Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Her Majesty the Queen has Passed Away
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

4g01o

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 2:26 am
My Grandmother (may she live until 120, and be well) was at the coronation! She wasn't so emotional when she heard the news although it's possibly to do with her own old age/decline.
I really feel like a big part of Britain has been lost, and forever. So sad Sad there is something special about a Queen, especially over a King. Now we're only going to know of kings in this lifetime.

vicki

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 5:57 am
Fab4 wrote:
My Grandmother (may she live until 120, and be well) was at the coronation! She wasn't so emotional when she heard the news although it's possibly to do with her own old age/decline.
I really feel like a big part of Britain has been lost, and forever. So sad Sad there is something special about a Queen, especially over a King. Now we're only going to know of kings in this lifetime.

Looks outside of the UK.
Denmark has a queen - Queen Margrethe II.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 7:26 am
My father remembers the Coronation. He was five at the time, and they watched it on a tiny black and white television, and ate egg and chips for lunch! He is rather stunned. The lying in state will be in Westminster Hall, rather than actually in the Abbey, so he is thinking of going to say goodbye.

I've lived most of my life in Israel, but times like this remind me how strong my English roots are. I'm still shocked. Next time I go to England, it won't be the same country.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 10:40 am
I just turned the news on and I must say, the British have more sense of class and style than the Dutch. I mean, my GP wears jeans and a t-shirt and I call him by his first name. My husband's first encounter with a Dutch doctor was because of our lack of style and class strange. When DH goes to an office he is dressed up.
Anyhoo, seeing the whole British Parliament in black and the officials all in black as well is so special.

sequoia

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 10:45 am
I cried until 3 am.

I don’t know why her death affected me so deeply.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 11:13 am
sequoia wrote:
I cried until 3 am.

I don’t know why her death affected me so deeply.

One thing they've been saying a lot is that she was a constant figure in a changing world. It may be the loss of that representation of stability that is hitting you so hard.

monkeymamma

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 1:59 pm
You can watch the memorial service live:

estherj

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 4:30 pm
Can someone clue me in? Has the Queen done anything in her life to merit people crying over her until 3am? Has she fought wars? Raised or lowered taxes? Made risky political appointments or votes? Cracked down on crime? Anything? If there’s something I’m missing please let me know.

The only thing I am hearing is that she was “a constant figure in a changing world”. That sounds like that huge old tree down the block from me that they said was around since colonial times. Whet it came down in a storm people in the neighborhood were nostalgic about it. Is that all there is?

Now lehavdil R Yanky Meyer who started misaskim and helped comfort hundreds of thousands of grieving families, almanos, and yesomim, helped bring thousands of Jews to kevuras yisroel with dignity, lived every second of his life for others, and did so much more quietly without fanfare is someone we should mourn and cry for until there are no tears.

Congresswoman

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 4:38 pm
Del

Last edited by Congresswoman on Thu, Mar 16 2023, 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 5:36 pm
Congresswoman wrote:
טראכט נאר אריין אין דעם:

א מענטש וואס האט נישט געהאט קיין שום פראקטישע איינפלוס, בעיקר סימבאליש.

איז אויפגענומען געווארן בלויז אלץ א המשך צו די שושולת, אירע מאמע איז געווען קעניגן. נישט ווייל זי איז געווען עפעס א מורם מעם אדער א ספעציעלע פערזענליכקייט.

קיינער פארשטייט נישט פארוואס מען דארף דאס האבן בכלל אבער עס האט אפגעקאסט מיליארדן פארן פאלק.

די קינדער, אייניקלעך און אור אייניקלעך די בנש"קים,יעדער מיט אויפגעבלאזענען טיטלען אבער א באנדע פאראזיטן וואס האבן גארנישט געטון און געלעבט אויפן חשבון פון פאלק.

געהעריגע רעביסטעווע..

Copied from a Yiddish forum. I though it’s funny..

Can you translate please?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 5:50 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Can you translate please?

I put it through google translate bit by bit.

etky

Post Sat, Sep 10 2022, 2:48 pm
estherj wrote:
Can someone clue me in? Has the Queen done anything in her life to merit people crying over her until 3am? Has she fought wars? Raised or lowered taxes? Made risky political appointments or votes? Cracked down on crime? Anything? If there’s something I’m missing please let me know.

The only thing I am hearing is that she was “a constant figure in a changing world”. That sounds like that huge old tree down the block from me that they said was around since colonial times. Whet it came down in a storm people in the neighborhood were nostalgic about it. Is that all there is?

Now lehavdil R Yanky Meyer who started misaskim and helped comfort hundreds of thousands of grieving families, almanos, and yesomim, helped bring thousands of Jews to kevuras yisroel with dignity, lived every second of his life for others, and did so much more quietly without fanfare is someone we should mourn and cry for until there are no tears.

Why does one negate the other?
If I knew this Yanky Meyer I would probably be very sad about his passing, as I have been in the past about the passing of many virtuous people who I knew or knew about.
The sadness associated with a historical event like the death of Queen Elizabeth is a different type of feeling.
When such a well known public figure dies, it changes the world landscape and that can evoke a host of different feelings in people, depending on who they are, where they are in life and what their experiences have been and what the person who passed away signified for them, if anything.
To me, the Queen signified someone who was devoted to her duties and who performed her job impeccably. even at the inevitable price of her personal life. That type of dedication resonates with me as does the fact that the values that she represented were counter-cultural in our modern world.
I don't think there's anything untoward about taking a moment to appreciate the enormity and complexity of her life time of service and to ponder the differences between the world she was born into and the world that she leaves behind.

notna

Post Sat, Sep 10 2022, 8:47 pm
vicki wrote:
Looks outside of the UK.
Denmark has a queen - Queen Margrethe II.

Many if the next-in-line to throne in other European countries are girls and as such, will be queens one day. Spain, Belgium, Holland, Sweden and Norway.

4g01o

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 2:41 am
notna wrote:
Many if the next-in-line to throne in other European countries are girls and as such, will be queens one day. Spain, Belgium, Holland, Sweden and Norway.

OK great but it doesn't mean anything to me. I'm a born and bred Brit so I don't care about those 'little' Queen's.
I meant that 'we' my kids and I, dh etc. Will only know Kings from now...
Unless c.v something happens to all the men then princess Charlotte will be queen. But that's highly unlikely.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 3:06 am
Foreign queens don't really count...

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:30 am
etky wrote:
If I knew this Yanky Meyer I would probably be very sad about his passing, as I have been in the past about the passing of many virtuous people who I knew or knew about.
The sadness associated with a historical event like the death of Queen Elizabeth is a different type of feeling.
When such a well known public figure dies, it changes the world landscape and that can evoke a host of different feelings in people, depending on who they are, where they are in life and what their experiences have been and what the person who passed away signified for them, if anything.
To me, the Queen signified someone who was devoted to her duties and who performed her job impeccably. even at the inevitable price of her personal life. That type of dedication resonates with me as does the fact that the values that she represented were counter-cultural in our modern world.
I don't think there's anything untoward about taking a moment to appreciate the enormity and complexity of her life time of service and to ponder the differences between the world she was born into and the world that she leaves behind.

You may not have know R' Yanky Meyer, zt"l, but if you get any frum publication (JP to Binah and everything in between) you can be sure you will see articles that will make you appreciate the loss.

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 1:16 pm
I find it amazing how fast everything is set in motion. William is now prince of wales without ceremony. Now all the news is prince and princess of Wales.

And Harry and Meghan joined them and the four are walking around together. I’m betting Charles reinstates their titles.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 1:36 pm
He might want to wait until after their book comes out...

estherj

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 1:49 pm
etky wrote:

I tried searching for her accomplishments multiple times. There were none. She simply existed. The emperor has no clothes.Here are the Google search results:

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 2:23 pm
estherj wrote:
I tried searching for her accomplishments multiple times. There were none. She simply existed. The emperor has no clothes.Here are the Google search results:

She was queen of the commonwealth. On a daily basis she met and advised with countless foreign leaders and officials. She was briefed on numerous world events and lent her political clout to maintaining relationships and foreign trade. She is theoretically not a political figure, but hosting and meetings with other states ensure good relations, and people imply that her influence was far more than people understand. She traveled extensively to other countries and had grueling visits. She did a lot to heal the rift between England and Ireland, even despite the murders of her cousins.

In a declining empire, she kept England healthy, vital, and relevant. She met with the public often, something her ancestors barely did, and kept England feeling pride in themselves.

All this doesn’t even touch on her charitable works.

She handpicked various charities and hospitals to champion, and spent hours on the daily going to them directly to promote them to the public. She was patron of over 600 charities, which instantly boosted their appeal to the public and ensured financial success of those charities.

The royal family often says that their favorite task is investiture. It honors someone who’s dedicated their life to doing something for the good of society, and often brought attention to their life’s missions.

She worked constantly, consistently, and without complaint. She was thrifty and didn’t spend where it wasn’t warranted.

People who don’t understand global and world history don’t understand the impact someone with automatic fame, presence, and importance on the worlds stage.

This isn’t a contest between someone you know who was a tzadik and Queen Elizabeth.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics