Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Her Majesty the Queen has Passed Away
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

iyar

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:07 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
The queens coronation gown wasn’t tznius per our standards.

It wasn’t until the queen got older that she got more tznius. Diana (when she was alive), Kate, Meghan, etc CAN be tznius but often choose not to be.

Our tznius standards are for us, not for others.
I found the same thing strange on the abortion threads.
We want to be able to practice out religion freely, but we have no desire for others to live their lives according to our religious laws.
We appreciate good values, decency, kindness wherever we find them. The queen can be modest without covering everything the nice Jewish mothers talking about her here cover. Kate dresses modestly by her country's standards too, though if she wanted to donate her evening wear to a local gemach it would need some major alterations.

4g01o

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:07 pm
All of bbc's presenters are in black suits and ties. It says in case the queen dies! That's the protocol they were taught to do...

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:10 pm
Congresswoman wrote:
I have nothing against the queen.

But I find the concept of blood line and being royal because you were born into a specific family very outdated and elitist.

This day and age, one should earn a title.

What will happen when we have a king again? Is that the way it will be when we have the third beis hamikdash? Will there be kings?
In the Olsen days, when it wasn’t decided by blood line, it was decided by blood and war and conquering. That seems rather barbaric. How else should it be decided?

nightingale1

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:14 pm
I think the Queen was pretty influential when it came to royal modesty guidelines. I think most of the family followed it to respect her. With the queen gone, they may just get rid of those rules. And the concept of “Bnos melachim dress like it” becomes harder to understand for little girls who see literal princesses dressing just like everyone else.

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:23 pm
I’ve got BBC Radio 4 on, in the background.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:41 pm
A lot of what the Queen and the Royal Family do is behind the scenes.

The Queen has a weekly meeting with the Prime Ministerto discuss national policy. Every one of the fourteen (fifteen) Prime Ministers she has worked with over the course of seventy years, on both sides if the political divide, have been astounded at her grasp of events and the value of her advice. It is hard to overestimate the value of someone who has over seventy years of experience in national and international policy, and is secure in her position and able to think beyond the next election.

Quote:
She is unlike any other monarch in our history – she’s our longest-lived, longest-serving, longest-reigning monarch," he tells BBC 5 Live.

He adds that her sense of public duty pre-dated her accession to the throne in 1952.

"She just stands for this constancy, this sense of permanence and stability.

"And I think over the years people have probably taken her for granted often.

"Suddenly, at times like this, we all realise... how precious she is."

That's in addition to all the public work the entire Royal Family does.

She's an integral part if the England where I grew up. If this is the end, I'll miss her.

Ima_Shelli

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:48 pm
Somehow the “Kate is modest because she’s Royal” thing offends me almost as much as “Muslim women are tznius and we should learn from them”. Not sure why. I guess I just like having our own role models.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:51 pm
If you look up Operation London Bridge on Wikipedia, you can see the process for what happens following her death.

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:01 pm
WhatFor wrote:
If you look up Operation London Bridge on Wikipedia, you can see the process for what happens following her death.

So if I understand this correctly, the Queen could be dead already but the little people like us wont find out about it until the higher ups find out? So it could take another day til we learn of her death if she is actually dead? Is she still alive or already dead, that is the question. Why the secrecy?

WhatFor

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:04 pm
monkeymamma wrote:
So if I understand this correctly, the Queen could be dead already but the little people like us wont find out about it until the higher ups find out? So it could take another day til we learn of her death if she is actually dead? Is she still alive or already dead, that is the question. Why the secrecy?

You're not clear on why there is a desire to inform certain UK government officials and leaders of commonwealth countries before letting you know?

agreer

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:05 pm
monkeymamma wrote:

LOL ... she's Shroedinger's Queen!

Cheiny

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:07 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Is anyone else following?
I've been following The Crown, she is 96 and she reigned for over 70 years. How would the world be without the Queen?

What influence exactly do you believe she has on the world right now?

Cheiny

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:08 pm
s1 wrote:
Iyar- really well said!
I show photos of the coronation when I teach about Rosh Hashana, and have used the royal dress codes when teaching About tznius.

You mean you have no Jewish role models to use?

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:12 pm
Cheiny wrote:
What influence exactly do you believe she has on the world right now?

Nothing much, but that is not why I find it interesting. I find it historical interesting I hope that's not a crime in your book Smile

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:15 pm
WhatFor wrote:
You're not clear on why there is a desire to inform certain UK government officials and leaders of commonwealth countries before letting you know?

No, I dont understand the politics behind it which is why I asked for an explanation. If she is dead then whats the big deal about people founding out about it immediately? I am assuming that people are already lining up for her funeral anyway especially considering that they cancelled the changing of the guards for tomorrow which seems to indicate that she is indeed dead otherwise why cancel it? I am clearly not from England so I would like to understand what is happening and why its all such a mystery and secret.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:17 pm
Cheiny wrote:
You mean you have no Jewish role models to use?

Depends on your target. If I would teach at a school with more traditional kids, I would use the media and figures they will know about.
For instance, I used with my secular family and friend the concept of Tznius in comparison with the Royals a lot. As in, if I need to meet King Willem Alexander (the Dutch king) and his wife Queen Maxima I won't do that in my sweatpants and jumper with stains of my yogurt or porridge. I will look respectable.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:20 pm
Regardless of political considerations, it is standard policy in every country the when a major national or international figure dies, the family is given some time to grieve in private before having to face the media.

As for informing national leaders, many of them have developed a relationship with her over the years, and they need to be able to rearrange their schedules to accomodate an imminent State Funeral. People who need to react in public often need time to absorb the news first in private.

gr82no

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:22 pm
monkeymamma wrote:
No, I dont understand the politics behind it which is why I asked for an explanation. If she is dead then whats the big deal about people founding out about it immediately? I am assuming that people are already lining up for her funeral anyway especially considering that they cancelled the changing of the guards for tomorrow which seems to indicate that she is indeed dead otherwise why cancel it? I am clearly not from England so I would like to understand what is happening and why its all such a mystery and secret.

When anyone passes away we inform the close relatives before the public.
Same idea now
Imagine the prime minister is visiting a school and then someone asks her if she’s going to the funeral and she’s like what? The queen is alive. Seems really unprofessional.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:23 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
What will happen when we have a king again? Is that the way it will be when we have the third beis hamikdash? Will there be kings?
In the Olsen days, when it wasn’t decided by blood line, it was decided by blood and war and conquering. That seems rather barbaric. How else should it be decided?

What will a British king do that a queen wouldn't?
And if we think about English royalty over the last few generations, here are my impressions:
Queen Victoria, who was substantial
Prince was it Edward who abdicated for love
18th century kings who might have had some compromised faculties due to inbreeding (again, an impression, not a historical fact)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:24 pm
monkeymamma wrote:

It's not the same as say a president. It's ok imo if this is the protocol.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics