to Linden or who know someone that did, what did you do about the child learning hebrew/yiddish subjects? Also is it hard getting into a cheder for primary after Linden vs Stars? Spoke to stars a while ago and said to send the iep when I have it. I did. But can’t reach anyone there. Trying all week.

My son went to both Linden and Stars. To be really honest, it will be hard to get a kid into school from either program. Schools are very reluctant to accept a Stars kid, and a lot more reluctant to accept a Linden kid. If you have an older sibling of the same gender already in a school, then the school has to take your Stars/Linden sibling & you won’t have any issues. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I am saying that it’s incredibly challenging to get your child accepted to school from Stars and much more so from Linden if you don’t already have a child of the same gender in a school.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 12:47 am
My son is iyh going to linden in September. He needs OT and PT and the board of Ed said linden is the best placement. Zeva Krieger foundation recommended linden. I’m hoping to send him to kochvei ohr in the cheder next year for primary. He is going to chana faigy Schwartz for clubs for aleph bais, parsha, Yom tov, etc. shainy Schloss is amazing in linden. He will get free transportation and kosher breakfast and lunch.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries